Motoring Discussion > Modernised 'classics' Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 27

Modernised 'classics' - TheManWithNoName
Having watched Fifth Gear (new series), apart from the fact I'm finding it really boring, one article about modernised classics was interesting.
They featured a Morris Minor Traveller with a 2.0 Ford lump and disc brakes, an Alfa Spider with a V6, very tasty, and best of all a Jensen Interceptor with a GM V8.
There seems to be a growing industry of turning old bangers into driveable everyday vehicles. The Eagle E-Types also spring to mind.

What classic would you want modernised for everyday use?
I'd wuite like a Mk2 Cortina 1600E with discs all round and Fords 1.0 ecoboost engine for useability and economy.
 Modernised 'classics' - Dog
I've worked on a lorra con-versions + many kit cars with various injuns fitted. I well recall tuning a phew sit-up-and-beg Fjords with Rover V8 lumps shoehorned in.

I'd quite like to see a Fiat 500 [c1970] fitted with a 2.5 ltr turbo-charged Scoob Boxer engine :)
 Modernised 'classics' - No FM2R
I can just see you in this Doug...

www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/video-lambo-engine-fiat-500
That looks like the vehicular equivalent of someone who has farted whilst wearing bicycle clips on their leather trousers.
 Modernised 'classics' - Harleyman
>> That looks like the vehicular equivalent of someone who has farted whilst wearing bicycle clips
>> on their leather trousers.
>>

Oh I dunno. I've seen a helluva lot worse at custom shows masquerading as a car.
Jaysus H Christ - that's un-be-live-able!! .. it's even got 'king after burners :)
I think I'd like my classic to at least resemble the original. Wonder how driveable it actually is?
Which reminds me, this weeks Fifth Gear featured a Jag Mk2 which had been fettled and owned by Ian Callum. I didnt actually like it - prefered the original they featured.
 Modernised 'classics' - Westpig
>> I'd quite like to see a Fiat 500 [c1970] fitted with a 2.5 ltr turbo-charged
>> Scoob Boxer engine :)
>>

My temp neighbour when I first moved down to Devon had put that engine into a Skoda Estelle.

The Skoda looked fairly standard from the outside, bet it surprised a few people away from the lights though... and it sounded the dog's danglies.
>>My temp neighbour when I first moved down to Devon had put that engine into a Skoda Estelle.

Best not to tell Armel, he still holds a candle for the old Czech hand warmer.

:o)
 Modernised 'classics' - Alanovich
Wouldn't want any classic car for every day use. Zero crash protection, modern running gear or not.

I'd like a classic for occasional fun use and tinkering, but then I'd want it in its original mechanical state.
 Modernised 'classics' - WillDeBeest
I might like to put a fuel-injected turbo petrol engine, crumple zones, side impact protection, a full set of seat belts and a usable four-seat interior in...

...a Saab 900.

So I'm with Vić, I suppose.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 4 Dec 15 at 14:21
Indeed. You need a SAAB 9-5 Aero.

I can't think of any car I'd want more at the moment to be frank. Wish they were a bit easier on the juice is all, so I'm sticking with the 9-5 diesel at the moment.
Where are you with the company car, Al?
In the SAAB.

Request denied. Insufficient business mileage, apparently. Dangled in front of eyes by one boss, removed by another once I agreed to take a new role in an other town.

Hey ho. Claiming mileage payments instead, so could be worse.

The gearbox only really plays up properly (bang, lurch, warning light) on St Peter's Hill, and after a post on here by WDB about using auto gearboxes properly (for which thanks to him BTW) I realised I was not using the gearbox fully and have started to stick it in '3' on that hill until I'm at the top. I can feel a wee slip in and out of third on the flat about 20% of the time, so I reckon it might last a bit longer yet.
>Dangled in front of eyes by one boss, removed by another once I agreed to take a new role in an other town.

I do dislike incompetent bosses who fail to understand that they are p***ing around with people's lives.
Oh well, I've had worse.
 Modernised 'classics' - Slidingpillar
Always tempted to put a Rover 3.5* into a Volvo Amazon along with several other upgrades but keep the tyres looking normal unlike the present day trend for rubber bands on cotton reels.

Paint it a slightly off gloss black or red and delight in showing up folk who thing they have the means to blow it into the weeds but find themselves being outclassed.

* The Rover engine can be extended to 5.4 litres and 400 bhp - should be enough, the Volvo is not a heavy car either.
 Modernised 'classics' - Zero
A Reliant Scimitar GTE SE6 with a steel body (looks wise completely unchanged) and a BMW S65 engine up front.
 Modernised 'classics' - nice but dim
The M Coupe was a Scimitar wannabe.
>> Always tempted to put a Rover 3.5* into a Volvo Amazon

Hmm. Amazon with modernish Volvo T5 engine out of an 850 T5. Hmm. *strokes beard*

Sounds nice, actually. Brakes to match, of course.
 Modernised 'classics' - Alastairw
Its been done. Guy Martin has an Amazon, which is outwardly unmodified, but has, istr, the straight 6 out of a 960 up front. Turbocharged too. Goes quite well. This might be it:
youtu.be/qRoODLZ2WQY
 Modernised 'classics' - Slidingpillar
Hmm. Amazon with modernish Volvo T5 engine out of an 850 T5. Hmm. *strokes beard*

Would be a huge job as you'd be turning a rear wheel drive car into a front wheel drive, or turning the engine through 90 degrees and a lot more besides. If you keep the same basic layout, matters are less complicated.
 Modernised 'classics' - Tigger
>> Indeed. You need a SAAB 9-5 Aero.

I wanted one for years. Then managed to get one as a company car back in 2000. Worst mistake I ever made. I found it terribly uncomfortable. Fortunately I was changing jobs (indeed I held of resigning until the Saab arrived, as I had a long holiday booked). The replacement BMW 330d was everything the saab wasn't (for me at least).
Comfiest car I've ever had. I must be swede shaped.
 Modernised 'classics' - Avant
"I must be swede shaped."

You're more upmarket than me, clearly. I can't get comfortable in a 3-series (too near the steering wheel if I'm the right distance from the pedals) but I'm supremely comfortable in a Skoda.
 Modernised 'classics' - Falkirk Bairn
>>must be swede shape

Turnip shaped? Strange
>>The replacement BMW 330d was everything the saab wasn't

That's precisely what I found when I swopped my 900 for a 320i back in noughties.
 Modernised 'classics' - Runfer D'Hills
Glad it's not just me, seems I'm one of the few who can't really get comfortable in a Volvo!
Latest Forum Posts