Motoring Discussion > Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes)
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 11

Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - Pezzer
Last Sunday a friend of mine popped round (as promised) with his brand new Boxster S. Well we went out for a spin with the roof down and all the 'loud' buttons pressed..... I am still grinning now.

For those of you who know the area we went up to Winchester via Bishops Waltham from the S Coast. Even from the passenger seat the Boxster felt stunning and with the 'silly' noisy button pressed the sound was (I am embarrassed to admit) fantastic - we went through the M3 underpass a couple of times just to get the full effect !

We were 2 fifty somethings just laughing and giggling like schoolboys and it reminded me of when as a 17 yo having just passed my test I used to go out for a drive with mates just for the hell of it .... ok so it was a knackered Triumph Herald convertible with a hole in the exhaust !

Any way it was one of those glad to be alive moments :-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Dec 15 at 12:44
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - Runfer D'Hills
Good for you Pezzer ! Sounds great fun. I got the chance to drive my next door neighbour's red Mk3 E Type V12 roadster with the top down the other weekend around the Cheshire/Shropshire lanes on one of very rare recent dry days.

I did feel a bit of a fraud in so far as I didn't wear a cravat or a tweed jacket but apart from that it was a very pleasing retro experience. Thirsty thing mind you !

Other 'interesting' cars I've had a shot of this year include a Porsche Panamera. ( unreasonably fast ) and a Mercedes C63 estate. ( hooligan dressed as a family man )

All great fun, but in the end, any car which has reasonable dynamics given the right road and the right mood can be uplifting. Dragging back home to Cheshire last night from Brighton on a combination of dark rainswept motorways was of course the polar opposite of fun.
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - Westpig
Pezzer,

Amazingly, at the very time you pressed 'send' for your post.... I was stood in my garden coming to the end of a period of subterfuge, whereby a friend's wife had asked for my help in her quest to purchase a car for her hubby's Christmas present... (and for which we were successful).. and it had been parked in my shed awaiting the moment of handing over.

We were doing the unveil when you posted your thread.

.... and the car?

A Porsche Boxster. I'll post it all in another thread,so as not to take over this one.
Amazing coincidence and she sounds like a pretty amazing wife too . I suspect the search was a most enjoyable exercise ! How old and which model did you procure?
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - Westpig
>> How old and which model did you procure?
>>

Presume you've seen the other thread... if not, '03' plate Boxster 'S', 66K mileage, Tiptronic, decent history
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - MD
May as well buy a Bob Marley 330i petrol. Just as quick. More reliable. Cheap to procure and decent mpg if you want.
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - No FM2R
"Bob Marley"?
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - R.P.
BMW one would guess. I may adopt that.
Never catch me doing something daft like that ;-)
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - legacylad
Strangely enough, I looked after a friends Boxster S for a few months in 2013/4. He spends a considerable amount of time at his place overseas, and is also the lucky owner of a MB 350 SL which remains in his garage. I offered to garage it at my place, and was insured to drive it, so drove it on and off for a few months, together with my own 330 ragtop. It was an '05 plate, and very different to the BM.
Waaay more fun to drive with a metallic howl when revved hard. Fabulous handling and brought a huge grin to my face when out on a lightly trafficked Dales road. Obviously not as practical, and far more expensive to run... Insurance, parts, servicing. It felt so much quicker than the BM, but in reality was only marginally so. Buy boy did it handle. Did I mention that! When he returned I had the opportunity to buy it for £10k, but it had an incomplete service history, and with my limited mileage would have been an extravagance too far. I was also really worried about any potential repair bills, whereas I know my 330 is incredibly reliable with full history from day 1.
My heart still regrets not buying it. My head tells me I made the right decision.
It went to one of his works colleagues and that was the last I heard of it. And it just fit inside my 7ft garage doors, although reversing out was so much harder than in the BM. If I had bought it I would have had the additional expense of turning my two 7ft doors into one large sectional door.
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - legacylad
Talking of which, I'm still thinking of installing a single large sectional door. I've been contemplating it for at least five years, but it would improve access & egress immensely. I really should bite the bullet, though doubt it would add value to the property.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 26 Dec 15 at 00:07
 Porsche - 17 again (for a few minutes) - Bromptonaut
Won't add value but little things like garage access can make difference between first and second choice if buyer has a shortlist.
Latest Forum Posts