Motoring Discussion > New Car Musings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 105

New Car Musings - Bobby
As mentioned elsewhere, thinking of changing my car (Hyundai ix35 2.0 crdi AWD) due to a potential hefty bill for replacement clutch and dual mass flywheel. It averages about 36mpg while driving like a nun.

I do about 12k miles a year, my last cars have been Seat Altea and 3 Scenics. All diesels.

90% of the time I am in the car myself but its the other 10% that changes the requirements. I have a black Labrador that likes runs in the car to the beach. The lab is five years old and although he has no issues jumping up into my car just now there will come a time I guess that a high load lip may present an issue. I occasionally carry 2 bikes (currently on roof) and last year we went camping for the first time and hope to do more this year with a potential trip into Europe with the tent and associated eqpt.

My priorities are primarily running costs and toys. Definitely want cruise control and reversing sensors. Ideally low tax and high mpg. I am not sure if I want a "higher driving position" car again or not.

With a trade in price of roughly £11k on mine, I would look to add £4k or £5k so looking at probably £15-£16k screen price. Alternatively I may be tempted to sell mine to Webuyanycar and pocket some change and get a 3-4 year old car that my local indie would service and any spare parts reqd can come from Ebay or scrappies.

So models that are on the radar and reasons why

Nissan Qashqai - have always liked these, have driven a few and the run out model of the old style came loaded with toys. 1.6 diesel has great reviews but I feel the boot layout isn't a good use of the space.

Honda Civic - although a hatch it has a very clever seat layout that the rear seat bases lift up giving a huge space that the dog would be able to curl up and sleep in. Only issue is that the floor is raised in the middle but I think if I got this it wouldn't take much effort to level it out temporarily for the dog when needed. Rear seats also fold flat conventionally giving a full flat load space. Has a raised boot sill, about 8 inches higher than the boot floor, not sure if that would present an issue for the dog.

Honda Civic tourer - this is lovely, all the attributes of the Civic but low boot sill, has the same clever folding seats and loads of rear space. Also doesn't have the strange split rear window that the hatch has.

Civics have a 1.6 diesel engine that seems to get rave reviews and excellent real life economy.

Ford Focus (hatch or estate) in Titanium X spec has loads of toys, cousin has one and I really like them, a nice car to be in. Would need to look closer at the seating / bootspace arrangements.

Another fastball, albeit I haven't looked at it in any detail, is the Toyota Auris Hybrid - I like the sound of it in principal but would need to read more to see how practical the hybrid side of it is for me! And its auto which has appealed since I hired an auto in USA!

If I was getting a cheaper car, earlier Civics have the 2.2 diesel engine or many have 1.4 petrols but the 1.4s don't seem to have rear sensors or cruise control.

One car that I genuinely have considered is the Seat Ibiza tourer, can get these for £8k and relatively newish and it would tick many boxes but not all (well as far as I can find). And Seat have done a cheap fix whereby they have a relatively cheap radio in it but now have a touch screen thing (like a sat nav sitting on your dash) to do your Bluetooth, music etc. BUt you need to remove this each time or at risk of someone smashing window thinking its a satnav.

When I was young, my dad always had an estate car (there were five kids so 2 usually travelled in the boot) and I still like them for the practicality that they offer (albeit you may rarely use the space)

What I have realised is that there are very few good cars out there if you go by reviews online!

Last edited by: Bobby on Sun 10 Jan 16 at 19:14
 New Car Musings - Bromptonaut
Are you sure the DMF is £1k on top of the clutch if both jobs are done at same time?
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Yip - checked with dealer. Definitely priced on top (although can see some DMFs online for around the £600 mark)
 New Car Musings - sooty123
You sure you want to change ? Not put part of that £4k towards the repairs and deal with a dog/load height when it arrises?
 New Car Musings - Bobby
>>You sure you want to change ? Not put part of that £4k towards the repairs and deal with a dog/load height when it arrises?

If the car was running great then I wouldn't want to change. However now this has happened I am thinking "what next" etc. Of course could buy another car and suffer the same issue.

But as a guy, the thought of a new car appeals and being honest, seeing 35mpg on my car gets me down. Not really a big issue with the fuel cost as it is low just now mind you.

I have never been fully happy with the "ride", it is a big heavy car that has 18 inch wheels but it seems to feel every pothole and uneven surface, almost as if the suspension is so hard that the car can't "glide" over these things.

