Motoring Discussion > Odd experience this morning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 34

Odd experience this morning - bathtub tom
Pulled up behind the first car in RH lane at traffic lights, waiting to turn right.

Lights change, we both pull away. Little way down the road, hand comes out of drivers window with two fingers up. I assumed it was a 'friendly' greeting to ambulance parked up on RH side of road.

Car in front suddenly indicates left, pulls partly into driveway on left. I pass, whereupon it pulls out again and sticks close to me and I notice the driver giving me the finger. He keeps tooting his horn and then takes the first exit at a roundabout where I take the second.

SWMBO with me is as bemused as me. She says she's the first to berate me for aggressive driving, but couldn't understand what the other driver was so irate about. He was stationary when I pulled up behind him. I wasn't very close when we pulled away and pulled further back when he started to exhibit weird behaviour. I never used my lights or horn at any stage.

I'm at a loss to explain his behaviour. Can anyone think why he did what he did?
 Odd experience this morning - henry k
There are a lot of strange folks driving cars!!!
Perhaps he considered you were tailgating ??

I got tooted today. Waiting to enter a very small roundabout when a gap appeared so I jut my foot down and took the second exit. The guy tooting was also stationary but two roads to my right. I can only guess he considered he was entitled to the road and I should have given way to him. We both started off at about the same time but perhaps he does not like Jaguars?
 Odd experience this morning - Bromptonaut
Are you sure you hadn't crossed him earlier in your journey?

Or perhaps it was the guy you upset here www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=20478&v=f coming back for more?
 Odd experience this morning - Dog
>>I'm at a loss to explain his behaviour. Can anyone think why he did what he did?

What does your dashcam show? .. as essential as fuel IMO, for anyone living/driving East of Tamar.
 Odd experience this morning - R.P.
Ronnie Pickering again ?
 Odd experience this morning - VxFan
Who?
 Odd experience this morning - Manatee
RONNIE PICKERING!
 Odd experience this morning - Mr. Ecs
thesun.uk/6010Bn5qC
 Odd experience this morning - smokie
So the guy is something of a magnet for trouble. Wonder if that implies anything about his driving?
 Odd experience this morning - Runfer D'Hills
"They live among us" BT. I guess I decided a very long time ago that there will always be a proportion of the population who are in varying degrees, stupid, aggressive, temporarily or permanently disturbed, or indeed just plain bonkers. Unfortunately some them have access to motor vehicles too.

I take the view that all other road users are potentially a hazard and may well do things which are dangerous, confrontational or unpredictable. Most won't of course, but there are enough of the "others" to ensure it happens from time to time.

Wouldn't give it another thought. ( unless you subsequently discover that your lights are stuck on main beam or something ! )

;-)

Odd experience this morning - Alanovich
btt, did you accidentally flash your lights when indicating, or something like that maybe? I know I sometimes do it as the full beam is on the indicator stalk , other drivers must wonder what it means. Some might take it as an act of aggression, but it's just an accident. Maybe you did that and didn't realise.
 Odd experience this morning - Dutchie
Why is tooting seen as a act of aggression?

I tooted the other day waiting behind a cyclist to turn right.I know it is a busy road but there where cars opposite me wanting to let me out.Cyclist decided not to move.Cyclist got a bit aggressive with me.

When I started cycling we never stopped in front of cars always at the side of the road ready to move.
 Odd experience this morning - WillDeBeest
Can't quite see it from your description, Dutchie, but hooting at a vulnerable road user to try to pressure him into a risky move sounds, at best, unsympathetic.

You were also stationary, and it wasn't an emergency, which makes your toot not just unsympathetic but also illegal.
}:---)
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 17 Dec 15 at 11:11
I never "toot", never feel the need. "Tooting" at an idiot doesn't suddenly cure them of idiocy, it just makes them a rattled idiot which can often be worse than than standard version.
 Odd experience this morning - bathtub tom
Fairly sure I didn't inadvertently flash my main beam when indicating - I've seen others do it often enough and realise what they've done. I would probably noticed the flash on the back of his car as well. I certainly wasn't on main beam.

It's been suggested he spotted my dashcam and took umbrage at that. In which case he must be permanently angry with the number of CCTVs around.
 Odd experience this morning - Manatee

>> It's been suggested he spotted my dashcam and took umbrage at that.

Quite possible, hadn't thought of that. "You taking my picture wivvout permission!"
 Odd experience this morning - Alanovich
If it's the dashcm, he's going to be a busy busy little angry man. There are so many on cars nowadays that I don't think it could be that.

I think he has simply misinterpreted a signal or action, or thought he's seen you do something which you haven't done, or mistaken you for someone else. The brain plays tricks. Especially on the terminally angry. Maybe he thought you were driving too close.
 Odd experience this morning - commerdriver
Maybe you were looking at him in his mirror
 Odd experience this morning - MD
On reflection you may be right.
 Odd experience this morning - Boxsterboy
I rarely toot, but had occasion to the other night. A car pulled alongside me at the lights and I noticed the driver had propped his smart phone in the instrument binae and was watching something on his phone - a form of TV. Idiot! So I tooted. The driver looked up and couldn't work out who had tooted, so engrossed was he with his little screen.

