Motoring Discussion > Bulge in tyre. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 82

Bulge in tyre. - Pat
Last November we had two new Pirelli Cinturato P7's fitted to the rear of the V70.

Yesterday we noticed a bulge in the sidewall of the off side one.

I called Kwikfit who came out and fitted them at home and they are coming out tomorrow to replace it but the old one has to go back to Pirelli to be tested to see if it is a fault in the tyre or 'we have hit a pot hole'

I can understand that we have to pay for a new one but apparently the refund will come directly from Pirelli if they are at fault.

The tyres have done 8000 miles and the car was tested at the end of October when it is reasonable to assume the bulge wasn't present, since then we have only done 250 local miles with no pot holes around to cause damage.

What are our chances of Pirelli finding a fault with it?

Has anyone else had this happen?

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - Manatee
My observations of bulges are that they seem to appear more on the inside wall than the outside. Never understood why that should be so.
 Bulge in tyre. - Runfer D'Hills
>> My observations of bulges are that they seem to appear more on the inside wall than the outside. Never understood why that should be so.

Speed humps?

Pat, given that it's a a year since your purchase the retailers responsibility may be coming to an end but I'd have thought your contract was with them rather than the manufacturer.
 Bulge in tyre. - CGNorwich
I guess it would be if the goods sold were faulty and not damaged by misuse but the problem is proving it. If Pirelli admit to a manufacturing fault and replace it then problem solved. If they say damaged by misuse it would be unlikely that the retailer would agree to replace it and without expert evidence difficult to pursue a claim.
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
Sales of Goods Act is your required reading. As Humph says the contract is with the seller. I have come across similar oddities in CAB. I would suggest at the moment they are complying with SoG....wait and see. If you paid by credit card and the tyre was over a 100 quid, CC company will also have joint liability. Cleaning the oven at the moment but I'll post a couple of links for you in a moment.
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
RP, can I borrow you for a day or so? I too have an oven.....:)

The tyre was £85+ and we only used Kwikfit because they were the cheapest as there was a £20 cash back offer if you bought two or more, which we did, and they paid with no problem.

The bulge is on the outside wall and there are no speed humps around this part of the Fen, the greasy sugar beet residue roads preclude the need for them!

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - Manatee

>> The bulge is on the outside wall and there are no speed humps around this
>> part of the Fen, the greasy sugar beet residue roads preclude the need for them!

Ah, so that's why those cars end up in the Drains on the dead straight bits?
 Bulge in tyre. - CGNorwich
Nowhere near the number of sugar beets on the roads that you saw 20 years ago. I assume that trucks are not so overloaded these days.
 Bulge in tyre. - Zero
>> Nowhere near the number of sugar beets on the roads that you saw 20 years
>> ago. I assume that trucks are not so overloaded these days.

plenty of black fen mud tho
 Bulge in tyre. - Zero
>>
>> >> The bulge is on the outside wall and there are no speed humps around
>> this
>> >> part of the Fen, the greasy sugar beet residue roads preclude the need for
>> them!
>>
>> Ah, so that's why those cars end up in the Drains on the dead straight
>> bits?

Pat is misleading you. Fen droves do have humps but a: no one put them there (unless you count mother nature) and b: they don't stop anyone speeding. So a combination of frozen beet juice and humps means the drains are littered with cars in the bottom of them.
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
Sweet
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
Horrible job..but therapeutic. Amazon are kings at doing this. Referring you to the makers rather than complying with SoG requirements We bought a steam mop from them 30 odd quid. Something broke and dealt with the importers or whoever direct. Solved very quickly. Seems to be the modern way.
 Bulge in tyre. - Zero
consumer rights are all well and good, but the consumer can not even get close to proving a a year old 8,000 mile tyre was not damaged by UK roads. Kwik Fit dont have the facilities to prove this either.

In this case you are completely in the hands of the manufacturer.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 13:58
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
One advantage of not buying some no name tyre maker.