Love all the toys in the car, the ipod connectivity, heated seats etc - the boot space is a let down, its very high base due to it having a full sized alloy wheel spare underneath it! And when you fold the rear seats they don't get anywhere near flat. But it does have the concertina type cover for the boot meaning its good for carrying dog, don't need to remove a parcel shelf each time!
 New Car Musings - Runfer D'Hills
Think it might be worth double checking that quote. As I understand it the DMF is sort of right next to the clutch.? Puzzled as to why the exchange of both leads to an extra £1000?
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Humph that was the cost for the DMF part alone, (dealer price) don't think it included the fitting.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Interesting to see Legacylads opinion on the Leon tourer - I love the external look of the Leon, my indie mechanic swears by VAG cars and their components (apart from DSG boxes) but the dash area of the Leon is light years difference to say the Civic or Focus. Leon looks very bland and "boring".
>> Think it might be worth double checking that quote.

That was my point. Whether through ignorance or sharp practice it's quite common for garages to try and add together two or three invoicing times or one set of dismantling/re-assembling.

Replacing the top suspension mount on my Berlingo also required a steering link, removed to allow sus turret to come off the car, to be changed due to it's single use fixing nuts. If I'd not challenged they'd have charged two lots of dismantling time...
 New Car Musings - MD
What Bromp says. Most dealers are 'at it' and think we are all know nothings turds. Boy do they get uppity if we dare to show a bit of knowledge. However it's usually that bit of knowledge that makes them think twice before screwing us.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
As a slight tangent, visited a Honda showroom today to see the workings of the seat set up and they had a new HRV in the showroom. Didn't realise Honda had brought out a new version of it, looked quite nice and didn't have 3 front seats!
 New Car Musings - tyrednemotional
>> and didn't have 3 front seats!
>>

...that was the FRV, the old HRV was somewhat more bland.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Oh aye, that's right ! I was getting confused!
 New Car Musings - Lygonos
New Suzuki Vitara starts at 14k for 1.6 petrol (which does 40-50mpg in the real world) and has decent equipment - base model (SZ4) doesn't have rear parking sensors as standard but they are £260 dealer fitted.

Why on earth would you want a diesel for 12k/year?
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 10 Jan 16 at 20:40
 New Car Musings - MD
Why on earth would you want parking sensors?
>> Why on earth would you want parking sensors?

So you don't reverse into the, albeit stupidly parked, BMW lurking in your blindspot?

been there, got t-shirt and lost half my NCD.

The Roomie has parking radar and I'm currently appreciating it.
 New Car Musings - MD
I can reverse park (in a small town high street) the Master van with 10ft trailer plus hitch frame into a space perhaps just eight feet more than the total length.

I appreciate that modern cars with all their safety cells and thick pillars can create blind spots, but come on.
...yeah, but how big was the space before you started reversing.......
 New Car Musings - MD
Ju no. I wundered wot the dents in the trailer wer.
>> I appreciate that modern cars with all their safety cells and thick pillars can create
>> blind spots, but come on.

There's no weight or power penalty for having reversing sensors. Neither do they stop me using my judgement going into a space even if the beep is sounding for changing proximity on the car's corner.

OTOH if I'm closing up tight to a low wall directly behind the beep is worth heeding.
....the latest released version (literally this week I think) of the Vitara interests me quite a lot.

I'm considering moving away from diesel (a habit I have from company car days, and liking the torque characteristics) to petrol. I'm currently running the Kia (Sportage) equivalent of Bobby's car (with slightly better mpg).

The 1.6 petrol Vitara shows all the signs of being a slug, but the new 1.4 turbo petrol "boosterjet" (Oh Lord) has more power and considerably better torque (and good factory consumption figures).

It's slightly smaller than the Sportage (which doesn't worry me) but retains a high seating position, and the option (I think it may be compulsory on the current release) of 4WD.

It is only (in its newly available form) in one (high) spec, but that has most the toys I want, (and few that I don't).

I can see a test-drive being lined up when the local dealer has one.
 New Car Musings - MD
What make of engine powers the new vitara if it is not a Suzuki?
AFAIK it is wholly Suzuki.
>>The 1.6 petrol Vitara shows all the signs of being a slug

I think it has a slightly detuned version of the Swift Sport engine, so I'd expect a mild VTEC effect with fair progress to 4000rpm and brisk progress beyond.

