Motoring Discussion > Not Much Blood Lost.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 31

Not Much Blood Lost.... - Robin O'Reliant
....But I now have a working offside headlight bulb again.

They do tuck the little devils into awkward corners, don't they?
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - Runfer D'Hills
Noticed my wife's car had a dipped beam bulb out this morning when she was leaving for work. The car has been with us for 5 years and so far not needed bulbs so given that she wouldn't be home until after dark tonight and needs to use about 15 miles of unlit country lanes I suggested she pop into a Halfords at lunchtime and get both sides done.

Mission accomplished apparently and they relieved her of £30 for two dipped beam bulbs inc fitting.

Wee bit dear but not too scary in the scheme of things and hopefully oncoming traffic will avoid her mirrors as a result...
>>>>
>> Mission accomplished apparently and they relieved her of £30 for two dipped beam bulbs inc
>> fitting.
>>
>> Wee bit dear but not too scary in the scheme of things and hopefully oncoming
>> traffic will avoid her mirrors as a result...
>>

My H7 was £3.99 from my local motor factor, as opposed to £9.99 in Halfords. They do charge a fair bit for bulbs.
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - tyrednemotional
...I'm currently replacing the heater blower resistor on SWMBOs Fiesta.

Same issues apply.

(and though I now have access, since I am not a triple-jointed dwarf, and it is raining, the laying down on the floor to unscrew the unit will have to wait for a while) :-(
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - Ted
I've got to do that on SWM's Note...Tiredboy. Only getting the two top speeds and you can't hear the radio with them blasting out !

Will order one and fit it when its a bit brighter and drier. Have to take the glovebox out...5 screws and there it is !
...that's one more speed than the Fiesta (top only- which isn't over good when you need to demist in this weather - it's effective, but wearing!).

One easy piece of trim to remove from under the glovebox, one significantly more difficult one from the passenger side of the "tunnel" - which accounted for some skin, and then it's tucked away behind all the heater gubbins, secured with two torx screws.

At least none of the clips were damaged in removal, despite some brute force and ignorance being applied.
...well....job done.

Removed the resistor more easily than was implied on the web (still had to work from outside the car at an angle, but access to the screws not too bad).

Checked the part number of the removed part, ordered off eBay, arrived and refitted in a short dry-spell this am, and then struggled with the trim again!

It's all successfully gone back with a bit of coaxing, and I (actually, SWMBO) now have four fan speeds.

Job's a good 'un.

:-)
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - WillDeBeest
...laying down on the floor to unscrew the unit...

I suppose the down makes the floor more comfortable to lie on.
};---)
...but no drier...
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - Bobby
Changed bulbs in my Hyundai ix35 the other day - a 2 minute job and enough space behind each light to swing a cat (if one were needed)
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - Zero
Funny that, both my bulbs (h4s) went last week. 6 days apart. Got a two for one deal at Halfords.
I generally change both if one goes on the basis that the other is probably on borrowed time.
And I have just had to order two new tyres. Damn this motoring crap is expensive
>> is expensive

Joking aside though, that Mitsubishi doesn't owe you a lot from what you've said? Similar with the Qashqai really, if it were not for the self detaching door mirrors ( allegedly ) it really hasn't cost much at all apart from normal consumables in 5 years.
>> >> is expensive
>>
>> Joking aside though, that Mitsubishi doesn't owe you a lot from what you've said?

Not a damn thing. The only non service items it has needed is two drop links. Mot at month end, if it passes with no issues I might even treat it to a new cam belt. Should double its value.
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - Clk Sec
>> I generally change both if one goes on the basis that the other is probably
>> on borrowed time.
>>

Not something I've given any thought to before reading this thread, but no bulbs in my near 14 year old Japanese barge have needed to be replaced so far.

Not gloating, like.
Do you still drive in the dark at your time of life?

;-))
We've just arrived home, I'll have you know.
:)
Just in time for Eggheads then !

I like Eggheads.
Never miss it. New series started yesterday.
Do you ever want to slap CJ?

Or is it just me?

;-)
He's much improved lately.

Must go...
I generally change both if one goes...

Don't forget to change the oil while you've got the bonnet open.
>> I generally change both if one goes...
>>
>> Don't forget to change the oil while you've got the bonnet open.

He has a man for that
I like to do what I can to support employment opportunities in the local community. It's a form of philanthropy really.
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - Bromptonaut
Easy-Peasy job on Mrs B's Berlingo. As posted above room to swing a cat. Older one was a pain on nearside due to (a) proximity of battery and heavy duty wiring loom (b) a fiddly to fit cover on rear of lighting unit.

The Roomie looks straightforward too though it uses different bulbs - PITA as I'd just bought twin packs of H4 on a bogof.

Easiest of all though was the BX. Whole headlamp unit held in place by four giant press-studs. Ease the unit out, disconnect the wiring plug, and take indoors to change bulb in warm with bonus of being able to wash out any gunk collecting inside.
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - mikeyb
Must be the season for it. Replaced both on the Lexus about November, and yesterday one went again.

Have replaced both again, but one was a particular pig to get access to - needed the hand of a small child to easily gain access.

I have the slightly obscure H11 bulbs - not available in local motor factors, order only at £15.95 each, so went to Halfords and bought the super dooper extra bright jobies £30 but buy one get one free which made them about the same price as the standard ones
I bought a pack of 12 H1 bulbs at a discount somewhere round year 2k. I've still got nine left and that's after giving one of them to a neighbour. I haven't had a car that uses those for years, though I think the main beams on the Astra might be. I'll have to check.

EDIT: They're not :-(
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 5 Jan 16 at 21:25
Mikey, I'd be a bit concerned about a newish car that ate bulbs - especially expensive ones - at that rate. Still under warranty, presumably, so can you get the dealer to check the voltage it's delivering to the bulbs?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 5 Jan 16 at 21:29
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - mikeyb
WdB - I agree. The first ones I bought came in plain white box's with no branding so I cant really be sure what they were in terms of quality, but if one of the new halfords jobs goes then I'll ask them to take a look.

I only remember changing 2 headlight bulbs and 1 tail light on the Sharan in 10 years and 110K, so it must be the shoddy japanese stuff.......
 Not Much Blood Lost.... - Manatee
>>super dooper extra bright jobies

That's your problem.
Don't think so: they're the ones that are still working. And the factory-fit bulbs went first, don't forget.
Latest Forum Posts