>> Cleaning the oven at the moment...

Gosh, is your wife unwell? Give her our best wishes won't you?

;-)
 Bulge in tyre. - Zero
>>
>> >> Cleaning the oven at the moment...
>>
>> Gosh, is your wife unwell? Give her our best wishes won't you?
>>
>> ;-)

Never let it be said you could be mistaken for "21st century new man"
Don't know what you mean. I've only just now vacuumed the hall with that Henry thing of hers without being asked. She had dropped a glass and trodden on it so I got the bits up while she sat on the stairs and removed the larger pieces from her foot. Dog might have cut his paw otherwise.
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>>with the Henry

How quaint. A collectors item that, surely.
It's good for cleaning out cars. Has all manner of attachments. Although one thing always puzzles me, it has two levels of 'suck', sort of an ineffectual level and a proper one. I wonder when anyone would want a not very sucky setting.
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> It's good for cleaning out cars.

They are pretty good; Mrs CS has had two of them in the past, but you have to be careful that the bottom of the vac doesn't come away from the top, especially when carrying it up or down stairs!

These were replaced by an Oreck, which in turn is now due to be replaced by either a Dyson or a Bosch cordless jobbie.

I can't keep up with it all.
Sounds as though Mrs CS has a rather too generous housekeeping allowance to me. None of my business of course old boy, but y'know, multiple purchasing of perfectly adequate equipment...

;-)
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
I'm inclined to agree. There will be a review shortly.
 Bulge in tyre. - Manatee
>> one thing always
>> puzzles me, it has two levels of 'suck', sort of an ineffectual level and a
>> proper one. I wonder when anyone would want a not very sucky setting.

I believe the low-suck setting is for curtains, or so I've heard. Something terrible must happen if you do your nets at full power.
Ah, I see.

Tangentially, and I think I've asked this question before, but when you spend a lot of time in the car on your own you get to thinking about things, anyway, why do some people who live in high rise flats with nothing in their line of sight for 50 miles still have net curtains? It's almost as inexplicable as a BMW 316 isn't it?
 Bulge in tyre. - bathtub tom
>> why do some people who live in high rise flats with nothing in their line of sight for 50 miles still have net curtains?

Telescopes, drones?
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> Telescopes, drones?
>>

And nets are, well, rather nice...
 Bulge in tyre. - wokingham
Like the mystery of the frosted widows in Concorde's toilets!
Boot mounted rubber spoiler thingies on Volvo 360s used to bother me. Over that now though.
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
:-)
 Bulge in tyre. - Alanovich
>> Boot mounted rubber spoiler thingies on Volvo 360s used to bother me.

Me too. They ruined the original classic beauty and elegance of the car.
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
Even more :-)
 Bulge in tyre. - bathtub tom
Some rear engined Skodas had them too: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Skoda130estelle.JPG
 Bulge in tyre. - Armel Coussine
>> Some rear engined Skodas had them too:

I had one very like that. Good motor, very good, let down by poor quality components and general flimsiness. Great ride, good dependable handling and decently economical.
 Bulge in tyre. - WillDeBeest
...frosted widows in Concorde's toilets!
That's got my mind boggling. Members of the Mile High and Fifty Degrees Below Club, perhaps. Is there a Turner Prize-winning sculpture is that idea?
 Bulge in tyre. - neiltoo
>> ...frosted widows in Concorde's toilets!

Haven't been on Concorde, but I don't remember ever seeing a window in a modern jet plane.

Maybe someone knows different.....