Suzuki are somewhat pessimistic with acceleration figures for the 1.6 Vitara - FWD, 120hp and under 1100kg should be under 10s 0-60. Autocar recorded 9.5s 0-60.

I wouldn't be surprised if they artificially increased the 0-60 they report so as not to make the 4wd variant (which is 100kg heavier) look too sluggish.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/suzuki/vitara/performance

drivethedeal.com are able to supply a new Vitara for £12.7k

Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 10 Jan 16 at 22:17
 New Car Musings - Bobby
>>Why on earth would you want a diesel for 12k/year?

Good question - I like the torque and driving characteristics of a diesel but sense says that I shouldn't for this mileage. My indie mechanic told me to avoid the Ford ecoboost thingies as apparently there are issues with them even though they seem to tick the right boxes.

When I looked at the Civic originally, you needed to be diesel to get the toys but I see that the newer specs have toys on the petrols as well.
 New Car Musings - ....
Caterham or such like with a tow bar for the tourist/bike stuff.

Edit: never seen a black lab on a bike before.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 10 Jan 16 at 20:48
 New Car Musings - WillDeBeest
...replacement clutch and dual mass flywheel ... driving like a nun.

Bad habits!
};---)

Two clutches and DMFs in two low-mileage cars, Bobby? Are you sure it's nothing to do with your left foot - slipping at uphill lights, high gears at low speeds? A modern clutch is a 100,000 mile item. A hybrid, of course, doesn't have one, which may be something to think about.
>>modern clutch is a 100,000 mile item...

Way more than that in fact. I'd have thought anyway. Never had a clutch go wrong, including on cars with double those miles.
True, but other things can go wrong. As I've mentioned here, the Volvo's clutch was wrecked by a fluid leak at eight years and 114,000 miles and the resultant slipping and sliding did for the DMF too. The mechanic who replaced it all said the clutch itself was only about 50 percent worn.

If the leak had happened barely out of warranty on a dealer-serviced car, I'd have been on to the manufacturer to pay for it - if they hadn't already volunteered.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 10 Jan 16 at 22:00
 New Car Musings - Bobby
No, just one clutch and two DMFs.
The DMF in my last car (Altea) was replaced under warranty to fix a fault which then transpired to be a totally unconnected item.
I see - but I had to get the habit joke in somehow.
Space, reliability, toys, good economy, dog friendly, 15 or 16 grand, nice to drive.

Mildly second hand hi-spec Mondeo diesel estate

Was that too predictable ?

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 10 Jan 16 at 22:25
 New Car Musings - legacylad
For that kind of money you could get a 62 or 63 plate C class estate. Nice slush box and high on the waft ability scale.
No wafting with the 220 engine in the C, I'm afraid. Toyota does better sound insulation. But £16,000 is roughly what my E cost me at 3 years; now that can waft.

What would a two-year-old V70 D3 go for?
I didn't know that. I thought all C, E, S & SLs wafted.
I had a short ride in a friends '02 C class two days ago.. Rotten wheel arches, rust all over the bottom of the doors. Simply awful body condition. I think MB upper their game shortly afterwards.
 New Car Musings - Mr Moo
Peugeot 308 SW with the 1.2 Puretch petrol engine and an auto box? Poor rear seat space, but a decent boot, decent kit levels and in budget. Economy and running costs should be OK too. Allure or Feline (!) trim gives good kit.

1.6 Blue HDi diesel also available (but not sure it's worth it at 12k miles pa), but manual only in budget. Auto only recently released.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Like the look of this....... and the colour matches the dog....
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512109356452
Not bad - if you like black. But that one is missing xenon headlamps and a proper leather interior; both worth holding out for and not hard to find.
Bobby, that's more or less identical to mine other than the trim, ( mine is a "sport" ) but if you go for it or similar I would highly recommend it. I've done 150,000 trouble free wafty miles in it.
Further to above, only speaking for myself of course, but based on my own experience, if I was to look to buy an E class privately, I'd probably look for the best spec I could without being too worried about the miles. They take the miles very well. When it's clean ( not often ! ) mine looks unmarked, not a squeak or rattle, still gets very good mpg, handles tightly and the interior shows no signs of wear yet.

Worth searching for one with a full Merc service history, those are covered by a ( I think it's 30 years or something crazy ) breakdown and recovery/free loan vehicle deal in the event of a breakdown.

