Motoring Discussion > Blue Badge abuse Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 20

Blue Badge abuse - legacylad
I know this has been covered before, but it is one of my pet hates. My Uncle, now deceased, suffered from emphysema and had one. My 97 yo Aunt has one. alternate weeks I take her to my local Asda, my bruv other weeks. Every single time someone uses disabled spaces without a badge and nothing gets done about it. Fortunately for her, if no space available, I drop her off, bring a trolley to the car, which she uses as a wheeled zimmer, then I park elsewhere. I suppose I could do this every time, but it involves faffing with car moving, loading up lots of shopping for myself, my aunt & my mother, and after all I am using a legitimate badge for two oldies.
People of all ages hop out of their cars, dash into Asda, dash to the three outside cash points, with seemingly no thought that they are incorrectly using a disabled space. Both my brother and I have mentioned it to the 'trolley collectors' and the security people just inside the store but nothing is ever done about it. Sometimes I confront the people and just get a mouthful of bad language.
I can be quite vindictive and if I felt I could get away with running a short flat head driver down the cars flank I would. My other hope is that karma catches up these these ignoramus.
 Blue Badge abuse - zippy
In some parts of the USA it is illegal to park in disabled bays if not authorised to do so, even if the spaces are on private property. The fines were $50 I seem to remember.

Similar should be introduced here.
 Blue Badge abuse - NortonES2
$500 in some states! Only just. Would love to see the local Porsche drivers get their comeuppance when they park in the disabled bays. Yes, they might be valid users, but odds are greatly against that!
 Blue Badge abuse - legacylad
I see a fair number of Blue Badge holders driving SUVs such as Shoguns, Discoveries etc. I'm not a doctor but neither of my family oldies could get into such a vehicle, and you need a fair bit of agility to step up into one. And my old mum has been turned down for a BB, despite serious medical issues. I won't bore you with her health issues, but some ting ain't right.
 Blue Badge abuse - Bromptonaut
>> I see a fair number of Blue Badge holders driving SUVs such as Shoguns, Discoveries
>> etc. I'm not a doctor but neither of my family oldies could get into such
>> a vehicle, and you need a fair bit of agility to step up into one.

I guess it depends on nature of disability. My mother, who uses a frame, cannot get into an ordinary Berlingo so would certainly not manage anything taller. OTOH taller people with other forms of incapacity may be able to.
Some SUV types are good for being fitted with side lift equipment for people who are profoundly disabled (eg brain injury) and who have a designated driver for their motability car.
 Blue Badge abuse - No FM2R
We have to deal wiht an elderly, and slight, relative with very limited mobility.

It is easier to lift her up into the Landcruiser and then lift her back out then it is to lower her in to the Korean thing and then have to haul her back up out.

If you see what I mean.

There's not much you can do about Blue Badge abusers. If they were the type of person able to listen to reason, then they wouldn't be the type of person to do it in the first place.

You'll certainly never convince them that they are inconsiderate, rude, selfish and stupid, despite all the evidence.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 14:55
 Blue Badge abuse - Pat
Not all disabilities are visible and some would have no bearing on the type of vehicle either.

Pat
 Blue Badge abuse - Bill Payer
>> ... I take her to my local Asda, my bruv other weeks. Every
>> single time someone uses disabled spaces without a badge and nothing gets done about >> it.

I'm surprised nothing is said - I called in at an Asda on the outskirts of Liverpool and in complete error parked in a Parent and Child space. I thought the sign applied to the other side of the row and the space didn't appear any larger than normal.

I was immediately surrounded by a posse consisting of members of the public and the trolley boy and was lucky to escape with my life!
 Blue Badge abuse - Focal Point
In some cases it's clear that drivers of Chelsea tractors can't be bothered to get their vehicle into a "normal" parking space and still be able to open the door.
 Blue Badge abuse - TheManWithNoName
Why not try parking behind one whilst your passengers go shopping. Stay sitting in your car until the muppet returns to their car and then you can inconvenience them for 15 minutes.
 Blue Badge abuse - Zero

>> I called in at an Asda on the outskirts
>> of Liverpool
>> I was immediately surrounded by a posse consisting of members of the public and the
>> trolley boy and was lucky to escape with my life!

They were after the wheels and tyres
 Blue Badge abuse - Armel Coussine
I am an old Londoner with a brisk attitude to traffic restrictions. I use pavements, entrances, double yellow lines and all the rest as convenient brief stopping places. If it's an outrageous place I put the flashers on if I get out of the car, and don't stay away for long.

The automobile is intrinsically 'selfish', that's what it's for: to save the owner inconvenience and never mind anyone else.

However you have to be quite stupid or thuggish to really get in the way. Naturally I do my best not to (just like most other people I guess). Real inconsiderate automotive halfwits are quite rare, but more often men than women.

I seem to remember borrowing a blue badge from someone I was visiting once, for half an hour or so. Got away with it if memory serves me well.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 15:36
 Blue Badge abuse - Dog
>>I seem to remember borrowing a blue badge from someone I was visiting once, for half an hour or so. Got away with it if memory serves me well.

I had a yellow Doctor-on-Call card attached to my windscreen which I used in my MGB & 240Z back in the 70's/80's until a copper from Lambeth nick lifted it when they searched my car while I was undergoing questioning.

Pity really, because I could park anywhere with that card.
 Blue Badge abuse - Dieselboy
Hahahahaha. Very funny Mr Zero.
Last edited by: Dieselboy on Fri 15 Jan 16 at 15:43
 Blue Badge abuse - Rudedog
I have no problem with BB holders parking near shop entrances, I do raise an eyebrow when they then kick up a fuss insisting on FREE parking especially looking at some of their expense cars, as someone told me;

'They may be physically disabled but not financially disabled'.

Blue Badge abuse - Old Navy
I believe that there is now a maximum list price of £25,000 for Motability lease cars.
 Blue Badge abuse - MD
It won't be an Invacar "Cripple Carriage" then.
 Blue Badge abuse - Bromptonaut
>> I believe that there is now a maximum list price of £25,000 for Motability lease
>> cars.

I know why (campaign in populist press) but where is gain to exchequer or any other public good achieved?
 Blue Badge abuse - Zero
>> I have no problem with BB holders parking near shop entrances, I do raise an
>> eyebrow when they then kick up a fuss insisting on FREE parking especially looking at
>> some of their expense cars, as someone told me;
>>
>> 'They may be physically disabled but not financially disabled'.

Indeed, nor should they be allowed to cause an obstruction for others, many think the blue badge gives them carte blanche to park where they want.
 Blue Badge abuse - Crankcase
Lol, as they say. That's just delicious.
 Blue Badge abuse - CGNorwich
many think the blue badge gives them carte blanche to park where they want.
>>

Well it gives them carte bleue.
Latest Forum Posts