Motoring Discussion > Brain scan Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 106

Brain scan - Armel Coussine
I had a CAT scan of my head done today in Worthing, a place I detest. I can't remember why it was done, so it was probably because I had complained to the local quack that I had had the odd memory lapse, and the eager young carphound had set the remorseless mechanism in train.

I urged the techies not to fry my brain (the preliminary bumf was far from reassuring about all that). They grinned and said more or less that they might, but it shouldn't matter too much fingers crossed.

They say they will let me know the 'results'. If I remember right this may mean a lot of alarming photos of my brain in various cutaways and ting like that. Has the grey matter shrunk since last time? Probably, but who in their right mind would want to know?

Herself sweetly came along to hold my hand if necessary. I drove as usual and managed to find my way back, more or less.
 Brain scan - R.P.
Hope it all turns out OK Lud...
Thank you Rob. I'm sure it will.

I wasn't fishing for sympathy although it may have looked like that. More a general interest post. Amazing the things they can do with these machines, even in the (cough) provinces.
 Brain scan - sherlock47
>>>I can't remember why it was done<<<
and there is your answer :)

I hope it all works out ok - it is the waiting that is the worst!
 Brain scan - Crankcase
Yes, good luck AC. Given you can't actually remember why you were having it and that you posted this in motoring it wasn't a moment too soon, obviously. :)
 Brain scan - Runfer D'Hills
Take it easy AC. As long as they found a brain in there there's plenty of hope yet ! Best wishes !
>> Given you can't actually remember why you were having it and that you posted this in motoring

I'm sure there was a good reason but, er...
 Brain scan - WillDeBeest
Presumably some motoring was required to get there.
};---)

Positive thoughts from me too, AC. Hope it works out well.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 19:51
>> Given you can't actually remember why you were having it and that you posted this in motoring

I'm sure there was a good reason but, er...

You are all very kind. I'm OK really. Shouldn't have mentioned it.
 Brain scan - R.P.
I never said anything about it being in Motoring you heartless lot ! :-)
 Brain scan - Crankcase
How about the double reply? Or aren't we mentioning that either?

Brain scan - bathtub tom
I had one a couple of years ago. Mentioned to the techie doing it afterwards that I felt a warming to my head. He told me I couldn't have done, but looked worried.

I'm still here!
 Brain scan - Slidingpillar
Armel - there comes a point with scans where you don't want to see them any more. Think I reached that point 15 years ago, my last MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) was in October and the next is in January.

As a rule, the requesting physician gets a summery report and most will copy both you and your GP if they are not the requester.
 Brain scan - rtj70
I had a CAT scan when I had my accident in Italy (near Milan) in 2006. Still have the images too - lots of cross sections of my head. And other X-Rays too.

Back in the UK, talking to the GP (having stitches removed from my head) and he said in the UK, if you had a similar accident they'd not do a routine CAT scan. They'd admit you and wait in case you had a funny turn. You'd wait weeks for a CAT scan normally.

All the best with this AC.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 24 Nov 15 at 21:51
 Brain scan - Lygonos
Just a 'for info' chart of the amount of XRays used in CT/Xray imaging.

www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety-xray#safety-benefits-risks
Yr chart seems reassuring in my case Lygonos.

I'm much affected by people's concern.
 Brain scan - Pat
They are heartless RP, not a scrap of tact and diplomacy among them.

Hope all is well Lud, fingers crossed for you.

Pat
 Brain scan - Dog
This is the God's honest truth Sire ... When I read the fred title I thought straight away it was to do with the brain in a car and, having watched Panorama the other night I ass-umed it woz something do with the defeat device in those carp German 'people's automobiles'.

:}
 Brain scan - R.P.
AC has his own defeat device.
 Brain scan - legacylad
I was indulging this afternoon in ACs defeat device. Friend is off to Spain for three months in a few days time so we had to make sure he left Blighty after several pints of decent beer up t'road in KL.
 Brain scan - henry k
>>I had a CAT scan of my head done today in Worthing, a place I detest.

My last visits to Worthing Hospital to seem MIL "on her way" and and i agree its not a great place.