Servicing is a bit steamy ( +/- £400 a time ) but they are very kind to tyres, up to 50,000 miles wear at either end. The 250 diesels are great, combination of very good economy with plenty of power for any journey not involving a race track. Best auto box I've ever driven too. Always in the right gear and seamless changes but can be overridden manually if you are in the mood.

And you could always offset some of the costs by doing airport runs !
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Would the C Class be allowed Humph or are C Class drivers looked down on from your lofty position?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508136016223 better colour and panoramic roof!

Actually quite like that ..... and 2 years free servicing and 1 year warranty.......
Not in the least Bobby, I'd have a C in a heartbeat if the boot was big enough for my needs. Anyway, it's my selective perception of course but I think Merc drivers are usually not the sort to "look down" on or indeed "look up" to anyone really. They just waft along in automotive serenity, detached from all that angst.

;-)

Edit - that one looks nice Bobby.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 11:21
Me too. If I didn't have my heart set on a 3 Touring I would have a C estate....although it would be a petrol and I have no idea of engine options, apart from the C63. I cannot afford a C63 and even if I could it would most unwise given my advancing years and slowing reactions.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
But would I still be able to wear my Clarks in it or is that pushing things?
Only if you restrict your entries and exits of the vehicle to hours of darkness so that no one can really see them.

;-)
...but what about the smell?

I know I keep saying this but you really have to drive a C to see if you could live with it. The E220 is quiet and wafty, not eager but quick enough when it needs to be. The C220 with the same engine is like a drop forge on a busy day; an awful noise in any car but unforgivable at this price.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 11:34
I suppose he could look for one with a sunroof?
 New Car Musings - mikeyb

>> I know I keep saying this but you really have to drive a C to
>> see if you could live with it. The E220 is quiet and wafty, not eager
>> but quick enough when it needs to be. The C220 with the same engine is
>> like a drop forge on a busy day; an awful noise in any car but
>> unforgivable at this price.
>>

Is it the same engine as Mrs B's Viano? Hers is a 2.1 150bhp unit?
Essentially, yes. 2,148cc, boosted to 170hp in recent 220s, including mine. The noise problem seems to be less to do with the engine than with the installation.
 New Car Musings - mikeyb
>> Essentially, yes. 2,148cc, boosted to 170hp in recent 220s, including mine. The noise problem seems
>> to be less to do with the engine than with the installation.
>>

Ahh, its a very robust unit, but is pretty agricultural in the Viano, considerably from the outside so I guess you would need a fair about of insulation to disguise that.

I wonder if its a tight fit in the C so there is less scope to insulate
A 2.1 inline four shouldn't be that tight a fit in an engine bay that will take a 6.2 V8! More to do with cost engineering, I suspect.
HJ reckons that 4 pot Merc 2.1 is one of the best engines currently available for longevity in use. Some with huge mileages on them.
>> Space, reliability, toys, good economy, dog friendly, 15 or 16 grand, nice to drive.
>>
>> Mildly second hand hi-spec Mondeo diesel estate
>>
>> Was that too predictable ?
>>
>> ;-)

With some trade off for less toys/lots more space a Berlingo/Partner ticks same boxes

:-P
 New Car Musings - Avant
Bobby, add the Skoda Fabia estate to your list. You can get a new one for under £16k with the lively and economical 1.2 TSI 110 bhp engine. It'll use a lot less fuel: even my 2.0 217 bhp petrol Octavia uses less fuel than your diesel Hyundai.

