Motoring Discussion > Glue for car badges? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: metal Replies: 17

Glue for car badges? - metal
hi,

Any recommendations on what glue to use to stick car badges onto a car. I will be replacing the bonnet and bootlid badge plus the 4 alloy wheel badges. I will also be replacing the steering wheel badge.

The glue obviously needs to be strong, long lasting , weather resistant etc.

Any suggestions?
 Glue for car badges? - WillDeBeest
Is it a Vauxhall, Metal? I ask because I see a lot of Astras where the owner has got the Vauxhall badges off but has clearly failed to find the right adhesive to secure the VW ones he hopes will fool the neighbours. Must be special, secret stuff, so when you find out you can do them all a favour.
};---)
 Glue for car badges? - Cliff Pope
>> find the
>> right adhesive to secure the VW ones he hopes will fool the neighbours.

VW badges can detect when they are being looked at on the wrong car, and reduce the adhesion setting.
 Glue for car badges? - VxFan
>> but has clearly failed to find the right adhesive to secure the VW ones

The trick is to first clean off the emissions soot from the badge before trying to stick it to anything.
 Glue for car badges? - Manatee
Something like this?

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CO89CE6
 Glue for car badges? - Dog
>>The glue obviously needs to be strong, long lasting , weather resistant etc.

>>Any suggestions?

Harold Dite.
 Glue for car badges? - VxFan
The proper stuff the manufacturers use is something like this.

3Mâ„¢ Die-Cuttable Tape Series DC2000. Comes in different thicknesses.

tinyurl.com/gqd2k8g

tinyurl.com/hftbmpe

- solutions.3m.com
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 14 Jan 16 at 01:52
 Glue for car badges? - Old Navy
I have a roll of 3M double sided tape, the packaging describes it as permanent, waterproof, and extra strong. It held a number plate on for five years and also a satnav mount and garage door remote. Bought when LIDL were having a DIY special offer.
 Glue for car badges? - Ted

I stuck the rear chrome 'Javelin ' script on the back wing with double sided automotive tape. Like the red stuff above but green. Bought at classic car shows.

My mate cut me two badges out of brass sheet using the pattern of the old Mazak one, which was pitted. I had them chromed but they had no mounting lugs to go through the wing. It's been on for over 20 yrs now and would be very hard to move if any young scrote tried to nick it.

Interesting point arises........what if you re-badged your car as something else. Could the babylon 'have' you for it...even if it weren't for something nefarious ? Re-badge a Micra as a Maserati for a bit of fun ? ....pass it off to yer mates as Maserati's new town car !
 Glue for car badges? - Runfer D'Hills
I knew a guy who had a mk1 750cc Panda which had prior to him buying it had chrome "V8" and "Turbo" badges added to the boot lid.

He left them on, claiming irony but we were never quite sure.
 Glue for car badges? - Dave_
In 1990 my Allegro 1.1 sported a Halfords "Turbo" badge... until my Dad told me to take it off :(
Last edited by: Dave_ on Thu 14 Jan 16 at 18:01
 Glue for car badges? - Runfer D'Hills
Is your surname "Pike" by any chance?

;-)
 Glue for car badges? - No FM2R
>>Could the babylon 'have' you for it.

I am sure that this is my failing for not being "down wiv de kidz", but 'babylon'?
 Glue for car badges? - Robin O'Reliant
Silicone sealant is great for most gluing jobs.
 Glue for car badges? - rtj70
>> but 'babylon'?

Are you asking what Babylon refers to in this context? I'd never heard of it before a police drama of the same name.

From Wikipedia:

Jamaican, establishment systems, often applied to the police. Also used in Black English outside of Jamaica .[1] Derived from the Rastafari movement which, in turn, relies upon a Babylon (New Testament) interpretation symbolising debauchery, corruption and evil-doing in general. The term was used as the title of the 2014 British police drama Babylon.
 Glue for car badges? - Ted

Just beat me to it Rob. We'll teach him some of our Manchester urban slang yet.

Also ' The Dibble '....after Officer Dibble in Top Cat.
 Glue for car badges? - bathtub tom
>>Interesting point arises........what if you re-badged your car as something else. Could the babylon 'have' you for it...even if it weren't for something nefarious ?

Had a Fiat 850. All RHD versions were made by SEAT, but badged as Fiat (except for identification plate in the engine bay). Mine had the front chrome embellishment missing, so on holiday in Spain I got a replacement from a scrapyard, complete with SEAT badge.

SWMBO drove it into a car that pulled out of a side road. The driver was most irate, as it said SEAT at the front and Fiat at the back.

Also know a guy who got hold of some Holden badging from rellies in Australia for his Corsa just to confuse folk.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 12:01
 Glue for car badges? - Old Navy
I don't think the plods would mind at all, the car they are trying to find is easier to identify if it has unique badging.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 15:20
Latest Forum Posts