Motoring Discussion > KIA Cee'd II - Why ?
Thread Author: .... Replies: 28

KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - ....
I picked up a Cee'd 2 1.6 diesel on Friday for two days (hire car). If it had been a test drive I would have binned it after 200 metres.
Outside noise is unbelievable, I pulled out of the airport car park behind a car transporter, I could hear every movement on the back of the transporter where normally I can hear only the truck moving over road joints, it was like the glass had been shaved down to the absolute bare minimum.
The aircon is manual, set and then spend the rest of the journey fine tuning. I'm used to Volvo's set and forget climate control.
The 1.6 diesel has around 130PS and 260Nm which all felt a bit well, yes it'll do but you won't trouble any rice puddings.
The radio, best left off. It was rubbish.
All in all, not worth the £18,500 list price, I'd rather buy a two or three year old Mercedes or Volvo.
Who buys these and thinks they are good cars ? Maybe I had a Friday afternoon car but I can say I would have suggested one to my wife to try as a second car but having lived with one for two days that and Hyundai's equivalent is not on the list. I cannot imagine why anyone would consider one.
Yes, the warranty might be seven years but what price do you put on your hearing ?
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 18:13
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - DP
My sister-in-law had the previous gen model, also a 1.6 diesel. It was functional and reliable transport, nothing more or less. Not a single ounce of joy or fun to be found anywhere though. I don't think I could bring myself to hand over what is still a considerable amount of money for something so appliance-like.

In fairness to KIA, they aren't alone here, but at least with the likes of the Focus, it's got a bit of sparkle to the drive, like someone who actually enjoys cars had a hand in it, even the bum basic models. Or if you're happy to go lightly used, you can buy something really nice for the money.

7 yr warranty on its own wouldn't swing it for me I'm afraid, but I guess it depends what you want from a car. New, decently screwed together and zero risk, I guess.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - legacylad
I once had a Kia Picanto as a hire car on a small island. It didn't break down. But spend my own money on one. Never. Give me an older Fiesta any day in preference to a new Kia.
I had a Focus a couple of years ago and remember it as a functional mode of transport. The KIA just didn't push any buttons for me at all, I really could not see what there was to recommend. P I 5 H I think is the Scottish word.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 19:21
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Armel Coussine
The Kia Cee'd is capacious and durable. Mpg figures aren't given in the clip but I imagine they are very good with sympathetic driving. Of course an impatient heavy foot would waste a lot of fuel to little avail.Softly softly is the watchword with a small diesel and a big car.

Not a lovely motor at all but a good practical holdall, cheap to run.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 19:53
Cruise control was the heavy boot which was very soft in response. It took a loooooong time to respond to the steering wheel inputs compared to what I am used to.

All in all a very ponderous responding car considering KIA is supposed to be the Alfa of Korean Autos.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - commerdriver
>> All in all a very ponderous responding car considering KIA is supposed to be the
>> Alfa of Korean Autos.
>>
As far as I know they are usually more reliable than the Alfa of Italian autos :-)

There are some real car snobs here (including me), I wouldn't choose a Kia / Hyundai but if someone gave me one as a company car saying it's that or the bus I think I'd drive one.

IMHO it's not a great, or even good car, but I don't think that makes it a bad car for a lot of drivers.
>> As far as I know they are usually more reliable than the Alfa of Italian
>> autos :-)
>>
>> There are some real car snobs here (including me), I wouldn't choose a Kia /
>> Hyundai but if someone gave me one as a company car saying it's that or
>> the bus I think I'd drive one.
>>
>> IMHO it's not a great, or even good car, but I don't think that makes
>> it a bad car for a lot of drivers.
>>
As a bit of background I chose to have this car, I was given the pick of the cars available and have always been curious about KIA and why people chose one over say a Focus or Golf.

It was the noise and lack of insulation that got me wondering why anyone would choose one over another car in the class. Maybe things have moved on and all cars in that class are now noisy inside?
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Old Navy
>> It was the noise and lack of insulation that got me wondering why anyone would
>> choose one over another car in the class. Maybe things have moved on and all
>> cars in that class are now noisy inside?
>>

I have not driven the Mk2 but my Mk1 facelift estate model was an average eurobox. I suspect your rental was a base model (no climate), mine replaced a Focus and it was similar in quality.
>> I suspect your rental was a base model (no climate), mine replaced a Focus
>> and it was similar in quality.
>>
As I said at the outset I think, looking at what was in the car and comparing with various motoring sites, I believe it was one up from the base model C'eed2 - Aircon not climate control, cruise control, most of the things people probably want.

I don't know if heated seats are an option or not, that was the only thing I could see missing. A decent sound system/set of speakers would help too.

The engine seemed a bit old tech. for a diesel, got in the car and saw the old coil symbol for the glow plugs doing their thing. That looked odd on a car wearing a 65 plate. Most modern diesels have taken care of that sometime between opening the door and pressing the start button/turning the key.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Dog
>>Not a lovely motor at all but a good practical holdall, cheap to run.

As was the Skoda Estelle I believe.

:}
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - movilogo
I have a Mk I (2007) automatic petrol Cee'd which is a nice car.

