Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 14

Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - Bigtee
Looking at buying one of these vectras it's the 120 bhp 1.9 cdti 58 plate with only 5k on the clock, some old kid owned it and obviously never drove it much!

Is this a 8 valve engine or the 16 valve engine? Took it for a test drive and is nice and responsive pulls well & im no lightweight!!

I have looked at several reviews and they say the mondeo is quicker and better refined but im a vauxhall man & unlikely to change for some time, The good points of this car is the leg room im 6ft-4" and i like the large boot.

The spec is the executive with 6 speed manaul gear box & hatchback, any known problems with this car?
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - Marc
This is the FIAT 1.9 CDTi engine, available in 120 and 150 bhp guises IIRC. I think there have been some issues with it. Best to do a search on :

www.vectra-c.com/forum/index.php

Generic Vectra C faults are broken front springs (seemingly common on a lot of Euro built cars), failing rear shocks (replace with Bilstein B4s) and earlier car's wiper linkages failing (shouldn't affect a 58 though)

The Vectra is a good motorway cruiser although the Mondeo is a better 'driver's car' dynamically. I personally feel the Vectra is better built having owned both.

Haven't heard of Executive spec - sure it's not a Design or an Elite?
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - mikeyb
Think VX offer an Exclusiv spec
Haven't heard of Executive spec - sure it's not a Design or an Elite?

It's me im wrong too many shandys it's the Exclusive spec.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - VxFan
The 120 is the 8v engine.
The 150 is the 16v engine.

As said, both from the Fiat camp, and loads of info/help available from vectra-c.com

Engine specs here:- www.srba.cz/opel/files/pdf/srba-servis-vectra-specifikace.pdf

Expect the rear brake pads to wear before the front ones. Had the discs and pads on mine changed at 44,000 miles. Front pads and discs are currently on 53,000 miles.

Tempting fate now, but I'm still on the original springs and shocks. Only thing I've had go wrong with mine (2006 2.2 direct injection petrol) is the fuel pump, fuel regulator, and timing chain tensioner. All sorted out while still under warranty, with the exception of the timing chain tensioner, but Vauxhall paid 70% of the repair bill as a goodwill gesture.

Lastly, always remember when parking up to leave in 1st gear. The handbrake has been known to release itself - even after Vx supposed to have fixed the problem.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 24 Jul 10 at 23:24
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - PRM
Apparently the 8v is more reliable than the 16v.
Apparently the 8v is more reliable than the 16v.

Well thats good to know!

The DPF is a little worry but from what i have read a good blast now and again cures this, im lead to understand it starts to work at 56mph so idling around town school runs etc don't help and it requires to be at temperature and take it for a motorway blast to clear the DPF does this sound correct?

Does the DPF work by spraying a small amount of diesel into the filter to start the process working?

Thanks for that link Dave vxfan i saved that!, The sales guy says id be better off with a petrol as i do approx 10k now but this astra is uncomfortable after 140mls so a larger car may mean i do a few more miles, besides not owned a diesel and would like some fuel economy.
www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Te above link is interesting read.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - Iffy
...DPF regeneration...

I have had no problems with the DPF on the CC3, don't even realise it's there.

Living in the wide open spaces of the North East probably helps, but I'm no test pilot.

The run down to the caravan is mostly at 60/70mph, which seems to be fast enough to keep the DPF happy.

Another point is I would expect Ford - and Vauxhall - to engineer the installation properly.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - VxFan
>> The sales guy says id be better off with a petrol as i do approx 10k ....

He's right, unless you've found a CDTi at a cheap price. Generally they're dearer than their petrol cousins. What you've got to weigh up is whether paying extra money for a diesel will work out cheaper in the long run by saving money on fuel and getting better mpg.
Planning on keeping it 3 yrs at least it will be fully loaded with kids and camping gear often so i want something that is big but better on fuel so hopefully the diesel will be fine, plus i want to own one always drove petrol for the past 23 yrs.
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - Runfer D'Hills
It is a perhaps sad but more or less inevitable thing that a man comes eventually to desire/need/want a large, inexpensive diesel estate car. You will though not regret the decision despite its potential to depress.....It will almost certainly be one of your best purchases. You could make the thing almost perfect by having a Mondeo instead of course.......

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sun 25 Jul 10 at 16:19
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear, just re-read the original post. A hatchback ? Dear me......Is it too late ? Have you actually bought it ?

:-)
Estate Vectras are like rocking horse poo!

They didn't make that many compared with the Hatchback and it holds it 's price too, hope you didn't mean a saloon which any saloon car is of no use to nobody not very practical is it?
 Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra cdti 120 bhp 8v or 16v? Reviews please? - spamcan61
The 16v is prone to gumming up the swirl gate actuator valves IIRC.
Latest Forum Posts