Motoring Discussion > Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 14

Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Dog
Driving over potholes could in the future cut fuel consumption thanks to a revolutionary new shock absorber.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7906697/Driving-over-potholes-can-save-fuel.html
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Zero
I give it 3 years before they they find a way to tax you for using potholes.
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Bellboy
is that journalist on something?
what about ruined tyres and bent rims
and upsetting your spine on every rebound
what tosh
no wonder i gave my subscription up ..................
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Iffy
...is that journalist on something?....

He might be, but the idea has got nothing to do with him, he's just reporting it.

The postman delivered a large credit card bill the other day, but I didn't blame him for it.

Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Mike Hannon
April 1 again.
And the man has a name like a bad hand at Scrabble...
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - CGNorwich
A variation on the perpetual motion theme! However the truth is your car will still use less energy on a flat road than a pot-holed one. It will however recover some of the energy that is currently wasted when it is turned into heat by the shock absorber. Even if it is only a fraction of a percent of the total energy used it could still make contribution to global energy saving.
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Old Navy
I would think that regenerative braking would be a better bet, I don't want to give politicians an excuse to neglect the infrastructure more than they have already. Any car is going to suffer from deliberate pothole surfing.
So that's it then - bumpy ride generators + regenerative breaking systems + a mini wind turbine on the roof :)
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Old Navy
>> So that's it then - bumpy ride generators + regenerative breaking systems + a mini
>> wind turbine on the roof :)
>>

Regenerating breaking systems are a novel thought, I was referring to braking systems. :-)
>>Regenerating breaking systems are a novel thought, I was referring to braking systems. :-)<<

My spell checker has the day orf on Sunday :-)
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Bagpuss
This idea is actually nothing new. I remember someone I worked with trying to develop a similar idea around 20 years ago (he didn't patent it though). I guess now the technology is available to make it work at a reasonable cost. It's not really anything to do with driving on potholed roads, the shock absorbers on a car are working and therefore dissipating energy all the time.

By the way, BMWs with "Efficient Dynamics" use regenerative braking to charge the battery.
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Iffy
...It's not really anything to do with driving on potholed roads, the shock absorbers on a car are working and therefore dissipating energy all the time...

Yes, some on here seem to have taken the potholes line too literally.

It was just a journalistic device to make something dull - a shock absorber going up and down - sound interesting.
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Bellboy
so he was just bouncing ideas around then
im shocked
but will rebound back later
Perhaps we need an overhead power supply for electric vehicles like they had for trams in the olde days,
Perhaps I need to take the dog out :}
 Driving over potholes 'can save fuel' - Auntie Lockbrakes
The best way to save fuel is to maintain a fixed speed with minimal braking and re-accelerating isn't it? Pot holes, like speed humps on housing estates, make us hit the brakes, and then our CO2 output balloons as we pull away again and our mpg falls. What a great scenario!
Latest Forum Posts