If that's too small, you could get a nearly-new Octavia hatch or estate with the 1.4 TSI engine. With either of them, make sure you get a variable boot floor to avoid the loading lip.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 10 Jan 16 at 23:57
 New Car Musings - R.P.
Roomster ! Hugely practical and not universally loved. I sort of miss mine very occasionally. Thought of a V40 ? Lovely motors.
 New Car Musings - R.P.
In Booby's defence haven't Hyundais got documented clutch problems ?
No idea, but as previously mentioned, to lunch a clutch at 39,000 seems very suspicious to me. Not sure what I'd actually do about it but I'd not be happy.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Indeed I am not happy Humph but when you do some googling and see that Hyundai knocked one claim back on a car with something like 2000 miles on the clock then you realise that they aren't going to cave in!
 New Car Musings - martin aston
The Civic is great as a dog carrier. We've used ours many times. Regarding the magic seats the raised centre of the floor is very low at 2-3"so easily got around. Many reviews say you can also carry bikes in there but I doubt that is true in practice unless you take both wheels off and you would need to protect the seat fabric. The main boot is also big for the class. Overall, with both storage areas in use, its not far short of medium estate capacity. Returning to reviews, be sure you can live with the oft-criticised split rear screen. Its not at all an issue for me as the overall glass area is pretty large and I look through the rear screen not at it. Worth mentioning too that the mirrors allow complete elimination of any three quarters blind spot, best car I've ever had in that respect. The VTEC engine is economical, proven, non-turbo and I like its ability to potter around then lift its skirts when you floor it. The noise is quite nice to me but try it at revs to see if its to your taste as some might find it intrusive. Tyres are sensible size and therefore cheap. Service package including annual/12k oil change was about £550 for four years when buying Honda Approved. The infamous split dash is also something you quickly get used to. Mine has a rear camera but it gets covered in wet conditions so I'd prefer simple sensors. Plastics area bit hard low down but the seat coverings are a lovely thick velour that gives a lot of comfort.
Overall its a bit quirky and Honda have paid the price in low-ish sales as sitting in the showroom or on a brief test drive some of these quirks may seem bigger obstacles than they are in practice. Most owners seem to love them.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Avant, strangely a few weeks ago I had seen a new Fabia estate and had taken a look online at the spec - think it was SE L that was well specced. Wasn't totally enamoured by the look of it, very boxy and typical VAG dash layout.

Snobbish I know, but I couldn't get an Octavia or I would constantly be getting flagged down as every other taxi and private hire here is one. Unless it was a blue vrs of course.......
With a magic wand, and within your budget, what would be on your drive this afternoon?
328 Touring. Auto, metallic mineral grey, oyster red dakota leather, panoramic sunroof, hud, BMW Pro Nav, 18'' wheels, HK stereo, front & rear parking sensors.
I've been looking for the past 6 months for that spec ..... My only compromise would be forgoing the hud.
Wasn't he in Knight Rider?

;-)
**** Hoff
 New Car Musings - Bobby
At this moment in time, a Civic tourer diesel.
And any left over change spent at the Clarks sale..... :)
>> At this moment in time, a Civic tourer diesel.

Should probably get one of those then. If only to to help them bring their average owner age profile down...

;-)
 New Car Musings - Clk Sec
Currently around 78 in my neck of the woods...
Can you get Civics which can do speeds other than 40mph? Maybe variable speed versions are only available if you pay extra?

;-)
I suspect - with only the evidence of my eyes and tastes - that there's an overall VAG policy governing the house styles of the four mainstream marques. Something like this:
  • Audi: plutocratic, aspirational, design-led, especially in the interior;

• VW: solid, conservative, unflashy, quality rather than style inside;

• Seat: flashy, 'youth-oriented' exterior, nothing much inside - 'style over substance';

• Skoda: the inverse of Seat, the substance is there if you don't mind the looks.

I may have imagined some of this but I bet the last part is real. Skoda and VW appeal to similar people, who want something sensible and comfortable that won't scare the neighbours, but VAG doesn't want people who can afford a VW to pay less for a Skoda. So Skoda styling has to be an acquired taste; owners can tell themselves that they bought the car for its inner qualities and capability - as taxi operators do - and 'quite like the way it looks, once you get used to it'. Saab used to operate on a similar 'form follows function' ethos, and I've heard it said that many former Saab buyers have moved to Skoda, perhaps for this reason.

Incidentally, my taxi reference is not intended as a slur; quite the opposite: I have a model that's hugely popular among taxi operators worldwide, and the same virtues of comfort, space and durability (one of my airport drivers has over 400,000 miles on his E220) made a perfectly sound case for having one as a family bus. No one, incidentally, has ever hailed me in the street or asked for a fare to the airport - although I've taken plenty of visiting colleagues to LHR for free!
 New Car Musings - Bobby
WDB I concur with those thoughts re VAG.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Just a little update - I had contacted Hyundai again to see if they would consider contributing to the costs and got this reply:

Good afternoon Mr G

Thank you for your further email. I am very sorry you remain dissatisfied with my earlier response. After contacting John in the Service centre at Arnold Clark John has advised that on inspection of your vehicle he can confirm that the clutch plate and slave cylinder are worn due to fair wear and tear. Your vehicle does have a Dual mass flywheel but until the gearbox is removed, which will be done when the clutch is replaced, it is impossible to confirm if this will need replacing.

John has confirmed that no noise has been detected from the clutch to suggest a replacement Dual mass flywheel is required but this cannot be confirmed until the repair is underway.

