Motoring Discussion > Dash Cameras Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 54

Dash Cameras - J Bonington Jagworth
Has anyone experience and/or advice on these? I can find lots of ads but not many helpful reviews - i.e. ones that don't just say "works great"...
Update - not entirely true, as have now looked on Amazon! Would still appreciate thoughts from the cognoscenti, though.
 Dash Cameras - bathtub tom
I've got one of these: tinyurl.com/oqp2orp

Cost me around twenty quid at the time! I believe Ted's got one too.

You seem to get what you pay for. Mine paid for itself when a van clipped me in a car park. The driver said he hadn't touched me until I pointed out the dash-cam.

I've never had to download evidence though.
 Dash Cameras - Bromptonaut
Well if you're a cyclist and put one on your helmet you turn into an insufferable vigilante.

For some reason though putting the same camera on your dash is different.
 Dash Cameras - Zero
>> Well if you're a cyclist and put one on your helmet you turn into an
>> insufferable vigilante.
>>
>> For some reason though putting the same camera on your dash is different.

No its not. Both are insufferable vigilantes. Cyclists with a Helmet cam tho seem to get the compulsion to go looking for trouble as well. If there isn't any they will create it.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 19:58
 Dash Cameras - CGNorwich
Do owners of dash cams ever look at the footage and say. "You know what I made a big error there. It was all my fault and I must improve my driving skills." or do they erase that bit.

I think I know the answer

Dash Cameras - Manatee
>> Do owners of dash cams ever look at the footage and say. "You know what
>> I made a big error there. It was all my fault and I must improve
>> my driving skills."

Never done it before, but I did that very thing the other day. I started to turn left into a major road, as a pick-up full of builders was overtaking on the bit of road I was turning into. No drama, and I would never overtake there myself, but I felt I was a bit too committed by the time I spotted him. The video confirmed it.
 Dash Cameras - Focusless
>> I've got one of these: tinyurl.com/oqp2orp
>>
>> Cost me around twenty quid at the time! I believe Ted's got one too.

Looks like the one I bought in February; £10 at the time. Only played with it a bit, but it does work, and I would keep it in the car if Mrs F didn't object to the wire hanging down (between unit and fag lighter). Sample footage on youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlc1rFbZ7Y

EDIT: I would aim it a bit lower to reduce the amount of sky making the ground too dark
Last edited by: Focusless on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 20:28
Thanks all. I notice that most (but not all) have a display that presumably operates all the time. I can see the value in being to view the results quickly, but I think I might find it distracting while driving.
 Dash Cameras - Zero
>> Thanks all. I notice that most (but not all) have a display that presumably operates
>> all the time. I can see the value in being to view the results quickly,
>> but I think I might find it distracting while driving.

Hardly, a: its too small to see anything b:its only showing you what you can see, you quickly get bored with it.
 Dash Cameras - Old Navy
>> Thanks all. I notice that most (but not all) have a display that presumably operates
>> all the time. I can see the value in being to view the results quickly,
>> but I think I might find it distracting while driving.
>>

The display on the Nextbase cameras switches off after about 30 seconds from engine start unless overridden on.
 Dash Cameras - Haywain
"The display on the Nextbase cameras switches off after about 30 seconds from engine start unless overridden on."

Yes - our Nextbase does that.
 Dash Cameras - Haywain
"Has anyone experience "

A couple of months ago, we bought one of these for my wife iirc, they were on offer for £40 at that time.
www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-101

I took it out of the car again a few days ago to reformat the card after getting a 'sd card error' message; I'll need to reread the instructions to do it.

We bought it because my wife has to use a cross-country, narrow-laned route to the school where she teaches, and a nearby converted middle-school is now taking 6th formers. The number of inexperienced, high-speed loons coming the other way in the middle of the road has increased vastly ........
 Dash Cameras - Zero

>> I took it out of the car again a few days ago to reformat the
>> card after getting a 'sd card error' message; I'll need to reread the instructions to
>> do it.