By coincidence, today I was visiting a private hospital ( not in the London area ) and was surprised to see a brochure with treatment prices.
CT scans cost £516-£933.
Do you think your scan was good value ?
 Brain scan - R.P.
Could be a good name on a craft beer. "AC/Lud's Defeat Device"
My "defeat device" is 1000m in the pool most evenings. No one can phone you, email you, text you or even suggest you put up some new blinds or whatever. Just near silence and the resistance of the water to your not very strenuous but rhythmic and steady front crawl. Thinking time, me time. Saves my sanity sometimes.
 Brain scan - R.P.
Wood walks for us. No signal
Mountain biking for me too. Can't answer the phone all that effectively or read an email when you're rattling down a hillside or through a forest!

:-)
 Brain scan - Rudedog
I've had quite a few CT's and MRI's and nothing real prepares you for the heart-thumping banging that the MRI machine makes, it goes right through you.

Did you have to have dye injected? now that's a very weird sensation!

Brain scan - Ted

Good luck old timer. As long as they find something other than mush in there you'll be ok. It's being so cheerful keeps me 'appy !

Like Humph, swimming for me 3 mornings a week. Not in his class, 21 lengths 3 times a week. Always do an odd number. Like to dive in at the deep end but I can't get out there...the ' ladder ' hurts me feet ! Freebie for us wrinklys.
 Brain scan - Old Navy
>> Did you have to have dye injected? now that's a very weird sensation!
>>

That stuff makes me throw up without fail.
 Brain scan - smokie
I once had my knackers scanned. They blew up the negatives, if I had a pair like that I'd need to wheel them round in front of me on a shopping trolley. They did give me a normal photo size shot of one, which when I was Chairman of Round Table I framed and made into a trophy called the Chairman's Ball and which was awarded at each meeting to the most worthless contribution to each meeting, with the proviso that it had to stand on their mantelpiece for the whole fortnight till the next meeting!!

The scan was, thankfully, all clear. I hope yours is too.
 Brain scan - Lygonos
>> if I had a pair like that I'd need to wheel them round in front of me on a shopping trolley

Elephantiasis?

img.xooimage.com/files110/6/3/f/1507415059-48f644b.jpg

(sort of safe for work only 'cos it's medical....)
>> Elephantiasis?

Oh dear oh dear... must be permanently painful. Wouldn't be too easy to run after or away from some animal either...

Somewhere in the East Indies or Philippines I suppose.
 Brain scan - tyrednemotional
>> >> Elephantiasis?
>>
>> Oh dear oh dear... must be permanently painful. Wouldn't be too easy to run after
>> or away from some animal either...
>>
>> Somewhere in the East Indies or Philippines I suppose.
>>

I thought it was the Balearics or the Balkans.

;-)
 Brain scan - Lygonos

>>Wouldn't be too easy to run after or away from some animal either

Actually you'd be surprised....

www.misterbounce.co.uk/uploads/1/2/7/6/12763718/______5426566_orig.jpg
It's actually unnecessary to be able to outrun any wild animal which decides to lunch on you.

You only have to be certain that you can outrun at least one other human in your immediate vicinity.
 Brain scan - WillDeBeest
I once had my knackers scanned. They blew up

Careful! There are enough people here who are suspicious of doctors as it is.
};---)
 Brain scan - MD
>> I've had quite a few CT's and MRI's and nothing real prepares you for the
>> heart-thumping banging that the MRI machine makes, it goes right through you.

I'm with you re: the banging. Most disconcerting.

All the best Ludders...
 Brain scan - stan10
The traditional "stiff upper lip" and "british sense of humour" hide many things,

I wish you well AC and sincerely hope all turns out ok.

From my first line above -
Perhaps it should be your round next !

and ... "I drove as usual and managed to find my way back, more or less. "

So where are you now - exactly !! :-))
While awaiting my CT scan results - I don't anticipate anything too doom-laden - allow me to say again how touching it is to be sent all these good wishes. What a nice kind place this site is.
 Brain scan - Clk Sec
You strike me as being a tough old boot. All the very best to you, AC.
 Brain scan - Dog
>>What a nice kind place this site is<<

Have you been on the Absinthe again Sire?