8o)
 Bulge in tyre. - Zero
>> >> ...frosted widows in Concorde's toilets!
>>
>> Haven't been on Concorde, but I don't remember ever seeing a window in a modern
>> jet plane.
>>
>> Maybe someone knows different.....
>>
>> 8o)

Our resident pilot might, he spends all his working day staring out of the planes front windows.
>> She had dropped a glass and trodden on it

I don't want to worry you Humph, but could she possibly have been bigamously marrying an orthodox Jew while you were out? Just a thought.
No, I was in at the time AC so I'm fairly confident it wasn't that. She was though making quite a fuss so I felt something had to be done. I'm not entirely insensitive you know.
 Bulge in tyre. - Old Navy
Mrs ON has a Henry hoover, it is the only one she has not managed to break (yet). It is good for the car.
 Bulge in tyre. - Stuartli
>>Mrs ON has a Henry hoover>>

It's a Henry (brilliant little vacuum cleaner). Hoover is a brand name, not a generic term, although many use it as one...:-)

But all are eclipsed by a Sebo or a Miele......
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
People hoover carpets - they don't sebo or miele them.
:)
We used to have a henry but now we have something much posher, with two speeds. It is normally on maximum suck though, and a week or so back when I was dealing with some cobwebs, the bane of our life here, it swallowed my genuine turquoise Shi'ite rosary.

I stopped it immediately and opened it up, but the rosary wasn't to be seen. I had to dig into the impacted filth in the over-full bag until I felt it and could pull it out, unharmed.

Were I a believer I would probably have to get it purified by a mullah. I just hope it won't give me neck ailments next time I wear it as a necklace to mark some occasion.
To revert to the OP, I've had one or two lumpy tyres over the years, and one high-speed blowout.

When young and hopeful I thought retreaded tyres seemed a good idea, but they never were really. I don't think I ever lost all the tread off a tyre with a bang and a slap, but retreading never lasted long. I've done a lot of miles on tyres showing canvas, and somehow got away with it.
 Bulge in tyre. - Ted

>> Were I a believer I would probably have to get it purified by a mullah.

Incidentally, You can get Mullah yoghurts in skinny latte or cappuchino flavour now. Very nice.

I have a red Henry..delegated to the garage or workshop now. I don't use a bag in it but the other week it was hardly able to pick anything up and I thought it might be the end. I took out the big round filter and gave it a damn good hot wash and broggle and it sucks like a Tangiers w**** now.

Easy job...well done me !

By the way Pat...what do you use your oven for ?
>> But all are eclipsed by a Sebo or a Miele......
>>

The Henry (made by Numatic) replaced the Miele she killed, the Miele did last longer than most though.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 16:19
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
The Miele here is nearly 7 years old. Strong as an ox. Worth every penny.

Mrs RP was ironing. I don't mind cleaning the oven, listening to the radio...pondering life in general. Chemicals aren't half strong though. I had to wear latex gloves. Don't do Marigolds.
I've never done a Marigold either. There was a Margaret once I think, or maybe it was Melissa, but definitely not a Marigold.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 16:38
 Bulge in tyre. - R.P.
You are BBD !
No, not even close, as mentioned elsewhere, I've not touched my horn in years.
 Bulge in tyre. - Robin O'Reliant
We've got one of those G-Tech cordless vacs. Terrific suction and easy to shove about without tripping over leads and the dirt box compacts to stuff you pick up so it's easy to empty, but downside is no tools. I'll have to get one of those hand helds to go with it.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 17:14
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>>I'll have to get one of those hand helds to go with it.

I think the Dyson cordless model, one of the two the wife is interested in buying, comes with a 'hand held'. It's a removable part of the upright vac, apparently.
 Bulge in tyre. - Manatee
>>I think the Dyson cordless model, one of the two the wife is interested in buying

Take my advice, don't get it for her as a Christmas present.
>> >>
>> Take my advice, don't get it for her as a Christmas present.
>>

I dunno, I got Mrs O'Reliant a set of saucepans last year. Believe it or not, that is actually what she asked for.

Practical girl, Mrs O'Reliant.
 Bulge in tyre. - Manatee

>> Practical girl, Mrs O'Reliant.

