Motoring Discussion > Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 6

Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. - henry k
Hounslow council in their wisdom decided that cyclists needed more protection
The decided to install a short protective kerb about a foot into the road for a short distance at a mini roundabout on the A315 Staines Road, a main road / bus route.
No warning signs , no illumination, no bollards nowt!
On approach to this " improvement " the reason for the mini roundabout is for access from the right so there is a normal reaction to be watching the right when BANG!.
A friend of mine hit the new kerb and joined another 11 or so cars waiting with busted tyres.
The council have now placed a temporary candle on the kerb!

www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.463264,-0.3869813,3a,75y,59.39h,92.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szaWFqAc7bsw0nQ-UwdFnQw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Ignore all the barriers on this old image
 Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. - PhilW
"11 or so cars waiting with busted tyres."
And a few alloys not looking so good either I presume??
 Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. - WillDeBeest
I'm sure there's a standards document somewhere that explains it all (Bromp is the go-to man here) but how hard would it be to put some white reflective paint on raised obstacles in the roadway, like islands and this kerb?

I can think of several on my drive past Heathrow; one in particular that now has a lit bollard on it - but the bollard is only sometimes lit and frequently damaged, which suggests that drivers still aren't seeing it.
 Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. - jc2
Suppose it was a child,not a bollard-people MUST look!
 Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. - henry k
>>I'm sure there's a standards document somewhere that explains it all.

There are enough ancient temporary signs around warning of changes to road layouts.
A sign is the minimum requirement.

All very well having standards but someone has to ensure they are met.
A few years ago at two locations within a mile of my home changes were made to road priorities. Both were good ideas. The problem was the signs were wrong on one road which with a give way road marking and the sign on the opposite approach road so both give way ?
The other change in priority with an unannounced introduction of a mini roundabout and no signs fortunately did not cause any serious accidents.
 Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. - Mr. Ecs
Know that well Henry. I didn't see the need for it either. Managed to avoid so far. A coat of white paint on it might help. There was plenty of room for cyclists before.
Just needed a bit of path cut away to make it even wider. If you want to complain, if you haven't already, try traffic@hounslow.co.uk
 Punctures x 12 due to Road improvements. - Fursty Ferret
I suspect that people were looking to the right and ploughing through cyclists, hence the kerb.

Might be worth getting a roll of reflective tape and sticking it on in the meantime. Or not, if you're enjoying the chaos.
Latest Forum Posts