:}
>> been on the Absinthe again?

Absinthe is a pretty colour but gives me a headache. Vodka is less toxic and more dependable.
 Brain scan - Clk Sec
>> Vodka is less toxic and more dependable.
>>

I agree. On occasions when I'm involved in a marathon session (usually weddings, christenings, etc) I'll usually stick with vodka, after just a couple of pints of decent ale. I seem to be able to drink quite a lot of it, and still feel quite chirpy the next day.
 Brain scan - Cliff Pope
My best wishes.
You are braver than me. I was supposed to have an MRI scan a year ago, but ran out of the hospital in blind panic before I even got through the lab door. I get nightmares of being trapped in tunnels, and wake in terror.
 Brain scan - WillDeBeest
It's fine. There's even something pleasantly hypnotic about the rhythmic banging. I went to sleep in my last one - although that may have been something to do with the Ken Bruce show on the headphones they put on me.
Popmaster is quite good.
 Brain scan - No FM2R
>>after just a couple of pints of decent ale

Oh I wish. What with that and Al's kebabs.

I think its about time I upped stakes again. I think it'll wait until the UK Spring though.
 Brain scan - Alanovich
>> >> I think its about time I upped stakes again.

I always thought it was 'upped sticks', but your version makes much more sense. I shall use it from now on.

All the best to AC by the way, me ole (well, 68) Mum's been through a few of those scanners since having a minor stoke a while back, not much fun. Keep on taking the medicine (vodka).
 Brain scan - No FM2R
>>I always thought it was 'upped sticks',

You've put a doubt in my mind now...

Still, I've always said stakes, so I guess I'll stay with it.
My wife and I argue about whether someone is 'in bad books' or 'in the bad books' .

I favour the latter, whereas she is adamant that the former is correct. However, she is from Cheshire.
 Brain scan - Crankcase
Bizarre. Never heard of "stakes". Definitely sticks. And books requires a person. "He's in Bill's bad books".
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 26 Nov 15 at 09:53
He could be in the bad books with Bill though.
Oh and it's definitely 'sticks'.

I'm not all that keen on Bill by the way. Grumpy sort of guy.
 Brain scan - Clk Sec
>> Oh and it's definitely 'sticks'.

...and it's most definitely 'In bad books'.

The OP will confirm in due course.
Your real name Bill by any chance?

;-)
 Brain scan - Clk Sec
>> Your real name Bill by any chance?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

I prefer to be known as William, if you don't mind.

Actually, can't tell a lie - I'm neither.
 Brain scan - CGNorwich
>> Bizarre. Never heard of "stakes". Definitely sticks. And books requires a person. "He's in Bill's
>> bad books".

Not really. "Pull ups stakes" is the American equivalent of our "Up sticks".
 Brain scan - Crankcase
Oh, Americans, they'll say any old thing.
 Brain scan - WillDeBeest
You can't pull up those stakes - they need them to hold down the fort.
Bill would object. I just know he would.
Right then...

Fred is in the bad books at work due to poor timekeeping. He would have been especially in Bill's bad books if he was still there, he couldn't bear lateness you know, but as Bill is now retired, Fred is just more generally in the bad books.

See?

;-)
 Brain scan - Crankcase
Not questioning at all that's how you use your books, Runfer, just that I've never heard it that way before. Perhaps it's a Scottish versus Faffy Southern Popinjay thing.

Brain scan - Manatee
And Yorkshire where you can also be generally and unattributably in the bad books.
Would it not then, strictly speaking be 'in't bad books' ?

;-)
Another one my wife is linguistically irritated by is my occasional use of 'outwith' which I gather is more commonly used north of the border. It being the opposite to within.

As in 'That task is quite frankly outwith my normal remit darling.'
 Brain scan - Manatee
>> Another one my wife is linguistically irritated by is my occasional use of 'outwith' which
>> I gather is more commonly used north of the border. It being the opposite to
>> within.
>>
>> As in 'That task is quite frankly outwith my normal remit darling.'