As the requirement for a replacement clutch is purely down to fair wear and tear, I am very sorry I cannot accede to your request to contribute to this replacement Mr G

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Services giving me the opportunity to investigate and respond.

So on one hand this is a positive that the DMF might not need replaced but the cynic in me (and possibly you) might think that they would wait till I gave the go ahead for the clutch and then I would get a phone call from them saying the gearbox was out and I need a DMF as well....... Am I just being cynical? I have replied to Hyundai to clarify that if the DMF is needed then would that be covered under warranty. I am guessing the answer is no but just seeking clarification.

I have booked the car in with my own indie mechanic on Thursday and he is going to have a good look at it and drive it and give me his opinion as to :

a. get rid asap
b. clutch is slipping but has lots of life left

And another thing, maybe just my imagination (and my son's as he also heard it) but there seems to be a sort of "droaning" noise coming from somewhere when you are around the 50mph and then accelerate. Could be nothing but it does seem to be from the gearbox area....

>>b.clutch is slipping but has lots of life left

Eh? A slipping clutch is fubarred - keep slipping it and you'll wreck the DMF if it still happens to be ok.
 New Car Musings - No FM2R
....And another thing....

Just how much writing on the wall is it going to take? That car needs to go just as soon as you can get it into a saleable state.

If you manage to part-ex it to the gits who won't repair it, so much the better.

[It should be noted that I haven't actually read all this thread, just the last couple of replies, so if I got the wrong end, sorry.]
 New Car Musings - NortonES2
HJ has suggested that before allowing a garage to change the clutch etc, that the clutch hydraulic slave cylinder be assessed/inspected. "www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=108458

and www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column/2015-09/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column-05-09-2015/
 New Car Musings - Bobby
I should add at this stage the clutch is only slipping in first gear when the car is cold. Just after I leave my house in the morning, I have a hillstart at traffic lights and I feel it slipping there. Do the same later on in the day when the car has heated up, it does it no problem and no sign of slip.

Some googling suggests this can be an issue across a whole load of manufacturers. I trust my indie mechanic implicitly and he has much more experience of these things so I will see what he comes back to me with on Thursday.
Doubt it's the clutch slipping - usually easier for it to slip in higher gears than first.

If it is juddering in 1st and better once rolling it's possibly the DMF rather than the clutch itself.

Might also be crap on the clutch/flywheel surfaces but that usually requires replacement.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 01:03
 New Car Musings - madf
Sounds like condensation on the flywheel when cold. Our 13 year old Yaris has always suffered from it: when warmed up, the slight clutch judder vanishes and it is usually gone on hot dry weather.

No known cure.. so replacing the clutch plate may solve nothing.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
OK my indie had the car yesterday and has confirmed the clutch is on its way out and if I am not repairing it, then should aim to get rid of it quickly. He has no way of knowing if DMF needs done till the whole lot is stripped off but he reckons in excess of 90% of clutch changes he does, the DMF is done at same time.

So defo looks like new car time, just a case of what? and how? . Will have a look round some dealers over weekend and take the dog with me to test entry/exit procedures!!

As far as the Civic is concerned:
- Tourer looks great IMO but wont pay more for it as hatch will do everything I need
- 1.8 petrol seems to be sensible choice but having the Hyundai has made me realise how much "enjoyment / satisfaction" I get from driving stems from the fuel economy display! It has really annoyed me and I feel that if I had an eco diesel then I would probably actually be tempted to do more long distance driving, visiting friends etc and would enjoy the day to day car ownership much more (until a DPF / DMF issue). If I had to get the 1.8 petrol I really fancy the auto but the missus has said no to that even though she rarely drives my car and has never driven an auto!

Civic advertise that they have the biggest boot in its class but I am guessing the figures include the storage under the boot floor. However that is not usable for dog space and also that space was spare wheel space and I would probably want to have at least a space saver in there! However there is no doubt the seat flexibility works well in what they can do.

Now to see what Leon and Focus can do........
 New Car Musings - Bobby
As an aside, looking into all things Honda Civic over last few days I have found out

1. Honda facelifted the Civic about 2012 ish but when they did they accidentally put some gremlins into the system. So you cant scroll through the computer displays to see current / average mpg / miles to go unless you are parked up with handbrake on! They then rectified this later with another tweak but apparently couldn't change the software of this system.

