Motoring Discussion > Choose me a meeting point Dover - London Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 15

Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - hawkeye
Late in August I will be bringing the family + nephew back from France in car + caravan.

Nephew's Mum will be in central London and I will be heading west to the M25 then north from Dover.

Suggestions for somewhere to meet to hand over nephew ?

I wondered about Medway services but Google doesn't show a bridge across given that I will be travelling west and s-i-l will be travelling to meet me. Or am I completely on the wrong track and we should go for South Mimms? What are your thoughts ?

TIA
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - Zero
Check the tide tables, throw him off the QE2 bridge and let him drift in up the Thames.

Which way round the M25 you going? if A/C over the crossing then exchange hostage at lakeside services.
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - Iffy
farthing Corner services on the M2 has always been a popular meeting point.

It's between junction 4 and 5, so might be a bit too far from London for your purpose.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 10:21
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - jc2
Not a meeting point but I would suggest that you use the M20 rather than the M2;much better road,three lanes most of the way and much less traffic.Service area off the motorway at Maidstone-one area accessible from both sides.
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - jc2
Maidstone Services are at Junction 8 on the M20 IIRC.It is possible to use the A2 as far as Bluebell Hill and then use the A229 to change to the M20(saves a couple of miles.)
>> Check the tide tables, throw him off the QE2 bridge and let him drift in
>> up the Thames.
>>

Thanks for the kindly thought Mr 0. If he's going to be that much trouble, I'll have opportunities to test his swimming skills on the Seine or the Channel.

>> Which way round the M25 you going? if A/C over the crossing then exchange hostage
>> at lakeside services.
>>

Anticlockwise.
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - Mapmaker
Upminster station is perfect if public transport is in order. I've used it several times for this purpose. Train from Fenchurch St is half an hour; the tube (District Line) is an hour.

Alternatively, if it's the right time of day, save the Dartford charge, and head through Blackwall. In which case Tecos at Bromley by Bow is by a tube station.
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - -
Using M20 instead, and take note of this place all, a lovely cafe with outside seating as well.

Nearest points are Lympne airport and Folkstone racecourse.

Come of M20 at jct 11, and turn South for a few hundred yards to roundabout, fork right onto A20 towards Ashford, carry on for about 2 miles and cafe comes up on right just before the left turn B2067.
If you check it out on google maps satellite view the cafe has a green roof...i don't know how to link to the street view.

This is well worth using instead of rip off services for anyone heading tunnell/ports.

Keep it a secret among us lot, don't want the great unwashed coachloads turning up there.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.090838,1.01513&spn=0.001624,0.005493&t=h&z=18
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - crocks
>>i don't know how to link to the street view.

Go to Streetview you want.
Click on "Link" top,right of view.
'Tiny' if you want to.
Hope you get it right.

tinyurl.com/airport-cafe

Looks very nice. I promise not to tell anyone. ;-)
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - Perky Penguin
Mapmaker - if one was trying to drive to the London area and go on in by train, is there free parking near Upmister station, please?
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - -
I really should read the OP, sorry H, completely missed the fact someone will be travelling out from Central London.

In that case then M11/M25 would be an easy journey for the London dweller, large McDonalds about half mile from M11 jct 7.
Leave motorway, take B1393 for Epping, McDonalds almost immediately on the left.

Edit, tinyurl didn't work and the original link must be a record for length.

Thanks Crocks....;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 19:54
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - henry k
>> Late in August I will be bringing the family + nephew back from France in
>> car + caravan.
>>
>> Nephew's Mum will be in central London and I will be heading west to the
>> M25 then north from Dover.
>>
>> Suggestions for somewhere to meet to hand over nephew ?
>>
I am sure there will be lots of good suggestions BUT a few questions first.

The big one. Must Mum meet ofspring at the earliest reasonably possible time.
I assume not else meet at Dover :-)
If an early meet is a must, probably the M25 Reigate area.

Is mum travelling by car or is a train an option?
If train maybe meet at Redhill.
If tube maybe Heathrow T5 area.

If not desperate for repatriation.
If by car consider her quickest route out of town. M4 to Heathrow ?

Obvious a meeting place further into your journey makes the time of meeting more vague.

IMO meeting at Reigate or Heathrow causes you the least diversion off your route

Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - Zero
Isnt he he going A/C from the M2/M25 junc?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 21:02
Thank you all for your constructive and helpful suggestions. I will leave the final choice of nephew ejection point to Mrs H's lovely sister. Did I just write "lovely" ? Must be either a private fantasy or the wine ...
 Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - Iffy
...Mrs H's lovely sister...

I thought there was quite a bit of trouble being taken over this young lad, now all is clear, even if it did take half a bottle of Rioja to make it so.

10/10 for honesty and dream on.

Choose me a meeting point Dover - London - Mapmaker
OH dear, did you get the wrong one?!

PP, no idea, sorry. I suggest a visit to Google Streetview which is superb for looking at on-street parking restrictions. There is a station carpark at Upminster, but it's not going to be a bargain...

Latest Forum Posts