I have driven Mk II diesel Cee'd which was OK but I felt Kia had cut corners on newer models. The interior felt bit smaller than Mk I car.

I was thinking of upgrading to Kia Sportage but it only comes as diesel AWD automatic with an appalling fuel economy. So I might have to go for something else (otherwise I'd have stuck with Kia brand).

Kia makes good cars but IMHO their petrols are better than diesels.

KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Armel Coussine
>> >> Not a lovely motor at all but a good practical holdall, cheap to run.

>> As was the Skoda Estelle I believe.

>> :}

Nah Perro, Estelle was a lovely motor. You had to be patient and understand it though.

:o}
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - RattleandSmoke
When you buy a Kia or a Hyundai you're not really buying a car. You're buying a reliable method of transport with hassle free ownership. The i10 is not a car you would ever buy with your heart (hence I bought a Panda instead of the i10) but the i10 has been a joy for my parents to own.

Anything that ever goes wrong has been sorted by the dealers including a new gearbox. Now of course the test will be when it is out of warranty.

KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - WillDeBeest
Exactly. It gets you predictably to Asda (or, as autocorrect would prefer, 'Qaeda') just as a £10 Casio tells the time and a capsule coffee machine produces a brown beverage. Nobody who's experienced something more wholehearted would mistake one for the other but there are plenty of areas where good enough is good enough; we just have different ideas of what they are.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - commerdriver
>> As was the Skoda Estelle I believe.
>>
>> :}
>>
I had a girlfriend many years ago whose dad bought a new Skoda every year and was chuffed to bits with it.
It takes all sorts

You just have to look at the standard of driving out there to realise that a large number of fols we share the roads with don't care how good their car is to drive, if it gets them to the supermarket / school / pub anything else is unimportant
Last edited by: commerdriver on Mon 14 Dec 15 at 16:25
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Avant
I'd agree with you about the previous i10, Rattle, but the current version would be worth a look if you decide to change your Panda. It's a lot nippier and more fun to drive, and the 1.2, which my daughter has, has more power than even the higher-powered VW Up.

If I had to choose which car to take between the new i10 and SWMBO's Mini Cooper Roadster, I'd take the Mini on a long run but for a trip around town or through the country lanes where I live, it would be the i10 every time. The Mini thrives on revs, but the i10 is a lot smarter off the mark.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - RattleandSmoke
The new one is a lot much more refined car but is also a lot more expensive, my dads i10 was £6500 with the 1.2 Kappa engine. It was pre registered but that was a good thing as we needed a car ASAP and the car was registered just two days before he received it anyway.

The way things are working out at the moment, I think I will keep my Panda until it dies.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 14 Dec 15 at 19:35
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Bill Payer
I suppose things may have moved on a little since we looked 4yrs ago but as we usually keep cars in family for some years so we looked at Kia Cee'd and Hyundai i30 attracted by the warranty and I was bit amazed at just how depressing they were.

In contrast the special edition Golf Twist we bought for the same sort of price (£13K then) just somehow felt (and still does - I drove it some distance over the weekend) in a different universe.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Runfer D'Hills
Just got back from a business trip to Poland. Renter was a Toyota Corolla saloon, some kind of petrol engine, manual. Don't think they still do Corollas here do they? Might be wrong.

It was quite the most unnoticeable car I've ever been in I think. It was undoubtedly a car, but just about the most soulless one I've ever encountered.

I expect they're very reliable.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Bromptonaut
>> It was quite the most unnoticeable car I've ever been in I think.

That's my issue with Japanese and other Far East marques.

Do the job OK but if they were sandwiches they'd be processed cheese or ham on sliced white.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Avant
That sounds like the Corolla saloon that we've been allocated several times when hiring a car in South Africa. They had the 1.3 engine which is quite lively in a Yaris but in a Corolla leaves rice puddings unsullied.

In New Zealand the Corolla was a hatch, identical to the UK Auris. Corolla has always been a good name - I think it's one of the best-selling cars worldwide - so the reasons for changing the name in the UK in about 2007 from 'Coronet' to 'Ear' are known only to some besuited nerd within Toyota UK.
There was talk at launch time of it deriving from the Latin for 'gold', but that's 'aurum' (hence chemical symbol Au). As our entertaining organist points out, what they went for suggests confusion between ear and elbow.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Dog
Have an eBird named Aurelia. I didn't realise it meant Golden 'til she told me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelia_(gens)
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Auristocrat
The Auris name was adopted by Toyota Europe for the hatchback that replaced the Corolla hatchback. The Corolla continues to be manufactured and sold in Europe as a saloon - it isn't sold in the UK due to the lower sales volumes of saloons.
Australia and New Zealand refused to accept the name change, so hatchback versions are still sold there as the Corolla.
All true, no doubt, but doesn't explain the poor choice of Auris. Never good to pick a name people aren't sure how to pronounce.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - Alanovich
Bongo Friendee was already taken. As was Cedric.
 KIA Cee'd II - Why ? - spamcan61
>> Bongo Friendee was already taken. As was Cedric.
>>

..and Freda, plus Bipper Tepee
 KIA Cee'd II - That explains a lot - ....
You really do learn something new every day. Musso, I did not know it was Korean for rhinoceros but it certainly explains a lot.
Latest Forum Posts