2. The more recent facelift, with the curved LED headlights - they have fitted an android based touch screen system to these cars called Honda Connect. Hondas sales blurb says that you can download apps to it through your phone and it will basically do a lot of what your phone will do. Except there has been no apps issued for it yet and apparently there are shed loads of issues with phone compatibilities etc. So many owners are actually recommending you buy an older car to avoid it!
Would an A3 Sportback fit the bill? The 1.4 TFSI petrol engine gets excellent reviews, and a 2 yo model is just within budget. Decent residuals too.
As an aside, my driving instructor pal has just ordered his third 2.0 Tdi A3. His current A3, 62 plate, has covered 132k miles, and his previous 59 plate (2.0 Tdi) being run by his wife has 230k miles on the clock. That one is being handed down to his son.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Would normally automatically say no to Audi as you get better value for money with the Leon (imo).
Although will need to have a look at this - so I guess a Sportback is a sort of bigger hatchback but not quite an estate or touring?
Sportback is the 5 door. It goes without saying that 'value' does not necessarily mean cheapest. I always take into account long term residuals on a vehicle. A Sportback A3 will always cost more than a 5 door Seat Leon hatch, with the same engine and underpinnings, but putting aside probably higher insurance costs, it will definitely hold its value far better. As to quantifying the 'cost' of a nicer driving ambience, then that is up to the individual.
 New Car Musings - rtj70
Bobby, the Sportback is the 5-door A3. It also has a longer wheelbase than the 3-door so more room in the back. Not that you'd be going for the 3-door. The same difference applies to the Leon 3-door/5-door.

I am still happy with the 1.4TFSI cylinder on demand petrol engine in my A3 saloon. I am also happy with the quality and ergonomics of the interior.

I would imagine a used A3 has already taken a hit in value but is still going to be more than say a Leon of similar age/spec.
 New Car Musings - Auntie Lockbrakes
Can't believe that nobody's trotted out this holier-than-thou piece of advice yet Bobby....

When you trade the Hyundai in, will you disclose that the clutch is dodgy? Or just keep quiet? Not for me (or anyone here) to judge you, just curious!

Is the Auris estate on your shortlist too?
Ever considered the Mitsubishi ASX? (They sell very well in ANZ fwiw)

Good luck!
 New Car Musings - Zero

>> Ever considered the Mitsubishi ASX? (They sell very well in ANZ fwiw)

I told him to get an ASX. He said it was "tacky" you can't help some people.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Is the ASX not the same car as the ix35 and Sportage? Anyway coming away from that size of car now (although I was in a Civic and Leon today and forgot how you need to have a certain technique to get in and out lower cars).

Auris not on the list, I have now pretty much excluded estates and going for a Hatch.

Civic looks great, very futuristic inside, lots of digital displays and has "magic seats" which would help with the flexibility I need.

Leon - used to have an Altea and loved it, Leon is very boring compared to Civic but also feels more spacious as there is less curves and roundings. And I love the look of the Leon in white or red. I like those front LED lights though I know many wont!
 New Car Musings - rtj70
>> I like those front LED lights though I know many won't!

Standard with a technology pack for free on may Leon's. Also come with sat nav and DAB as part of the pack. Should be £999 but they were giving it away when I was choosing a car in 2014 and they probably still are.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
I will struggle with my conscience on the clutch issue until I have either walked away from WBAC or driven away on my new car.......
 New Car Musings - rtj70
Not wanting to put a damper on things, but if it's well known these SUVs need a replacement clutch early on, won't the place you trade it in know this and take it into account?
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Got a price for it today, after me going outside in minus 2 last night with a head torch and a dyson to clear the inside of the car. The Honda dealer also has a Hyundai dealership and they just phoned them for a price - never even looked at my car!!

I know its the old story of trade in price doesn't matter, its the cost to change, but the saleswoman said to me that they couldnt budge on the trade in price but there was room for improvement on the car cost price.

Car is advertised at £17500 reduced to £16500 in the sale.
Offered me £11200 which is pretty much bang on the WBAC price so £5500 to change.

She later emailed me saying that they could do £4700 to change....
Under-rated car.

Resale value might be a little low but discount is high.

When I bought a Shogun through this site I got a decent P/X price from them for my Forester.

www.new-car-discount.com/car/nissan/pulsar/hatchback/petrol/all
 New Car Musings - Auntie Lockbrakes
Sounds like that garage is keen to do a deal with you Bobby. Reckon if you can shave another 200 quid off the cost to change you'll be sitting pretty?

