Motoring Discussion > Traffic planning ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 6

Traffic planning ? - Old Navy
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3385061/Busy-road-turned-death-trap-council-creates-5ft-cycle-lanes.html
 Traffic planning ? - Bobby
There seems to be many planners of the opinion that you slow traffic down by confusing them.
In a way I agree, have you ever passed through a crossroads that the traffic lights aren't working? Traffic always seems to flow better.

There was a similar trial in Kirkintilloch recently, involving the cycle charity Sustrans where they removed all signage, lights and barriers at the town centre crossroads so that no one, vehicle, cyclist or pedestrian had right of way!

Really not sure how that works for any blind pedestrians!
 Traffic planning ? - Bobby
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-32393984
 Traffic planning ? - Old Navy
>> There seems to be many planners of the opinion that you slow traffic down by confusing them.

The method they use to slow traffic in my area is a multitude of traffic lights, its very effective, they have generated queues where none existed.
 Traffic planning ? - Bromptonaut
Teacup storm alert. The before photograph in Mail article is credited to Streetview. If you stand there and look the other way you get this view:

goo.gl/maps/n6HQUbeWDdK2

So council have put cycle lanes on road just outside centre of what I guess will be a smart commuter village for Newcastle upon Tyne. Furthermore, as the lanes are defined by broken lines there's no requirement for cars to keep put (though they should when passing cyclists).

And I seriously doubt they appeared like mushrooms at dawn with no prior notice. I've neither time nor patience to wade through minutes of Corbridge parish Council to prove thisthough.
 Traffic planning ? - smokie
Also looks like it had a resurface, I wonder if that also happened overnight? (Photos could be misleading though)
 Traffic planning ? - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> In a way I agree, have you ever passed through a crossroads that the traffic
>> lights aren't working? Traffic always seems to flow better.
>>
>> >>
It does at first, but if they are out for more than a day the regulars get used to it and the junction becomes an "Every man for himself" nightmare.
Latest Forum Posts