Motoring Discussion > M40 brainwashed. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 13

M40 brainwashed. - Old Navy
I regularly use the M74 and have noticed a particular situation when travelling north, but rarely south.

Most drivers use lane one, overtaking in lane two, travelling at about an indicated 75/80.
Occasionally you will get a "flier" in lane 3 who stands out like a sore thumb, and is sometimes seen a few miles up the road having a discussion with the driver of a police car which is lit up like Blackpool.

These cars usually have "down south" registrations, easily spotted, all Scottish reg's start with an "S". (I realise they may be local lease cars sourced from south). Don't they realise that in light traffic they are a gift to the police?

I think it doesn't happen as often going south as they have been de-stressed in Scotland. :-)

M40 indoctrinated, where a higher proportion are "lane 3 fliers" ?
 M40 brainwashed. - Zero
A mimsers point of view I think.
 M40 brainwashed. - WillDeBeest
Sorry, ON, but I don't follow your argument. Is it you or the 'fliers' who have been 'indoctrinated'?

My memory of the M40 (70 miles of it six times a week for three years) is that there were very few 'fliers', and those there were were pretty conspicuous too, if only because they'd found a rare gap for their elderly M3 among the nose-to-tail crocodile of black Audis in lane 3.

That said, it was an altogether nicer drive than the Slough stretch of M4 that now takes me home. No room on that for anyone to come near V1.
Just a obsevation of people operating "off their patch", try London driving tactics in Glasgow you would be lucky to get out alive!
 M40 brainwashed. - Zero
>> Just a obsevation of people operating "off their patch", try London driving tactics in Glasgow
>> you would be lucky to get out alive!

Have and did, no problem.
>> Have and did, no problem.
>>

With your car they were probably helpless with laughter. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 26 Jul 10 at 13:46
 M40 brainwashed. - Zero
It was a hired c'e'e'd actually
 M40 brainwashed. - helicopter
On the M40 once a couple of years back on a Sunday evening and at somewhere near Warwick when I approached the junction at 70 mph , down the slip road came a dozen or so Met Police motorbikes well out of their local stamping ground who disappeared rapidly towards London in the third lane as though I was standing still.

Must have been doing well over the ton ... no blues and twos though.

I have no idea what they were doing or where they were off to but felt aggrieved that they should get away with such driving if not on a shout .

Can you imagine the conversation with local unmarked traffic plod if you or I had been doing the same.....

M40 brainwashed. - Bellboy
i wonder if they conceed to the constabulary
>> Can you imagine the conversation with local unmarked traffic plod if you or I had
>> been doing the same.....
>>
>>
The fastest I have travelled on UK roads was in the back of a traffic car returning to base late for end of shift. Way over 100mph and not on a motorway.
 M40 brainwashed. - Armel Coussine
>> Way over 100mph and not on a motorway.

They used to go faster than that through Brixton on the way to collect the kebabs late at night. They used their blues for that though. We minicabbers used to keep up, but we didn't have the advantage of blues...
 M40 brainwashed. - Dave_
AC -

I drove out of East London one night up the A12 Green Man road, about 4am, as an out-of-area driver. I was following a Cavalier with a minicab aerial, he was doing 90-100mph most of the time and only slowing down to 50 for some of the cameras... I stuck with him all the way and we didn't set one of them off.

Another night, same time, same road, I was passed at high speed by two Flying Squad 5-series - they switched on their blue lights for a couple of seconds during which they set off the speed camera they were driving past, then repeated the exercise 3/4 mile further down the road.
 M40 brainwashed. - Fursty Ferret
Nice change up there, isn't it? Way too many people seem to get away with doing way in excess of a ton on UK roads, and clearly Scotland actually has some police around to catch them. Though it wouldn't bother me to have hidden speed cameras on the motorway network anyway, unlike in a 30 limit it's quite difficult to drift over 100mph on the motorway...
>> Nice change up there, isn't it?>>

Maybe thats what catches them out, they don't realise that we actually have traffic police on the road.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 27 Jul 10 at 13:25
Latest Forum Posts