Motoring Discussion > Number plate transfers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 4

Number plate transfers - Bobby
Has anyone transferred a "personal" number from one car to another lately? If so what is the current process?

When I got mine I had to queue at local DVLA office etc but we bought my dad one for his xmas and putting it on car was as simple as completing an online form with the V5 and reg plate docs in hand and it processes instantly and you can put the plate on there and then.

If I am trading my car in at some point soon I am wondering whether to apply to put original plate back on (just now) or whether there is a process to physically transfer from existing vehicle to a new vehicle that I am buying (and thus not have to wait for a V5 to come back in the original reg for my current vehicle)

Of course if I am going down the WBAC route then I will need to get original plate back on car first.
 Number plate transfers - legacylad
Interesting. I shall be doing the same when I return from Spain in late March or April.
 Number plate transfers - Falkirk Bairn
Eldest son sold his car to WBAC & bought new one including transfer of plate.

Transferred plate on internet on a Monday, and new car picked up on Friday ( having ordered the car 2 months before) & sold the old car to WBAC on the Thursday.

WBAC charge £75 admin fee, took money £65 off for stone chips, dropped the price by £100 as the quote was 5 weeks previously a bit of a "disappointment" as the old car was the same mileage as it had been 5 weeks earlier!
 Number plate transfers - Bobby
I assume he didn't therefore at that point have a new V5 for his old car with the original plate back on it?
 Number plate transfers - Falkirk Bairn
He had the V5 when he sold his Lexus to WBAC on the Thursday - close call it arrived Thursday am!

Drove the car to WBAC (2 miles) on his old plates with the new plates on the dashboard & back window.

Got home and phoned insurer to say his new car details. The new car garage had registered the new car on the Tuesday, but dated for the Friday, to his personal number.
Latest Forum Posts