Yes I am picked up on that too, but I think I got it from working for a Scottish company - I occasionally did things that were "outwith" my authority apparently. I've noticed my daughter, who is married to a Scot, using it recently too. A useful word that merits wider use.
 Brain scan - Crankcase
Been known to use "not in my bailiwick" from time to time as appropriate, but nobody else I know does. No idea where that comes from.
 Brain scan - sooty123
>> Been known to use "not in my bailiwick" from time to time as appropriate, but
>> nobody else I know does. No idea where that comes from.
>>

What does it mean?
 Brain scan - Crankcase

>> What does it mean?
>>

It means "not something I understand, or have any power to help you with. Mate."
 Brain scan - sooty123
Right, first time I've ever heard that phrase.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailiwick

There you go...
 Brain scan - Crankcase
>> en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailiwick
>>
>> There you go...
>>

Thank you. I shall ponder that tonight as I contemplate my demesne.
 Brain scan - sooty123
Cheers I'd heard of the word but not the phrase. I think if i used it I'd have to spend half an hour explaining it!
I use bailiwick.
I've always understood 'bailiwick' to mean 'area of responsibility or authority'.
 Brain scan - Manatee
I think it must derive from 'bailie', a sort of sheriff or magistrate. Another Scottish thing I believe.
 Brain scan - neiltoo
Jersey and Guernsey are bailiwicks.
I've got a Guernsey jersey somewhere.
 Brain scan - neiltoo
You're talking Bailiwicks now.

8o)
I have a black belt in it.

;-)
Other useful Scots words -

Manky - dirty, disgusting
Mockit - see above but with additional implication of long term neglect.
Clarty- see above but with the additional implication of grease.
Stoorie - dusty
Ming'n - smelly
Shottie - look out!
Black afronted - embarrassed
Raj - an angry man
Square go - fisticuffs

Brain scan - sooty123
>> Other useful Scots words -
>>
>> Manky - dirty, disgusting

i don't think that's scottish, I've heard that all over the place.
Oh ok fair enough, only going by what my wife picks me up on. But she is from Cheshire you see. They're different here.

;-)

She uses 'mardi' to describe someone who complains, moans, whinges or generally lacks moral fibre etc. I'd never heard of that before coming to live here.
 Brain scan - sooty123
> She uses 'mardi' to describe someone who complains, moans, whinges or generally lacks moral fibre
>> etc. I'd never heard of that before coming to live here.
>>

Another one fairly common, used all over. Though it must be an english word i think?
 Brain scan - Alanovich
>> > She uses 'mardi' to describe someone who complains, moans, whinges or generally lacks moral
>> fibre
>> >> etc. I'd never heard of that before coming to live here.
>> >>
>>
>> Another one fairly common, used all over. Though it must be an english word i
>> think?
>>

Northern only. Never heard it until I moved from Berkshire to Nottingham. Never hear it down south to this day, unless uttered by a migrant from Northernlandshire. Southerners who have never lived in the North question it when heard.
 Brain scan - sooty123

>> Northern only. Never heard it until I moved from Berkshire to Nottingham. Never hear it
>> down south to this day, unless uttered by a migrant from Northernlandshire. Southerners who have
>> never lived in the North question it when heard.
>>

When i said all over, i obviously meant only the bits that matter.

;-)
I don't think it was you Humph, but someone who used to post on the HJ website, and perhaps this one too, had the handle 'Glaikit Wee Scunner'.

Sounds quite Scottish to me, but what do I know?
Wasn't me, but I know exactly what it means.

A person who is glaikit is a bit dim, gullible, low intellect.

A scunner is a person or something you would take exception to. As in I took a scunner to him once I got to know about his private life. Or as in I enjoyed restoring that car for a couple of winters but I didn't finish it because I took a scunner to it.
 Brain scan - Crankcase
I'm pinching at least two of Humph's words. Good stuff.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 26 Nov 15 at 13:50
Go on yersel son. - 'you are most welcome'

;-)
Another thing I can't get used to is being greeted by being asked if I'm 'alright'. It always makes wonder if I look ill.