Do it on your pc
 Dash Cameras - Haywain
"Do it on your pc"

Is 'reformatting' the same as 'deleting all the files' ........ or is there more to it than that?
 Dash Cameras - Manatee
More to it. Navigate to it on your Windows PC, and right click to see the format option.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 22 Nov 15 at 21:21
 Dash Cameras - Ted

As BT says, I use the Super Legend. I have 3 but I've relegated the one on the Vitara to the back window and bought a slightly better one for the screen. I've also re-positioned it in the bottom offside corner at the front. I have watched my driving a few times but it's mainly to cover my own ass if some accusation is made and to record anything unusual or funny.

There is plenty of cable, I used to have it on the nearside of the mirror and there was ample to take across the top of the sunvisor, down the door trim and over the steering column to the ciggie lighter with about a metre to spare. The new one has a mini SD and 32gb will give about 5 hours. They don't come with SD cards but they're cheap enuff on Amazon.

If an incident happens I just note the approx time and download it when I get home. If on holiday I have spare cards with me in the car. The two spare cams will be going on SWM's Note.

This is the newer one

www.amazon.co.uk/Hayesmall-Vehicle-Recorder-G-sensor-Function/dp/B00YXDZNC0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448229019&sr=8-6&keywords=dash+cameras+for+cars

Only 15 & a half notes !
 Dash Cameras - Ted

The Super Legend screen flips up and you can't see it. The Hayesmall doesn't but I've not found it distracting at all.
 Dash Cameras - Stuartli
This seems an above average dash cam setup (seen it at around £149 now, but still rather expensive!):

www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/3/1/k1s-the-first-front-rear-hidden-1080p-dash-camera.html
 Dash Cameras - Bobby
I am onto my second and potentially about to be third dashcam.

The first one I bought just before we went to the states on holiday and I used it primarily to capture driving clips for posterity, although there was always the added benefit of evidence if I had been involved in an accident.

So I have some great clips now of driving down to and over the Hoover Dam, Rodeo Drive in LA with a Veyron in front of me, and a personal favourite, driving off the freeway and turning onto Vegas Boulevard and hearing a car full of gasps at the sight in front of us!

That dashcam died after about 15 months, (possibly something to do with being left in direct 50 degree sunlight at Hoover Dam - oops!) had only cost £40 and was recommended through Techmoan at the time.

I then replaces it with a Mobius Camera which is a lot smaller and discrete and doesn't have a screen attached. Downside is you obviously need to take the card out and out into laptop to view anything but very rarely do you do that. I take it out maybe every couple of months to check for software updates etc but other than that it just stays in the car permanently filming away.

Last week Aldi had one on offer for £29.99 and my dad tried to get one but was sold out - I got one in my local store so going to see if it is better than mine or not before I decide if he is getting it for his xmas!

I like the idea of dashcams but I hate the necessity of some folk who want to take clips and upload them to youtube purely because someone had a bad day and maybe cut them up on an overtake or whatever. The same folks that wear big square £300 cameras on their aerodynamic cushioned helmets in the off chance that they can film something to upload.

On a slight side note, I have got very frustrated recently with Police Scotland. There have been several cases locally where they have released CCTV images of vehicles or people that they want to trace for crimes, but these are going back to May time. If they were a lot more proactive and came out with " a robbery at x filling station, did you drive past, do you have a dashcam" then they may get better results.

Overall, I do think it is the case of you get what you pay for although there are some good imports (like the Mobius) that if you know where to look and what reviews to read, then you can get a decent camera for around £50. However the big let down for me is at night, especially in unlit roads. Yes, your camera will capture the fact that a vehicle hit you or was on wrong side of road or whatever but if it drives off, the chances of being able to read a reflective number plate with headlights shining on it at night are very slim, certainly from what I have experienced.

Wonder if the Nextbase cameras are better for that, one of them was recently given the Which? seal of approval.
 Dash Cameras - smokie
I have an Android dashcam app called Dailyroads. I have a screen mount for the phone anyway for use as satnav. Daytime pics were pretty good, night time less so. The friends and family were less than interested in watching me driving around so I stopped using it. :-) That was not long before an artic did 180 degree spin on the M6 right in front of me, which would have been good footage, especially as no people were harmed.

