Motoring Discussion > Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 13

Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - Bromptonaut
Picked up my Roomster on 1st December. A trip to London and back over the weekend means I've done 500 miles so a short report seemed in order.

The London trip was to collect my daughter and her beau from Heathrow after a trip to Oz, overnight in a hotel, and then have a joint welcome home/Xmas celebration with his family. It was therefore an opportunity to try it with 4/5 passengers and quite a bit of luggage as well as a mix of motorway, urban and cross country travel.

Overall impression is a car that does what the tin says and does it well.

The 1.6TDi (yes its an EA159 variant) is willing and flexible. Slightly coarse/noisy under initial acceleration but very quiet and civilised at any normal speed. The gearing is surprisingly high - 30mph in 3rd is 1600rpm - but it pulls ok from 1500 and if you drop to second in sub 30 urban it's very nippy indeed. In other speed ranges it needs different gears to the 'lingo but get it right and performance does all I want.

Driving position is very comfortable. Seat adjustable for height and rake as well as obvious fore & aft and steering wheel also goes in out and up down. Amply supports my left hip and thigh which can gip after hour plus in either Berlingo and other cars too. Good all round visibility though I miss the Berlingo's massive door mirrors.

Easy to manoeuvre; car park at the Sunbury Premier Inn (overnight stay) was absurdly tight but manageable - reverse sensor helped. I'm coming to terms with non PSA control layout, though I keep twisting the indicator stalk to turn lights on or off.

Seated 5 without trouble for short run from LHR to hotel but I think The Lad's g/f in middle seat got a short straw. Boot swallowed all that was asked of it.

Lunch today was at the Mute Swan at Hampton Court. Return home to Northampton via Reading to put Miss B and JD on train home to Plymouth. Mrs B and her Garmin Street Pilot did the navigation via M3>Bagshot>Bracknell>A329 to Reading's massive new station and on home via A4074>A34>M40. In view of the fog I'd asked it to route us M4>A404>M40 but that insubordination is stuff for a satnav review, not here.

According to trip computer it was exactly 100 miles, journey time 2:52, 48.1 mpg and average speed 35mph.

No brim/brim measures yet as although I filled it at Fosse Park 415 miles ago it's still on around half a tank and predicting 235 to next fill.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 13 Dec 15 at 20:45
Missed edit.

Like other car it's got a name - Fritz. Based on registration FR11 JCZ
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - PeterS
Interesting; thanks for such a detailed report. It sounds like it has the same engine as our pool cars - 1.6TDi Bluemotion Golfs, which I did around 400 miles in last week. Certainly very refined, and enough power for its intended purpose. It never felt lacking really. According to the OBC it averaged 54mpg, and that was driving without any particular focus on economy. Anyone who's been on the M40 northbound mid morning will understand what that means ;) I did keep forgetting it only has a 5 speed gearbox though; is that the same for the Skoda?
>>I did keep forgetting it only has a 5 speed gearbox
>> though; is that the same for the Skoda?

My problem is other way, I find myself doing 70+ in fourth.

Not sure if it's VW equivalent from 2011 would be Bluemotion, a word I now associate, like blue HDi, with urea catalyst equipment.

I've been told though that in Germany 'Green' has strong political implications and 'Blue' is an alternative label for 'eco' technology - predating Euro 6 solutions.
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - PeterS
I'm pretty sure the German use of 'Blue' on cars is not limited to those with the urea injection technology. No idea about the Golf (its a 2014 car), but my Merc has 'Blue efficiency' badges on its wings and is a 2011 car. Certainty never had an adBlue top-up - I think it just signifies stop-start and a few other tweaks?

Our 2012 Up had a bluemotion option (£400 or so), but I couldn't seeing it paying back on a car that did less than 4k miles a year, so it wasn't a box we ticked!
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - Zero
>> I'm pretty sure the German use of 'Blue' on cars is not limited to those
>> with the urea injection technology.

At the end of the day its a meaningless marketing bandwagon
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - R.P.
As you know I loved mine - it was e Scout variant with the 1.9 pdi engine. Huge load lugger with plenty of grunt. Standard privacy glass softened the looks !
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - Zero
I'm tempted, its perfect for my lifestyle (plus drug dealer glass and as many toys as possible) but I want an auto and that rules out anything from the VAG stable.
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - Dog
Howls about a multitronic gearbox which are based on the principles of a CVT.
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - Alanovich
>> Howls about a multitronic gearbox which are based on the principles of a CVT.
>>

Google Audi and Mechatronic, then howl yerself.
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - Dog
>>Google Audi and Mechatronic, then howl yerself.

Say n'more squire!
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - legacylad
Go on Zeddo, treat yourself to a MB GLS 350d . Nice slush box and plenty of room for canines.
.... Good luck with the Premium Bonds next month!
 Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report. - idle_chatterer
I found the 1.6CR a very tractable engine in both a Golf VI and a recent Octavia hire car, the Skoda had the DQ200 DSG which drove very well (but was brand new).

Personal experience says I'd avoid the DQ200 and any 'dry clutch' DSG in any application and for eternity, however I am led to believe that the 'wet' variants such as the DQ250 (in the 2.0CR and GTi) and DQ500 (in 4motion derivatives) are a much better proposition. I drove a friend's 2011 4motion VW Transporter van with the DQ500 last week, it has 150,000 Km on the clock and has given no trouble at all.
Been back to dealer today for rectification of faulty rear window electrics . Problem getting offside to close again after cycling both to eliminate wind noise apparent in gusting x/wind on M1. Once I stopped on hard shoulder and airflow reduced I managed to get it closed.

Dealership were very good. Diagnostic and repair visit both prompt and car washed, vacced and waiting.

FOC obviously.
Latest Forum Posts