Motoring Discussion > Can I Still Use My UK Licence? Legal Questions
Thread Author: Kamperfan Replies: 6

Can I Still Use My UK Licence? - Kamperfan
Hi,
I'm a Brit and have held a UK licence since 1981. It's the paper one that's valid until I reach the age of 70 (in 2032).
I have been living in Indonesia for the last 17 years but am planning to hire a campervan in the UK this coming spring. The hire companies that I have contacted so far say that their insurers won't insure me if I only hold an Indonesian licence, so I hope to use my UK licence.

So I'd like to ask
a) Is it legal to drive on my UK licence in the UK if I am no longer a UK resident?
b) I've heard different stories about the address on the UK licence. Some people say it has to be the place you live and others say it only needs to be a place through which you can be contacted. My licence still has the same address it had on it back in 1981 (which is still my parents' address) but does a wrong address invalidate a licence?

My feeling is that I can still drive in the UK on my old licence and that not having the correct address constitutes an offence but doesn't invalidate the licence.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Thanks
 Can I Still Use My UK Licence? - No FM2R
I received an email, which I can no longer find, from the DVLA telling me that using my parents address as my correspondence address was totally acceptable and need only be changed if they moved or I actually lived in the UK.

This was in the process of discussions about international driving permits. i have used, and been stopped by the police using, my UK driving licence extensively since I started living abroad many many years ago.
 Can I Still Use My UK Licence? - No FM2R
p.s. that would have been about 2 years ago.,
 Can I Still Use My UK Licence? - Pat
Hello Kamperfan and welcome to car4play:)

I at first thought that your paper licence wouldn't be valid anymore but since reading this

www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

I find I was wrong...now, how's that for a female to admit to!!

However I haven't got time at the moment to research your questions but the site I linked to should have the answers on there somewhere, happy hunting!

Pat
It's OK, I'm not an insomniac, Indonesia is 7 hours ahead of the UK.

Thanks for the info.
Re the address I believe there is a fine of up to 1000 pounds if the address on the licence is incorrect but the DVLA will not amend a licence to show a foreign address. Apparently, it's enough to have a valid address through which you can be contacted.

Yeah, the paper licences are still legal but I read that they plan to phase them out by 2033.

Can anyone help on the legality of a UK passport holder using a UK licence in the UK while no longer a UK resident?
I called the DVLA a few days ago and they were not much help.
The person on the other end of the telephone didn't want to state categorically that it was legal or not. "Can't comment on individual cases" etc.
I suspect it's fine because my licence is valid until 2032 but I don't want to end up in a accident and then discover that my non-residency means I can no longer use a UK licence.
 Can I Still Use My UK Licence? - CGNorwich
There is no residence requirement for a UK driving licence, only that it shows a valid UK address in order you can be contacted. It is a driving licence and not a proof of identity or UK residence

I suspected that was the case but it's nice to hear it confirmed.
Thanks, it means my mini tour is back on
Latest Forum Posts