I guess January is a generally a bad time of the year for car sales, to your benefit!
 New Car Musings - Bobby
Think so. As with all these, if you are sitting in front of them with your debit card then that's when you get the last penny out them.
That car is an SR spec and is higher than what was on my "must have" list. Has heated leather seats, sat nav and sunroof all of which I could probably live without though I guess the sunroof would add some light to the cabin that may be dark due to the black leather seats.

Which of course means that in theory I should be able to get the version of Civic that I want for less money again. But when buying used, everything isn't always logical!
If you can get them to throw in a travelling rug and a bag of Werthers you should probably go for it.
>>I really fancy the auto but the missus has said no to that even though she rarely drives my car and has never driven an auto!

Really? I've never felt the need to seek my wife's permission to buy the car I want. Just wouldn't occur to me in truth. No more than I would seek to give her any advice on what sort of iron or washing powder or cushions she should buy.

( she does buy a lot of cushions, what is it with cushions? )

;-)
 New Car Musings - Avant
Two of them are tied round her Qashqai door mirrors....
 New Car Musings - Zero

>> ( she does buy a lot of cushions, what is it with cushions? )

Clearly then she needs a Citroen Cactus
Bad idea, she'd want to change those pad things on the doors every few weeks.
 New Car Musings - Bobby
And 27 months into my ownership of a 4WD, I finally got to drive it on snow today. Of course having a dodgy clutch meant that I could just drive home and not actually go and try climbing hills or do donuts.

Someone up there is looking down on me and wetting themselves with laughter!!!
Sooooo, Bobby, have you signed anything yet? We are all itching to know ( mainly so we can tell you you've made an ever so slightly bad decision, you know how it is, ) but given that caveat, is there anything looking close?

There was one day and about 100 yards during the 80,000 miles I drove in my 4x4 Qashqai when the extra traction was useful. There are those who will tell you that a modern RWD car is "undriveable" in snow. Here's a wee tip, ( I'll whisper this ) they're not.

;-)

New Car Musings - Zero

>> my 4x4 Qashqai when the extra traction was useful. There are those who will tell
>> you that a modern RWD car is "undriveable" in snow. Here's a wee tip, (
>> I'll whisper this ) they're not.

You "pants on the outside" superhero you.
 New Car Musings - Clk Sec
>>There are those who will tell you that a modern RWD car is "undriveable" in snow. Here's a wee tip, ( I'll whisper this ) they're not.
>> ;-)

...as long as you have a dozen breeze blocks in the boot.
;)
....I think some of the worst conditions I've driven in were in a RWD Chevette (spit!), going to Watendlath in the Lake District for New year, in deep, deep snow.

...I did have a full barrel of beer in the back, though.....

(it evokes shades of St Bernards)

On another session I went over Kirkstone Pass in a convoy of three cars (I was in a friends Chrysler Sunbeam, so not driving) when it was closed.

...they actually put the barriers up just after we set off, and we had to remove the ones at the other end when we arrived, in order to exit.

Happy Days!
Kirkstone Pass is open ... I wonder if it was closed last night? The webcam shows a few cars on the road. I passed by a few weeks ago whilst on a circular walk from Troutbeck. NE toward High St, W to Thornthwaite Beacon, Stony Cove Pike, K Pass, then follow path down to Ambleside on E side of the 'Struggle' then Robin Lane back to Troutbeck Bridge parking area.
One of my favourite LD walks, mostly away from the madding crowds.
...I've had cracking winter walks up there. On memorable one involved staying with a friend at Bowness, then driving (somewhat gingerly) up to the top of the pass and parking next to the pub.

Route as above to High Street, then down to Hartsop. Deep, deep snow all the way, and absolutely brass monkeys. (I've done a lot of winter walking, and this is one of only two days in the UK I remember having a duvet jacket on all day - the other was a February visit to Glencoe).

Plan was to walk back up the road to the car, but that side of Kirkstone was one long sheet of black ice, top to bottom, with nary a vehicle in sight all day. We ended up "paralleling" much of the road to the top, at which point the warmth of the pub (not my favourite) rather beckoned.

Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sun 17 Jan 16 at 10:12
 New Car Musings - Roger.

>> ( she does buy a lot of cushions, what is it with cushions? )
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Farting is a man thing; cushions are a girly thing.
Latest Forum Posts