Motoring Discussion > Old Car Musings. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 28

Old Car Musings. - Zero
MOT on Monday, so this week I got BC round to fit two more tyres on the rear that wouldn't pass muster. Yesterday in the bright sunshine I did my pre MOT check, and move the two new tyres from the rear to the front, checking the brakes as I go.

Hmm inside front pads look a bit thin, will they pass? dunno, so toddle off to ECP to get some pads, - they now have Brembo pads for my car, two quid dearer than my normal Pagid pads, so I opt for the Brembos. Then I mowed the lawn, and it was getting dark, so I played with my new OBD reader. Do the pads tomorrow.

This morning I woke up to SNOW, all over the car and drive. RUGGER!

Hmm, do I want to get out there in the snow to change pads, or will they pass as is?

Hmmm coffee, ponder, toast and marmalade, ponder, Ok its not that cold lets do it.

30 mins later, snow cleared, plastic sheet down, first set pads out. Worn but legal, about 6k miles in them i reckon, put the new ones in, noting the Brembo pads fit much better, no need to rub a file over the backing plate slider lugs to get them to fit as I do with the Pagids.

30 minutes later, I have the second set of pads out. ARGHHHHHHH about .5mm left on the inside pad, I reckon it had about 500 left on it before the disk was in grinding mode, sure fire MOT failure.

End of musings.
 Old Car Musings. - Dog
Never heard of Brembo before, but they used to supply BMW, Chrysler, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, and Porsche with brakes so one must ass-ume they are okay.
 Old Car Musings. - Robin O'Reliant
Brembo are a common fitment on motorcycles.
 Old Car Musings. - Bromptonaut
>> Brembo are a common fitment on motorcycles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brembo
 Old Car Musings. - mikeyb
I used to deal with a company in the US that made carbon (for brakes)

I dealt with them for aerospace applications but I remember they used to supply Brembo for F1 cars
 Old Car Musings. - Lygonos
Had Brembo pads and discs on my old 300ZX as aftermarket parts, and also on my current Forester Turbo.

As Z mentions - they always seem to fit perfectly (once you brush the crap off the caliper of course).

Would generally seek Brembo before Bosch when I need replacements.
 Old Car Musings. - VxFan
>> Never heard of Brembo before

Really? You quite often see the souped up cars have the name Brembo painted on their brake callipers.
 Old Car Musings. - R.P.
Standard kit on the GS. Very well respected in the biking world.
 Old Car Musings. - Harleyman
>> Standard kit on the GS. Very well respected in the biking world.
>>

Yep. Got 'em on my recently-acquired R80RT, twin disc set-up with cast iron discs; common conversion on Harleys too.
 Old Car Musings. - legacylad
Presumably you are talking bike? A friend of mine has a gift shop and I was talking to a customer on Saturday.... He has a BMW trike for sale. Custom made jobby. Available to view on www.internationalmarketingagency.co.uk
Sorry no link...
 Old Car Musings. - R.P.
Trike...! Not old enough yet ....I'll have a look though.
 Old Car Musings. - Dog
>>You quite often see the souped up cars have the name Brembo painted on their brake callipers

I've seen plenty of cars down here in the summer months with bimbo's in them, usually from 'up country'.
 Old Car Musings. - tyrednemotional
....I understand you paint them red and then send them back....
 Old Car Musings. - Zero
>> ....I understand you paint them red and then send them back....

the bimbos?
 Old Car Musings. - Dog
They've even got bimbo's in Namibia nowadays: www.bimbos.co.za/store-locator/
 Old Car Musings. - tyrednemotional
....ever seen the bimbos coming back from sunny Cornwall.....?

tinyurl.com/cornwallbimbo
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sun 17 Jan 16 at 22:34
 Old Car Musings. - Zero
And its a .....

PASS

With an advisory about slight play in the steering rack.
 Old Car Musings. - Runfer D'Hills
Soldiers on that car doesn't it.
 Old Car Musings. - Zero
seems to - you change its oil regularly, put tyres on it, and pads in it, and it just keeps on going. I might even treat it to a new cam belt.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Jan 16 at 11:52
 Old Car Musings. - Cliff Pope
>> Soldiers on that car doesn't it.
>>

Make? Age ? Mileage?
 Old Car Musings. - Zero
lancer early 2007 136k
 Old Car Musings. - Dog
>>lancer early 2007 136k

Twice the mileage of my 07 Sub.
 Old Car Musings. - Cliff Pope
>> lancer early 2007 136k
>>

So only just run in, and already running out?

:)
 Old Car Musings. - MD
'im or the car?
 Old Car Musings. - ....
>> With an advisory about slight play in the steering rack.
>>
That looks like a justification for some man maths.
Are there any XF shooting brakes being advertised at it'd be rude not to prIces?
Yeah, and the Lancer needs a cambelt too...

Pretty much a no brainer really.

Plus, we haven't had the opportunity to tell him he's bought the wrong car for years now.
 Old Car Musings. - Alanovich
You can still get really cheap lease deals on those Sitchrun C4 Cactuseseses you know, Zedder.
The way his wife parks the Fiesta that might not be a bad shout with all that padding etc.
Having said that, it'd be cheaper just to glue some sheets of bubble wrap to the Lancer.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 19 Jan 16 at 15:51
 Old Car Musings. - Boxsterboy
Yes, steering rack + cambelt = time for the knackers yard for your Mitsubishi Colt and its Lancer.
Latest Forum Posts