;-)
Or, further to the above, I'm also momentarily thrown if I ask someone if they would like a cup of tea or whatever when they reply "No, you're alright"

Erm, yeah, I'm fine but did you want tea?

;-)
 Brain scan - Crankcase
>> Or, further to the above, I'm also momentarily thrown if I ask someone if they
>> would like a cup of tea or whatever when they reply "No, you're alright"

"Alright" of course is a nasty little guttersnipe of a concatenation. "All right" feels much nicer to me for some reason.

I'm also intrigued by that apparently Northern inversion of "borrow" and "lend", as in "can I have a lend of your bike", which I don't think folk down here say.

You can have an entire conversation here using almost exclusively the word alright.

Ey up, alright?
I'm alright, you alright?
I'm alright thanks, your wife alright?
She's alright thanks
Kids alright?
They're alright, yours alright?
They're alright.
Alright then, best be off, nice to see you, glad you're alright.
Alright...

;-)
 Brain scan - sooty123
> I'm also intrigued by that apparently Northern inversion of "borrow" and "lend", as in "can
>> I have a lend of your bike", which I don't think folk down here say.
>>

Before you can borrow someone needs to lend, so it would be 'give us a lend'.
 Brain scan - madf
>> Other useful Scots words -
>>
>
Loon - boy
Quine - girl
Chiel - country boy
Dubs - mud
Ken - know
Fit like chiel?
Ach, chust chavin awa ken.
Fit like yersel?
No bad ken, but ahm needing new sheen.
Auld yins hurtin?
Aye, too wee.
That nae use
Ah ken.

Sna the morn's morn
Aye?
Better wi bits then
Bits are awfy dear
Ah ken but ye'd be better wi bits than sheen in the sna.
Aye mebbe.
Sheen are better fir winchin though
You're too young fir winchin !
Aye mebbe !
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 26 Nov 15 at 15:18
 Brain scan - commerdriver
>> Sheen are better fir winchin though
>> You're too young fir winchin !
>> Aye mebbe !
>>
One slight change for the participants here
with all due respect
penultimate line should be
"Yer too auld fir winchin"

Maybe some folks here could benefit from going to youtube & typing Parliamo Glasgow to get the real McCoy
Whae's too auld? Um umnie !
 Brain scan - Slidingpillar
Absinthe is a pretty colour but gives me a headache.

Absinthe makes you cut your ears off, ask Vincent van Gogh...
 Brain scan - Clk Sec
It also makes the heart grow fonder.
That so reminds of a joke I can't possibly tell here. Dave would have a dicky fit I fear. Anyway, it involves Suzukis, Hondas and abscesses.
 Brain scan - Zero
>> That so reminds of a joke I can't possibly tell here. Dave would have a
>> dicky fit I fear. Anyway, it involves Suzukis, Hondas and abscesses.

bloke goes to see his doctor and says, "every time I fart, it sounds like a Honda motorbike."

So the doc asks the chap to pull his pants down and bend over. Sure enough, the man farts loudly and its sounds like a Honda motorbike.

The doc says, "you've got an abscess up your ass."

The bloke says, "surely it can't make my ass make noises like that."

The old doctor says, with a cheeky smile, "abscess makes the fart go Honda!"

this one?
Similar, but not quite...
 Brain scan - Dog
>> Absinthe is a pretty colour but gives me a headache

Ah, you've tried it then! .. I had some Danziger Goldwasser once upon a time, long, long ago, north of Gdansk, place called Sopot up on the Baltic. Nice place actually.
 Brain scan - MD
And vot vere you doing zere Comrade?
 Brain scan - Dog
In ze casino with my German gf - I won one million :)

Zlotys :(
 Brain scan - legacylad
AC, sincere best wishes. I hope you get a favourable result, and in anticipation of that shall raise a large Margerita tomorrow in your general direction....well it is Thanksgiving, and a few friends are calling round for taco Thursday chez LL.
My CA based friends are skiing at Northstar, then tucking into their turkey at Bar of America in an honest working town called Truckee. Been there, got the hangover!
Latest Forum Posts