I did have some footage of particularly spectacular stretches of road or places of interest and I suppose that so the reason I may go back to using it again selectively but normally I can't be bothered. I guess that's why a dedicated camera is better.
 Dash Cameras - VxFan
Colleague at work has a Mini 0806. From what I've seen of some of the clips he's shown me, the images are very clear. I showed interest as I've been contemplating buying a dash cam for a while now, but don't like the look of some of the cheap larger looking ones.

The Mini 0806 is quite small and discrete, but because of that it's up around the £80 to £100 mark.

I also quite like the idea of a front & rear cam.

Loads on the market though. Decisions, decisions.

Dash Cameras - movilogo
I am interested in one so please continue to suggest products.

I guess these are all powered by cig lighter sockets? So if mounted in front of rear view mirror there would be a cable hanging from top to bottom?

Can these be mounted on the dashboard surface or must be mounted on the windscreen?

Dash Cameras - Zero

>> I guess these are all powered by cig lighter sockets? So if mounted in front
>> of rear view mirror there would be a cable hanging from top to bottom?

Nope, you run the power cable (usually just a usb cable) up inside the A post trim and along the join between screen and headlining.

>> Can these be mounted on the dashboard surface or must be mounted on the windscreen?

They can, but they come with screen suckers and the ideal place is behind the rear view mirror. Beware those that are designed to replace the mirror, they are designed for L/H drive and when fitted to a r/h drive car the lens points the wrong way.

Dash Cameras - bathtub tom
I toyed with the idea of wiring mine direct to the interior light power supply in order to remove the cable to lighter socket. Found the plug drops the voltage to around 5V so I lost interest.
 Dash Cameras - Zero
yer, anything that is equipped by a psychical USB plug is 5V
 Dash Cameras - spamcan61
>> I toyed with the idea of wiring mine direct to the interior light power supply
>> in order to remove the cable to lighter socket. Found the plug drops the voltage
>> to around 5V so I lost interest.
>>

I followed exactly the same train of thought :-) I'm half tempted to make up a little 12-5V regulator and still do it that way, but motivation levels aren't high.
 Dash Cameras - Zero

>> I followed exactly the same train of thought :-) I'm half tempted to make up
>> a little 12-5V regulator and still do it that way, but motivation levels aren't high.

www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Power-Regulator-Voltage-Step/dp/B00E5VGWT8
 Dash Cameras - Bobby
Don't fully understand the workings of it but I know on the Techmoan website he has previously shown how to hardwire directly into the fusebox (I think) and thus negate the need for the aux socket to be used.

Loads of good reviews on dashcams on his youtube page as well
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB79814F24001328

Dash Cameras - VxFan
>> Found the plug drops the voltage to around 5V so I lost interest.

Easily resolved. Just use the right adaptor.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141049368893 (I know someone who has used these with no problems)

Dash Cameras - Old Navy
Nextbase do a hard wiring kit, it is sold by Halfords for about £20. It goes to the fusebox and has a plug to piggyback onto an ignition controlled fuse.

www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-incarcam-hardwire-kit

It should fit any camera with a mini USB socket.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 13:35
 Dash Cameras - spamcan61
Cheers for the links chaps, not worth getting me soldering iron out if I can buy one for 3 quid.
 Dash Cameras - Manatee
I just use an extension accessory socket with 2 or three sockets in. In my car, where the socket it is plugged into is ignition controlled, this is fine. In the Roomster where the accessory socket is permanently live, it means the camera has to be unplugged when parked at home (though it can easily be left on at the supermarket). That's a pain, and repeatedly forgetting has knackered the battery in the dashcam.

When I get around to it I will connect the accessory socket extension to the fuse box using a piggy back fuse, cost a pound or two not £20 like the Halfords one that includes a regulator in the the feed.

That Halfords one BTW is about £8 cheaper on ebay goo.gl/reMXOf
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 14:33
 Dash Cameras - Crankcase
I use this (actually the older one without USB) as it has individual switches. Works just fine

www.maplin.co.uk/p/24v-switched-socket-adapter-3-way-with-usb-n41ng

Dash Cameras - movilogo
I wonder why manufacturers are not offering this as an option in features list.

