Motoring Discussion > Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 16

Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Ian (Cape Town)
tinyurl.com/jttcrju

Oh dear. Somebody ran out of talent.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 29 Dec 15 at 08:44
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Robin O'Reliant
"The insurance assessor took three minutes to write the car off".

I'd have sacked him for time wasting.
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Bobby
So wheres the evidence of the 150mph speeds?
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Armel Coussine
It's a very silly car for road use. Owners must really enjoy showing off how slowly and cautiously they can drive, because that's what they are going to have to do all the time unless they want to climb trees like matey there...

OK, they've got bread coming out of their ears... So what actually?

Illustrates obliquely my contention that capitalism is theft.
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Alastairw
Wouldn't be surprised if the car had some sort of data logger or black box.
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - legacylad
Although I have an interest in cars, I have never been in the slightest bit interested in hiring 'exotica'. Nor in track days either.
Give me an M3 four door saloon any day. Or an M5 Touring. Doesn't even have to be new. If I wanted to hire a proper performance car that is what I would hire. None of this 'look at me' stuff.
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Runfer D'Hills
Not that I am ever likely to be in a position to have to wrestle with such a dilemma, but I'd tend to think that even if I were able to afford it, that I'd be more inclined to some kind of a Q car than anything too obvious.

A friend who is able to cope with the considerable financial commitment required to join that particular club confirmed this suspicion in a way when he got rid of his Panamera and replaced it with a de-badged C63 estate.

He had loved driving the Porsche but had become disenchanted with the regularity of people trying to goad him into a race or otherwise driving aggressively around it. That and a perception that it attracted more a than usual level of interest from police traffic car crews.

Conversely the Mercedes seemed to pass under the radar of both the idiots and the authorities while still providing him with a lot of driving fun without attracting unwanted attention.
Son-in-law used to have a black Nissan Skyline turbo. With 4-wheel-drive, lightened and stripped, with a roll cage, the thing went like a scalded cat, the turbo wastegate making charming tweeting sounds with the gearchanges. Of course like all very fast road cars it spent most of its road time idling along in the gears in a harmless pootle, but it was really stirring with a bit of pedal.

He used to take it to the Nurburgring and exercise it theree on track days I guess.

Needless to say it was an expensive beast to run and my daughter soon managed to flush it down the toilet (make him get rid of it I mean). Women can be really heartless and philistine about some things.
Quite a long time ago now, a friend lived close enough to where he worked to walk there. A then young father of two his wife had convinced him to sell his prized sports motor bike and they were down to sharing a small car to cover all their family transport needs.

A year or two later he got another job which was better paid but no longer an easy walk or bus ride away.

A family meeting was held, a budget was set and it was agreed that a second car would be necessary.

He did invite his wife to come car shopping with him but she refused on the grounds of lack of interest and said that so long as he didn't exceed the budget they had discussed that it was up to him really.

So, he returned home the following Saturday evening to be asked by her if he had sorted out a car.

He replied in the affirmative and she idly asked what he had gone for in the end.

"A Honda" he replied...

"Oh good", she said, "my dad says they're very reliable"

"Yeah, they are, I'm picking it up on Wednesday"

"Great, what colour is it?"

"Mostly white"

"How do you mean 'mostly' white"

"Well, it has a bit of red and and a bit of blue on it"

"Sounds a bit weird"

"No, it's a standard colour scheme on that model"

"What model is it?"

"Erm, it's a cough, erm, Fireblade..."
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Harleyman

>> "Erm, it's a cough, erm, Fireblade..."
>>
>>

Heh! Like his style.
Indeed ! However, she wore him down again in the end, now he has a diesel 4x4 and a caravan. But just for a while there he looked happy. Perhaps thats where he went wrong...

;-)
>> it spent most of its road time idling along in the gears in a harmless pootle

Harmless, but far from silent. Stripped cars are noisy by definition, but this one had three mechanical limited-slip differentials, all filled with straight-cut gears, as well as the engine just through a thin metal bulkhead if that. All that mechanical whining and screaming isn't really a woman's sort of thing, 'never mind the power, I mean yeah yeah but it sets my teeth on edge. Snort!'
As stated previously by myself, a C63 or M5 Touring would be my wagon of choice. I'm not interested in Astons , Maseratis, Ferraris .
JCT near me have a low mileage '09 M5 Touring for £28k. Gorgeous colour.
Sadly, no panoramic sunroof so I'm not interested. Honestly.
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Lygonos
M5? Meh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQKzNildXE

and on a variety of surfaces....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfpr6vYZ_U0

I have a feeling the Doc could just have offered you a very satisfactory prescription there LL !

Fast, fun, suitable for rural activities or granny duty as required. Oh, and you like Subarus too...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 30 Dec 15 at 09:45
 Lamborghini - A rather expensive prang. - Dog
>>and on a variety of surfaces....

>>www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfpr6vYZ_U0

Who needs a snow plough when there's a Subaru about - quite amazing!
No thanks. Several years ago I briefly considered a 3.0 Outback, and these days I get my Subaru fix by driving my friends 2.5 Outback. Amazingly capable in snowy conditions with winter tyres. I've driven home in full on blizzard conditions through the Sierra's when I thought we would be stranded.
I'm over Subarus now!
Latest Forum Posts