So is Mrs Dugong; we have made that sort of arrangement sometimes but there's a terrifying unpredictability with these things and unless she has actually asked for it as a present (not agreed to your offer or suggestion, which is not the same thing at all) then I am cautious.

She's a mad keen gardener, so reasoning that it was a hobby, not a chore, I once gave a a super-duper new wheelbarrow for her birthday. It didn't quite hit the spot. Missed by a mile actually.
I once got my first wife a new set of hub caps for her Fiat Panda for Christmas. Fitted them too what's more, and that wasn't as straightforward as you might imagine, given that they were held on by the wheel bolts.

She was remarkably underwhelmed by what I had imagined was a thoughtful and very personal gift.

It was never going to last.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 17:40
 Bulge in tyre. - Shiny
>> What are our chances of Pirelli finding a fault with it?

About 100% in my experience. They always say it was caused by an impact, but good luck.
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> Take my advice, don't get it for her as a Christmas present.
>>

Too right.

She swears that I once bought her a half pound box of milk chocolates as a present on some special occasion or another. Although I have no memory of it whatsoever.
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
I've got the Dyson cordless model and I love it. It's so light yet flexible and comes to bits everywhere to make a different sort to do specific things.

Only fault is it needs a warning light a few minutes before it runs out of power, but I can live with that, I just do the worse bits first!

Oven Ted? Sausages, of course!

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> I've got the Dyson cordless model and I love it. It's so light yet flexible
>> and comes to bits everywhere to make a different sort to do specific things.

Thanks, Pat.
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> Thanks, Pat.

Pat

Wife tells me she's interested in the V6 Absolute model, but as this is more expensive than the other two cordless models in the range, she wonders if you know whether it is more powerful, or perhaps just has more attachments?

Best of luck with the tyre.

Bulge in tyre. - Zero

>> Wife tells me she's interested in the V6 Absolute model, but as this is more
>> expensive than the other two cordless models in the range, she wonders if you know
>> whether it is more powerful, or perhaps just has more attachments?

I would be wondering if she is paying for it.
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> I would be wondering if she is paying for it.
>>

No, it'll be an early birthday present.
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
It looks exactly the same as mine apart from the colour. It has all the same attachments and the same specs on time of use and charging.

You really don't need any more suction as I had to extricate the corner of a small doormat from mine last week, I forgot it was on Max Power!

It really is versatile, I can do the stairs again now with that one and Ian is always pinching it for the car too.

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> You really don't need any more suction

Most helpful. Thanks again.
 Bulge in tyre. - Clk Sec
>> I'd have thought your contract was with them rather than the manufacturer.

I agree.

However, we thought we were being fobbed off a while back with an item that needed to be replaced under guarantee. Not least of all because it took several emails before we received a curt response advising us the the manufacturer was responsible for any problems during the guarantee period, not the retailer.

We were expecting some problems here, but none of it. The manufacturer asked for 'photos, and the goods were replaced without further ado.

The only bulge I've had in a tyre was in the tread, and it took quite a while to find out where all the knocking was coming from.
>> >>
>> The only bulge I've had in a tyre was in the tread, and it took
>> quite a while to find out where all the knocking was coming from.
>>

I've had that and you're right, it's murder to find. I spent ages looking at suspension and steering joints before I spotted it. For all the noise it was making it was only a very slight little lump while the tyre was inflated, but when the fitter took it off it was huge.
 Bulge in tyre. - Ted
In more naive times, I once bought the Dragon a deep fat fryer for Chrimbo.

I often think that if she could have got me into it...I wouldn't be here now !
 Bulge in tyre. - Alastairw
But did you have chips for Xmas lunch?
 Bulge in tyre. - Bobby
I had this tyre issue before - bought 4 x all season tyres for the missus' car - she only was doing about 5k miles a year so seemed the sensible thing to do. Think they were the Kleber quadraxers.

