Motoring Discussion > ANPR Backlash? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 12

ANPR Backlash? - Bromptonaut
My newspaper of choice recently carried a report concerning views expressed by the government's CCTV commissioner about the country's network of numberplate cameras and the way in which they are used.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/26/warning-of-outcry-over-car-numberplate-camera-network

In brief he's concerned about the lack of openness over the extent of the network and the potentially unlawful way in which they may be being used. He was speaking to Ploce and Crime Commissioners and expanding on his recently published annual report:

www.gov.uk/government/news/surveillance-camera-commissioner-releases-second-annual-report

Not clear myself where the backlash might come from as the public seem (wrongly in my view) to think that if it's not affecting them directly they've nothing to worry about. It's almost ten years since the Information Commissioner warned of us sleepwalking into a surveillance society and the only change has been more cameras.

Any of us got experience of being stopped/questioned as result of ANPR surveillance?

Hoping I don't find out today. Changed over the insurance from the Berli to Roomster but I requested and LV= assure me I've got 24hrs overlap. While the Roomster is on MIB the Berli now shows not insured. Have a note of time I rang LV this morning and of the employee I spoke to.
 ANPR Backlash? - Pezzer
LV emailed me my new documents when I swapped over my cars on Saturday. Accessible on my smartphone/tablet !
 ANPR Backlash? - sherlock47
Surely what you should really be worried about is not the chance of a pull, seize and destroy - or a minor penalty and fine, but the the ( smaller?) chance of being involved in a major life changing accident, with the insurers denying all liability. Wiping out all your assets at a stroke.

I wonder what the number of seizes/day are, vs number of serious accidents.

Does the law still require physical posession/existence of a cert of Insurance? no in the post or telephone confirmation excuses etc.

I always get an email copy sent by the broker before use on expiry day.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 09:27
 ANPR Backlash? - CGNorwich
but the the ( smaller?) chance of being involved in a major life changing accident, with the insurers denying all liability. Wiping out all your assets at a stroke.

Do you mean the third party is uninsured?

In which case the claim will be met but the Motor Insurers Bureau who would then have recovery rights against the third party.

The validity or otherwise of your own insurances is not affected by absence of the certificate. That is purely evidence of insurance for the police. As long as you have confirmation of cover by the Insurer you are Insured.
 ANPR Backlash? - sherlock47
>>Do you mean the third party is uninsured?<<
NO, meaning YOU are unisured!

Where is your cover if they deny the overlap, and there is no physical evidence of your understanding of the conversation? They have ceased cover on start of new vehicle. by your own admission, MIB shows no cover.

OK a reputable insurer may accept, but against a claim for £M?

- NFM2R should give the definitive answer, I was just asking the questions :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 09:55
 ANPR Backlash? - CGNorwich
Ah I see what you are saying. I normally conduct business one line so there would always be a record of what has been agreed and what vehicle is covered.
 ANPR Backlash? - Zero

>> Hoping I don't find out today. Changed over the insurance from the Berli to Roomster
>> but I requested and LV= assure me I've got 24hrs overlap. While the Roomster is
>> on MIB the Berli now shows not insured. Have a note of time I rang
>> LV this morning and of the employee I spoke to.

The MIB is notoriously slow to update its database.
 ANPR Backlash? - WillDeBeest
If you have your request and LV's confirmation in writing then that should be all the evidence you need that you've acted in good faith. Should the worst come to the worst, I'd expect the Insurance Ombudsman to take the same view.
 ANPR Backlash? - jc2
Any change I have made to my insurance has always shown up on MIB database in less than 24 hours-perhaps the slowness in in your insurance company.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 Dec 15 at 10:25
 ANPR Backlash? - Old Navy
Computer says pay up, aye right!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3333393/Father-charged-3-700-six-hours-parking-central-London.html
 ANPR Backlash? - Ted

Two or three years ago my Vitara disappeared from the on-line database in mid term. I check all the vehicles regularly but that doesn't give a clue as to when it dropped off.

I rand the insurer straight away and he didn't know why it was off. Said they'd put it back but it could take a few days.

It was late in the week so I took the car off the road and used the other one. I wasn't worried about the database but I was about having the car impounded by the police with all the hassle that causes. Who pays the impound/recovery fees in a case like that ?
 ANPR Backlash? - Bromptonaut
>> The MIB is notoriously slow to update its database.

In this case, since the Roomie shows as insured and the Berlingo as not I'm assuming the change has gone through.
 ANPR Backlash? - Falkirk Bairn
Son had quandary last week - transferred his Reg no from old car to new new car on Wednesday.
That went OK. On Thursday he needed to drive car (now on 04 Reg) to WBAC but his Ins Cert said his old reg!

Rang insurer - drive on old plates & put new reg in rear window & dashboard - the Lexus was covered by his insurer. Got home and then transferred insurance on to new car which he picked up on Friday.

Best deal was straight purchase from garage and sell privately (or WBAC) - he saved £486 this way and avoided the selling privately hassle & other insurance issues over "test drive insurance" - privately he might have got more but equally more hassle.

04 Lexus - Immaculate car, 2 owners my son had owned it for all the time apart from first 6 months - only issues were hard on tyres & a water pump (Common Toyota issue)
Latest Forum Posts