Motoring Discussion > Third party bicycle insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 8

Third party bicycle insurance - Mapmaker
Anybody know the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get this?

(I am going to join Boris's London bicycle hire scheme - despite having said that I'd never cycle in London again, this is different!)

Where does everybody else go for their cover - I'm aware there are several keen cyclists on here.
 Third party bicycle insurance - FotheringtonTomas
I am not sure what "Boris's London bicycle hire scheme" is - however, as an "ordinary" cyclist (not a competitor or similar) it is very likely that you are covered by your household insurer's public liability cover.
 Third party bicycle insurance - Bromptonaut
Agree with FT that you're likley covered by your household insurance. Failing that it's worth joining the CTC (around £40) which gets you legal cover with your claims in respect of an 'others fault' accident.

I'm also tempted to try the Boris Bikes ( www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12444.aspx ) for the days when social or business comittments mean the Brompton is not practical.

Corrected link - didn't like the closed bracket at the end without a space
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 01:37
 Third party bicycle insurance - Collos
Most good cycle clubs include this in their membership otherwise use the ctc or rttc
 Third party bicycle insurance - L'escargot
For a premium in the region of £50 per year I'd sooner go for the best rather than the cheapest.
OK, escargot.

How exactly do you measure "best"?

Other than the level of third party cover, what constitutes "quality" in insurance? (Save, of course, getting it through the Nigerian Peoples Bank.)

In my experience, "most expensive" insurance generally means that several intermediaries are getting a cut.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 10:37
 Third party bicycle insurance - Bromptonaut
Third party cover comes with household insurance or as a benefit of being part of a membership organisation such as London Cycling Campaign or the Cyclists Touring Club. Given that it's about covering your legal liability to others I don't think 'quality' is a huge issue, to me 'quality' is about the service I get claiming for damage or loss to my stuff. One possible cost thing though is excess. It is IIRC £300 or so under the CTC policy (it certainly stopped them apying out when Bromp junior scraped a car with his handlebar!)

The £40 price of CTC membership also includes their other memebers services (touring advice etc), magazine, campaigning and most useful of all assiatance when I want to claim against another road user.
Fortunately Boris has thought of this, and the bicycles come with £2m of insurance cover. I wonder whether that is enough.
 Third party bicycle insurance - Fursty Ferret
Short of bowling over the Queen I can't think how you'd get through £2 million quid in insurance cover, and at that point you might have bigger issues on your mind than stopping to swap insurance details...

Edit: Come to think of it, if someone knocked me over on a bike through no fault of my own, and put me out of my chosen profession indefinitely, I'd probably be looking to settle in the 1.5 - 2 million price range.

Edit 2: As a cyclist, I recommend the CTC for cover.
Last edited by: Alfa Floor on Tue 27 Jul 10 at 18:28
Latest Forum Posts