I trust my tooting was acceptable?
 Odd experience this morning - tyrednemotional
...was he watching Tootsie?

If so, your toot was entirely in line with etiquette.
 Odd experience this morning - Ted

Were you in Tooting...? Good job you weren't in Barking !
I was in Penny come quick the other day.

[Pen y cwm gwyk]

:o}
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 18 Dec 15 at 13:04
 Odd experience this morning - Armel Coussine
>> I was in Penny come quick the other day.

That takes me back a bit Perro. St Budeaux, Mutley Plain, Cremyll ferry... d'you often go to Plymouth?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 18 Dec 15 at 17:46
>>d'you often go to Plymouth?

Not if I can help it :o)

I was thinking of ye olde cottage Sire, called Pen y cwm gwyk. I went to view it with my friend who advised me not to touch it with a Roach pole because a gable wall was beginning to head South.

A builder bought it eventually and made a few bucks from it, as they do:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.4824427,-4.6483952,3a,75y,297.38h,83.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVwO_uWRnODcJRH5IY-YUmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Question is, who to?

99.—(1) Subject to the following paragraphs, no person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle which is—
(a)stationary on a road, at any time, other than at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road; or

(b)in motion on a restricted road, between 23.30 hours and 07.00 hours in the following morning.

That's from the Construction and Use Regulations - i.e. the law - which is why the equivalent paragraphs get a bold-type MUST NOT in the Highway Code.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 18 Dec 15 at 12:51
 Odd experience this morning - No FM2R
>>I'm at a loss to explain his behaviour.

Its easy;

He is overly concerned with the small size of his penis and so he bolsters his feelings of insecurity and flagging self-esteem by reacting to tiny insults, real or imagined, in an aggressive manner.

He judgement is not to be trusted; it is irrational and therefore usually defies explanation by more reasonable human beings..
 Odd experience this morning - sherlock47

>> Its easy;
>>
>> He is overly concerned with the small size of his penis and so he bolsters
>> his feelings of insecurity and flagging self-esteem by reacting to tiny insults, real or imagined,
>> in an aggressive manner.
>>
>> He judgement is not to be trusted; it is irrational and therefore usually defies explanation
>> by more reasonable human beings..
>>

been to therapy this morning NoFM ? reverting to the consultancy game of recycling the clients own comments :)
 Odd experience this morning - No FM2R
>> reverting to the consultancy game of recycling the clients own comments

Oh I'm normally all over that approach, but did I just do it? How sad, I wasn't even aware.

I need to go and lie down.
 Odd experience this morning - zippy
There is no judging other drivers.

I was visiting a company today and just about to leave (engine running, lights on, in reverse gear) when a car parked right behind me blocking me in. The driver jumped out and disappeared before I could get out and ask him to move.

I tracked him down to the office and asked politely if he could move, he just shrugged and said "in a minute mate". Now the guy was an employee of the company (in the company's work wear).

About half an hour later he returned and moved the car.

Now, I am going to place a big order. Is it going to be with them or the other supplier as there is nothing much in the price?
>> Now, I am going to place a big order. Is it going to be with them or the other supplier as there is nothing much in the price?

The other supplier provided the goods are as good. And make the reason clear to all parties.

The boorishness of some people is beyond belief.
I'd be fuming - and wondering if the company was well managed. OK, car parks get full, but if you're going to double-park, even for a minute, you don't do it by the visitors' spaces, because you don't know who you might be annoying. And, in a well managed company, the employees should know that.
That would be a really bad reason to favour the other supplier Zippy. Very satisfying though...

;-)

I once had a bit of an argument with a woman who thought I should relinquish an on street parking space because she wanted it ( I had parked there moments before ) I refused, politely enough, but as I was in a hurry to get to a meeting with a buyer in the premises I was outside and I sort of left her to it.

When I got into the building, I asked for "Mrs Smith" or whatever her name was to be told she would be there presently but that she was having trouble finding a parking space...

Yep, oops !
>> Yep, oops !

I dunno Humph... you'd already established moral dominance. After that you could just name your price, putting it up a bit for the aggro.

Or do I misunderstand the principles of what they call business? It's only too likely.
 Odd experience this morning - zippy
>>That would be a really bad reason to favour the other supplier Zippy

He he!

I know! At the end of the day it'll be down to who we work best with and who has the best product and aftersales.

It just goes to show that the silliest thing could potentially upset a deal or win a deal!

(We won a major deal on a small observation by me once - the customer wanted a real bespoke service and when reviewing their cash flow noticed that a very small change and 1 extra days work a month would add £8m to their cash flow, resulting in interest saved on that amount. I just mentioned it to the FD over a coffee. We were definitely not the cheapest at the time.)
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 18 Dec 15 at 19:01
Latest Forum Posts