Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 14

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - Falkirk Bairn
Just notice Motorpoint have got a shed load of Brand new (pre Reg) Petrol & Diesels from £12,000 upwards.

Obviously represent "good value" if you could be sure they are not the Alfas of the past - rust & reliability were the 2 Rs in the Alfa School of hard knocks

Would you be brave enough to "invest" in one rather than a Ford Fiesta/Focus or an Astra at similar money?
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - WillDeBeest
Yes.

Well, more like yes but...

£12,000 is reasonable, if it's a nice car (the Giulietta is pretty but reviews have been lukewarm.) It's not going to cost money to fix in its warranty period, so that's the first three years taken care of. If it's only worth £7,000 at that point, it's cost £5,000 over three years, which isn't bad going. And it ought to be more fun at least than having your own rental car on the drive.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - Armel Coussine
My daughter had a Giulietta 1.6 for a while.

I loved it, terrific steering with a nice woodrim wheel, and a very charming purposeful growl on throttle.

Obviously not one of Alfa's best models, thirsty for its size and not very fast. I still loved it though. Alfa magic.

A well-sorted 2 litre version would be fun, if you could cope with some wayward front-drive stuff. Pure pleasure to me of course.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 18:15
Are you thinking of the current Bravo-based Golf rival, AC, or its wedgy late-1970s namesake?
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - Armel Coussine
The current one, not the wedge-shaped one.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - ....
I had one on hire a few years ago. 2.0 turbo diesel with 170 horsepower and the DNA button which livened things up. A pillars were quite wide but nice enough to drive. Pretty good value at £12k I would say, you don't get much new for that kind of money these days.
But would they take a burning Zafira in part exchange?
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - mikeyb
Had one on hire - cant recall what output but it was it was a fairly perky diesel.

Didn't really warm to it to be honest and felt a bit cheap / flimsy in some areas. OK to drive, but I would pick a golf / focus in preference unless the Alfa was considerably cheaper.

Other off putting factor is that a colleague bought one new and he has had a handful of issues with it over the last year - no major breakdowns , but irritating nonetheless.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - Falkirk Bairn
>>a colleague bought one new and he has had a handful of issues

Better than a former neighbour that had a 50% interest in an Alfa - the garage had the other 50%. That said he loved it!!!!!

He "Upgraded to a Brand new Merc" which promptly rusted before his very eyes.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - Bobby
Further to my previous thread on estates, Motorpoint have some fully specced Focus Titanium estates for £15k.
I like the look of them ! As long as not silver otherwise I would get mistaken for the local cops...
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - smokie
Buried in this page I think.

www.motorpoint.co.uk/used-cars/ford/focus/options/page=1-sm=0-smpg=0-sp=0-npp=100-sba=0

Are those really the true list prices of a Focus? None under £20k and many way over.
Part of a review of Ford Focus Estate I read recently

"The Focus isn’t cheap in the family estate car scheme of things, and it’s priced very closely to some seriously impressive rivals. What’s more, the car’s resale values have traditionally been pretty weak, and that will severely impact the whole-life cost of owning your car".

Ford list prices are not cheap - huge discounts to Fleets/Day rent etc etc

BUT this must put off many Company car buyers who pay BIK % based on full retail price.

Are Ford & Vx etc, just 2 examples, not shooting themselves in the foot - even Joe Public, timing his purchase or going via a Broker can get 15%+ off a Brand new car?

Ford XX or a BMW XX, MB C Class for the same as Mondeo, for the same/less BIK TAX deductions every month?
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - ....
Anyone considering a Mondeo would not entertain a 3 series or C class or they were not serious about a Mondeo sized car in the first place. The Mondeo is HUUUUUUGE these days.
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - mikeyb
>> Anyone considering a Mondeo would not entertain a 3 series or C class or they
>> were not serious about a Mondeo sized car in the first place. The Mondeo is
>> HUUUUUUGE these days.
>>

You would be surprised what people will sacrifice for a badge
 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - For Astra type money @ motorpoint +others! - DP
>> Anyone considering a Mondeo would not entertain a 3 series or C class or they
>> were not serious about a Mondeo sized car in the first place. The Mondeo is
>> HUUUUUUGE these days.
>>

I sat in a new Mondeo a month or two ago while my in-laws were signing the paperwork on their Fiesta. After a 3-Series, this feels like one hell of a barge. It's a huge car. And available with the tiny 1.0 Ecoboost 3 pot under the bonnet, which almost beggars belief.

Although I drive a BMW, badges have never bothered me, so the blue oval wouldn't deter me at all. I thought in terms of perceived quality, it ran the BMW fairly close to be honest. There's nothing wrong with the way it's put together, or the materials it's constructed from.

My biggest concern is the rumour that it's a little bit disappointing to drive. Plush and comfy rather than driver focused. The first time you'd ever level that at anything wearing a Mondeo badge.

Latest Forum Posts