Noticed about 5 months and 2k miles later there was a bulge in the outside of the tyre, same script as Pat, would need to send back to manufacturer to be tested. Of course meanwhile I had to fit another brand new Kleber to it..... and then they came back and said it must be pothole damage so no claim.

Frustrating but in the big picture of fairness, there was no way I could provide any evidence that it wasn't pothole damage.
You see cars regularly parked with two wheels on the pavement, often driven up a kerb none too gently. There must be a lot of damaged tyres about, and returned if noticed before they burst.
 Bulge in tyre. - Falkirk Bairn
>> You see cars regularly parked with two wheels on the pavement, often driven up a
>> kerb none too gently.

I pickup grandkids on Mondays. Park in a side street 200yds from school. About 5 mins later, every Monday, 65 plate Hyundai turns right into the street and whilst going forward, selects reverse and then clips the kerb with the rear wheels reversing back around the corner to face out - In the main road he reverses & either

1) Scuffs the kerb with the alloys
or
2) mounts the pavement with the 2 inside wheels

and switches off.

The car is new, it is always clean and the car could be fairly described as 1 elderly owner immaculate if it was to be sold (after refurb of alloys)
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
That's the scenario we're expecting Bobby, and as you say there is no way of proving any different. Did you get a detailed report at all?

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - Bobby
Honestly can't remember Pat, I think it was a phone call but not sure.
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
Well the new tyre is fitted but the whole thing has taken a completely different turn.

The fitter knew nothing about the tyre going back, or even about a bulge in it.

When I rang on Saturday I had a debit card in my hand for payment, but I wasn't asked for it so expected the fitter to take payment yesterday when it was fitted.

He knew nothing about that either and has no facility to do that.

I assumed they may have decided to replace it and sort out what percentage of payment for the tyre used would be due after the examination and report from Pirelli.

However about 4.30pm yesterday afternoon I had a call for Kwikfit asking for payment for the tyre fitted.
I told him I'd assumed it was going to be done after the examination since no payment was taken on Saturday morning and he immediately said the claim was nothing to do with Kwikfit and was up to Pirelli.

I quoted the SOG to him and he said he needed to get his manager to call me back.

I insisted that it would have to be this morning and so we wait!

I have looked at the British Tyre Manufacturers Association Consumer Guide and it appears I should have been asked to fill in a detailed form and signed it to give permission for the tyre to be examined (as this may cause damage and in effect, it is still my property).

So where do I go from here.

Is possession really nine tenths of the law:)

Does it give me a lever at all?

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - Bromptonaut
Do you still have the tyre or has the fitter taken it for disposal?
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
The fitter has taken it and as yet, no-one has rang for payment today.

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - rtj70
I hope they still have it to one-side so it can be checked. You say he originally knew nothing of the problem with the bulge. Best of luck getting the replacement tyre for nothing - it sounds like a problem with the tyre to me. But I'm not tyre expert.
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
Well I've had no phone call today from the manager, as promised, to ask for payment so as it stands at the moment I have a new tyre fitted and they have our old one.

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - No FM2R
I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they rang with a compromise offer. You'd probably be well advised to discuss beforehand what kind of offer you'd be happy to accept, and what you;d argue, just so that if such a call comes you can deal with it more easily.
 Bulge in tyre. - rtj70
I wouldn't be surprised if they rang to ask for payment and no longer had the other tyre.
 Bulge in tyre. - Pat
Thanks Mark, I have a copy of the BTMA consumer guide ready with the relevant points highlighted.

I suspect the tyre has been binned with a lot of others in which case I'm happy to let it lie.

I'm happy to pay for the mileage we've used, I'm happy to pay for the new tyre after sight of a detailed report from Pirelli proving the damage was caused by a pothole.

I can do no more.

Pat
 Bulge in tyre. - rtj70
The best thing is you spotted the bulge and did something about it. Instead of not knowing what the tyres on a car are like and causing a blow out or similar. If it does or does not cost you is something else. You and the car is safe.
Latest Forum Posts