Motoring Discussion > Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 13

Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Stuu
We have had our first warranty claim on the Sirion and combined it with the first brake pad change ( 23000 miles for an auto - is that typical? ).

The service was exceptional as ever. Free courtesy car as always. Booked it with two days notice.
We had a pair of anti-roll bars replaced on the front under warranty due to an irritating rattle at the front - apparently its common on the Sirion which the mechanic puts down to the very short length of them, rattles being something he said you find with most cars with very short anti-roll bars ( my old Daewoo Nubira was the same so I recognise the logic ). No quibble over warranty claim.

The brake pads were £78+ vat and half an hours labour ( £30+ vat ) for fitting.

The best bit was that the dealer decided, off their own back, to replace the discs at the same time and the first we knew about it was when we collected the car. Apparently there was some rust on them and they felt that was justified to replace them under warranty - is that normal? I thought discs were a consumable? Its not like the car has done no miles. Bonus nonetheless.

Very pleased with the service though, they make the case for family run, countryside dealers.

Nice to see the Sirion made it into 3rd in that survey too :-)
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - RattleandSmoke
Discs are a consumable but if they were rusting apart from lack of use it could suggest a manufacturing defect which is probably why they replaced them under warranty.

Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Old Navy
If the dealer changed the discs under warranty why did they charge you labour for the pads, they had to be removed anyway to change the discs ?

A decent dealer would have done the pads under warranty as well, "wear caused by defective discs". 23,000 miles is not good for pads unless you are a banzai braker.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 24 Jul 10 at 13:55
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Bellboy
a decent dealer would have valeted it
given you a free balloon
come round and hoovered your living room carpet
and fed the dog
ooops was it a dream
oooooh yes

friend of mine bought an £11,000 turd second hand 7 weeks ago,it had to go back this week for a camshaft senser and they refused to cover it and told him he only had a 4 week warranty with the car
i told him to ring trading standards
trading standards confirmed it wouldnt be covered under saga and a months warranty was sufficient on a 3 year plus car

guess how long my warranties are from now on
i kid you not

well done the datsy garage by the way for doing the discs pads and small rubbers for £126.90 all in as they make a little profit but the customer is over the moon and will obviously recommend them to all and sundry
a win win situation
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Old Navy
So the typical rip off dealer gets paid by the manufacturer for the warranty work and the punter for the same work.

Trust a horse trader, sorry car dealer, no chance.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 24 Jul 10 at 14:21
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Bellboy
correct never trust a car dealer
they are like bailiffs
we want it all

and more

luvly
Im not really worried about paying for the labour as we knew the pads were due at 18k service but we hung on until the brakes started to feel 'off'.
I guess you could argue they could have paid the labour, but then they didnt have to tell us the discs needed changing either and we would have been none the wiser to it. Visually when I looked at the pads, I couldnt see anything a miss with the discs. Im looking at it as free parts fitted as Im not convinced there was anything wrong with the discs ( a dubious warranty claim I expect ).

Anyone know the sort of difference between a manual and and an auto on expected pad wear? My wife drives mainly in town now which I expect makes soem difference.

Ive never had to change any on manual cars ive owned long term, but I have no idea really how my OH drives when Im not in the car!
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - bathtub tom
I suppose it would depend a lot on how it's driven. You youngsters are taught 'gas to go, brakes to slow'. Us old-uns tend to use the gearbox more because that's the way we were taught. An auto would give less engine braking than an old-un driving a manual gearbox and result in the brakes being used more.
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Bagpuss
My BMW 530d automatic has 60,000 hard driven kilometres on the clock (~38,000 miles) and shows no signs of needing new brake pads. Sounds like someone is being really hard on the brakes.
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Londoner
Similarly, my 320d Automatic has done 65,000 miles, and the dealer says that the pads will "only" last another 10,000 miles.

I am gentle on the brakes, but I think that this is about reasonable for an Auto. My previous Nissan automatic needed new pads at around the 60,000 mile mark.

Either the pads on the Sirion are wearing VERY quickly, or something strange is going on.
Thanks for the feedback, ill keep an eye on it. Be interesting if this set last longer.
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - Marc
The front discs and pads were changed on our 05 Galaxy 2.3 auto at 4 years/28k last spring.

I got the rear discs and pads changed this spring at 35k - my local indie who did the work reckoned I could have got more miles out of the discs as they weren't too badly worn/lipped.

Fitted EBC replacements both times.
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - mikeyb
Changed the front pads on our Sharan at 40 odd K. Not an Auto, but a pretty heavy car plus the Mrs tends to be fairly heavy of brakes.
 Daihatsu Sirion II - A nod to our Daihatsu dealer - -
Not doubting the excellent service from the dealer Stu, the price of front pads for such a small car though is scandalous, have you asked CAS Kett for a quote for a set of Lockheed Delphi out of interest for comparison.

Not knowing the Sirion or much else modern well i assume the pads are quite small, the relatively low mileage doesn't surprise me.
Daughters 106 knocks front pads out in similar mileage but she drives like the devil himself, though she got 40+K from tyres replaced today incidentally.
Latest Forum Posts