Many cars include cameras (parking, adaptive cruise control etc.) so all what is needed is a disk to store the images and a way to export them to computer/memory card.
 Dash Cameras - Stuartli
>>Nope, you run the power cable (usually just a usb cable) up inside the A post trim and along the join between screen and headlining. >>

My VW has A pillar airbags - would that mean having to run it along the edge of the pillar instead?
 Dash Cameras - Zero
>> >>Nope, you run the power cable (usually just a usb cable) up inside the A
>> post trim and along the join between screen and headlining. >>
>>
>> My VW has A pillar airbags - would that mean having to run it along
>> the edge of the pillar instead?

There will be a wiring channel up the A post cover, but yes you will have to make sure it is not hampering the airbag deployment.
 Dash Cameras - Old Navy
>> There will be a wiring channel up the A post cover, but yes you will
>> have to make sure it is not hampering the airbag deployment.
>>

The easiest way is to tuck the wire under the rubber door seal.
 Dash Cameras - Stuartli
>>There will be a wiring channel up the A post cover, but yes you will have to make sure it is not hampering the airbag deployment. >>

Many thanks.
 Dash Cameras - Duncan
>> I am interested in one so please continue to suggest products.

Have a look at techmoan:-

www.techmoan.com/

He seems to be independent, but has some good advice.
 Dash Cameras - Badwolf
I think it's a bit of a sweeping generalisation to brand all dashcam users as "insufferable vigilantes". I have a Nextbase camera but would never upload any clips to YouTube or whatever. It's there purely to protect my interests should the worst happen.

Dash Cameras - Bobby
Which Nextbase one do you have? How is it in low light conditions?
 Dash Cameras - smokie
Here's one which is cheap for what you get www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GRYT5QI?tag=hotukdealsev-21 - £59
but it's an Amazon deal and won't last long.

EDIT: Back up to £78 now.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 19:08
 Dash Cameras - Focusless
>> Here's one which is cheap for what you get

Autoexpress Best Buy:
www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/85715/transcend-drivepro-200
 Dash Cameras - Crankcase
With their suction mount and suggested SD card, both of which I'd need, it's £92, which is right at the point for me between "good idea, might save me a fortune if I ever need it" and "£92! Ouch!"

Dash Cameras - Zero
>> With their suction mount and suggested SD card, both of which I'd need, it's £92,
>> which is right at the point for me between "good idea, might save me a
>> fortune if I ever need it" and "£92! Ouch!"

Its a long way into the "ouch" category. You dont need uber super picture quality at 500 yards, what happens at 500 yards is none of your worry, what you need is something that films 10 feet in front of your bonnet, and then all it needs to resolve is the make of the car.
 Dash Cameras - Duncan
G1w(h)(c) comes out well and is cheap enough.

Amazon link:-

tinyurl.com/ofdkf3v
 Dash Cameras - movilogo
I am guessing occasionally dash cam will serve the purpose of travel camcorder as well.

For that reason, good video quality beyond 10 ft from bonnet is vital :-)

Dash Cameras - Manatee
>> I am guessing occasionally dash cam will serve the purpose of travel camcorder as well.
>>
>> For that reason, good video quality beyond 10 ft from bonnet is vital :-)

They tend to be a bit "fisheye".
>They tend to be a bit "fisheye"

That and hardly any battery life. I'd have a basic/cheap dash cam and leave it wired in.
 Dash Cameras - Manatee
Yes, I'd assumed it was staying in the car. One of our mini 0803 batteries has failed altogether (camera still works), and neither lasted more than a few minutes before going flat even when new.
 Dash Cameras - Zero
>> I am guessing occasionally dash cam will serve the purpose of travel camcorder as well.

I can assure you it wont.

Dash Cameras - Bobby
I was happy with my first (and only ) effort
youtu.be/dxWVp9nSTlY

did what I wanted it to do.
 Dash Cameras - Stuartli
>>Which Nextbase one do you have? How is it in low light conditions?>>

Maplins is offering 15 per cent off Nextbase dashcams, but as I don't know prices generally for this brand and Maplins does tend to be more expensive than most anyway, it might not be info of value...:-)
 Dash Cameras - Stuartli
>>He seems to be independent, but has some good advice. >>

I've mentioned him earlier, along with another poster, and have read his reviews for some time now.

Apart from the products, some of the interest is due to the fact that he lives not all that far from me and many of his videos are shot on very familiar roads....:-)
Latest Forum Posts