dont go there - Bellboy
latest figures here
www.driving.org/news/2010/07/22/the-uks-uninsured-driving-hotspots-identified
 dont go there - Armel Coussine
OO-er! 11% in the Smoke...

I reckon I know who they all are too.

:o{
 dont go there - Iffy
...I reckon I know who they all are too...

Lorry drivers, I bet.
 dont go there - Old Navy
Probably the police, they seem to get away with most things.
 dont go there - Harleyman

>> Lorry drivers, I bet.
>>

Given the lack of a "smiley" I can only assume your comment is serious, and that you therefore have evidence to back it up?

FWIW lorry drivers, at least the employed variety as opposed to the self-employed, rely on thier employers to provide insurance for their vehicles, but I think you knew that anyway.
 dont go there - Iffy
...but I think you knew that anyway...

And I think you knew I wasn't being serious.

The comment was relevant to what was going on in the forum when it was made a few days ago, but you had to have been there.

Let's just say it was an attempt at cross-thread humour.

dont go there - Old Navy
>> Let's just say it was an attempt at cross-thread humour.
>>
>>
Rubish, you were trying to wind Pat up.
 dont go there - Mapmaker
And most mass murderers are lorry drivers too. Stands to reason.
 dont go there - Dave_
I was in Bradford BD3 on monday. I used to regularly go to Small Heath, Handsworth and Saltley for work. I reckon I know who they all are too too. Hmmm.
 dont go there - teabelly
Considering the average premium is now an eye watering £1400 a year apparently then I'm not surprised there are so many uninsured cars! Talking to the insurance woman today and premiums have generally gone up 5 to 25%.
 dont go there - Manatee
Precisely the problem - the 'severe' penalties are cheaper than the insurance for those who don't care about being legal.

The other problem is claims - apparently it's fraud especially around personal injury and 'claims management' that's distorting the risk.
 dont go there - RattleandSmoke
I have a mate who lives in M12, he drove with no insurance. The police returned the favour by turning his 106 into a can of coke. He hasn;t had a car since so it worked.
 dont go there - Collos
I explained to my stepson here in Germany that in Bradford 3 there are reputedly 18,000 uninsured cars.You cannot physically drive an unisured car in Germany not without plates on your car and you would get very far and driving with false plates which I have never heard of would bring you five years.
Last edited by: Collos on Thu 22 Jul 10 at 20:39
 dont go there - movilogo
This bit on the link is interesting!

4 per cent of all UK motorists are driving without insurance – this is the highest level of uninsured driving in Western Europe
 dont go there - L'escargot
At the risk of offending someone, it looks as if there might be a link between the percentage of uninsured drivers and the ethnic makeup of the local residents.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 07:19
 dont go there - Notdoctorchris
I agree, snaily.
In keeping with my theory that double yellow lines redefined as "parking for taxis and Asian drivers only".
 dont go there - Old Navy
>> At the risk of offending someone,>>

Why should the truth offend anyone? Too much politically correct crap in this country.
 dont go there - Iffy
...Why should the truth offend anyone? Too much politically correct crap in this country....

Agreed.

..."parking for taxis and Asian drivers only"....

I used to see some interesting parking in Golders Green Road in north west London.

It's a busy shopping street, and there was quite a bit of 'double' parking - a car pulled up alongside one already parked.

But the fear of being double parked became so great, you would see cars 'double' parked beside empty spaces.

An elderly Volvo estate was the usual weapon of choice.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 08:35
 dont go there - -
There are places in the country i have no wish to visit by whatever means, and would not drive my own vehicle under any circumstances.

So long as uninsured drivers stay in their own hell holes i don't see the problem, though hard for normal folk living in the vicinity who probably can't afford to get out.

In a previous job i've delivered truckloads of cars to rental offices in some undesirable wards, several times i've returned to find shrapnel strewn over the road and parts of the truck scratched during the impact, no one ever stopped though.

If they can't see/miss a truck then they are probably uninsurable or have no licence anyway.
 dont go there - BobbyG
Well looking at that UK report, Scotland seems to be doing something right getting its driver's insured ......
 dont go there - madf
The only conclusion I cna make is that neither the insurers or the police are serious about solving the issue.

The insurers clearly are not. They just increase premiums. If they wanted, they could set up a proper claims unit and fund detection properly.

And if 10% of cars in parts of London are uninsured, all the police need to do, is start walking along parker cars with a towtruck behind them.

No-one is SERIOUS about it.

Last edited by: madf on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 09:12
 dont go there - teabelly
It also assumes that those without insurance could get it in the first place! They may be uninsured because they were refused cover or it was completely unaffordable. Most jobs require the use of a car to get there in reasonable time as PT outside London isn't viable for shift work, or any job requiring use of tools or bulky items.

Basic third party cover on fuel would solve all this nonsense at a stroke.

You'd also need a transporter not a tow truck :-)

dont go there - crocks
... or a mobile crusher?
 dont go there - Old Navy
>> ... or a mobile crusher?
>>

Not with he databases in use at the moment ! Computer says "No" mentality is rife.
 dont go there - madf
Mobile toe crushers would work nicely.. After you have lost one toe, you would not want to lose another...
Last edited by: madf on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 16:42
 dont go there - tyro
BobbyG: "Well looking at that UK report, Scotland seems to be doing something right getting its driver's insured ...... "

L'escargot: "At the risk of offending someone, it looks as if there might be a link between the percentage of uninsured drivers and the ethnic makeup of the local residents."

L'escargot - I assume that you are referring to the Sassenachs?

;-)
Last edited by: tyro on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 21:09
 dont go there - Old Navy
>> L'escargot - I assume that you are referring to the Sassenachs?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Oi, I'm insured.
 dont go there - legacylad
On a previous post I was selling a reg plate after future step daughter carelessly drove into back of a car in Bradford. 12 months later the 'claimant' is still arguing the toss about how many passengers were in the car, and who all suffered personal injury. And his car was 'pushed' forward into another car. Amazing how much damage and injury can be caused by a slow speed collision.
I always carry a camera for such incidences.
Being born in Bradford I only ever go back because it has the NMPFT (National Media Centre as they now call it). And only in SWMBO company car.
 dont go there - Tigger
I think it may be easy for someone to get trapped into a cycle without insurance.

If you get caught without insurance, you get points on your licence, which I assume makes the initial insurance even more expensive, so people are tempted to carry on without any.

Given that all insured drivers are paying £30 a year anyway towards the MIB, I do wonder whether its time to have a univeral third party insurance system paid for by a fuel levy.
 don't go there - Old Navy
Works in Australia, Your annual registration fee includes 3rd party insurance. If you want comprehensive cover you buy it as a separate policy. A requirement for buying a car on credit. The registration sticker cannot be removed from the windscreen without destroying it.
 dont go there - DP
The penalty if caught is no deterrent. A fine of a couple of hundred quid is cheaper than a years cover, and crushing a car that can be replaced for a similar amount little more than an inconveniece.
I would like to see a similar penalty formula applied to this offence as used by the software piracy companies which audit company IT systems. Tot up the lost revenue between now and when the offender can last prove they were legal, and slap on a hefty multiplier.
From a purely financial standpoint, it can still pay to drive uninsured, even if you get caught annually. That needs to change.
madf is quite right. No one is serious about the problem of uninsured drivers.
Personally, I know several young drivers who are paying £1500+ pa to insure their cheap vehicles. Future stepdaughter (and Mum) is paying £1600 on a car worth no more than £250 on a good day.
I also know 2 people who do not bother with insurance. Both have had cars taken away and crushed, have lots of points and live in an alternate society to the rest of us, buying cars for £100 with no tax or mot and driving around until caught. At what point they are finally sent to jail I do not know, but they accept being caught by the police as a way of life.
My answer to this is not very pc, but talking to friends i am not alone in my thoughts.
DP, whilst agreeing with your sentiments in principle, these people have no money to pay any fines. How can they when the vast majority live hand to mouth waiting for their weekly/monthly cheque which I send indirectly via the DHSS or whatever it is called...
 dont go there - madf
I have an answer to those living on benefits. It's called : living within the law. Don't do it and society will not support you.

Not very PC: it will come eventually..
 dont go there - Auntie Lockbrakes
FYI car insurance is optional here in NZ. People can legally drive aged 16. There are loads of cheap-ish old-ish Japanese imports available... Not a great cocktail.
 dont go there - J Bonington Jagworth
"car insurance is optional here in NZ"

Interesting! I'm sure that only works because Kiwis are mostly decent citizens, but what happens when someone is injured? IIRC, new vehicles are very expensive there - does that have a bearing?
 dont go there - Auntie Lockbrakes
Personal injury in NZ is covered by a proportionately huge levy which is added to each car's annual registration fee. But if your shiny new motor is clobbered by someone with no insurance and they claim poverty in court, your own insurance policy shells out for the repairs :-(

On the upside, although car prices are higher than in the UK, insurance premiums are a lot lower! 240 quid fully comp for a brand new 2.0 KIA anyone??!
Latest Forum Posts