Motoring Discussion > 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 42

9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - VxFan
...including Bristol City Council and police vehicles.

Tests carried out at locations at Midland Road in the city centre; Redland Road in Redland; Pennywell Road in Easton and Romney Avenue in Lockleaze showed motorists were all going an average of 26mph or over.

In just an hour of testing; it captured cars travelling up to 44mph with council vehicles topping 29mph and a police car without its blue lights on going at 27mph.

Hugh Bladon, from campaigning group the Alliance of British Drivers, said the failure of so many to stick to the limit showed how absurd the scheme was.

"Quite frankly there is no point in 20mph speed limits where drivers can do more because it turns out to be a waste of time and money implementing it," he said."

"20mph is just desperately slow unless there is a particularly good reason for it - the road is not a good one or a school is nearby for example."

www.bristolpost.co.uk/10-Bristol-drivers-breaking-20mph-limit-including/story-28555295-detail/story.html

THE RESULTS

Pennywell Road, Easton, BS5 0TT

NUMBER OF VEHICLES TESTED: 77

NUMBER OVER SPEED LIMIT: 75 (97.5 per cent)

-----

Redland

NUMBER OF VEHICLES TESTED: 107

NUMBER OVER SPEED LIMIT: 98 (91.5 per cent)

-----

Romney Avenue, Lockleaze

NUMBER OF VEHICLES TESTED: 72

NUMBER OVER SPEED LIMIT: 67 (93 per cent)

-----

City Centre, BS2 0JT

NUMBER OF VEHICLES TESTED: 88

NUMBER OVER SPEED LIMIT: 80 (91 per cent)

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 13:53
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Crankcase
When Cambridge "went twenty" in many places, I predicted on this forum it would be widely ignored. After a few well publicised "nicks" locally when the police were briefly interested in this, I got into the habit of setting up the cruise to an indicated 24, so reckon that's good enough.

I can report I've observed very many long queues of people also doing the same speed, albeit only in reflected form.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Armel Coussine
20mph limits are the work of the devil, working through idiotic grasping local authority wonks.

Everyone in this country, or nearly, knows how to drive in urban areas, when to go really slowly and when a 35mph amble is OK. A blanket 20 limit is just another pointless, annoying distraction, probably more dangerous than no posted limit, the usual 30.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - No FM2R
When I was young driving rubbish cars - which most cars were - more than 20mph was pretty much never achievable down a small residential road anyway. Ditto more than 50mph on a country road.

So we were fine with 30 & 60 limits respectively. Now that cars can quite happily double either of those limits, stronger limits were and will remain inevitable.

The fact that cars handle and brake better is large lost in the wealth of evidence that people drive much worse.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 14:35
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - madf
"Twenty is Plenty" is the slogan produced and used by people describing their own IQ.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Runfer D'Hills
Depends on the circs really. I voluntarily slow right down to probably less than 20 if, for example, I'm passing a primary school at chucking out time or see a dog running loose on the pavement or...

Well, you see what I mean?
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - RattleandSmoke
Many roads now have this in my area. It is a stupid waste of money as a lot of sections of the road were 20mph anyway. Now we have a situation where there is 20 signs all the over the place. I sometimes ignore them depending on traffic conditions etc however it has slowed me down a bit. Where I may have once done an indicated 32mph (about 30) if the road was empty I may now do about 24mph.

It has slowed me down a little but I am not doing 20mph every where.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Cliff Pope
They don't expect any speed limit to "work" in the sense that everyone obeys it literally. The intention can only be to slow people down a bit, to "twenty-something". So if it achieves that, then it is working.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Old Navy
Edinburgh is about to 20mph most of the area within the bypass. I would put money on it being enforced with lots of cameras.

www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20243/20mph_for_edinburgh/1240/map_of_proposed_20mph_streets
I take my hat off to anyone who can get up to 20 mph in Edinburgh most of the time these days!

One of the first speed cameras I think I ever saw was in Edinburgh. Just past the zoo on the way into town.

We used to cycle side by side as fast as we could to try to set it off and wave a Churchillian salute at it behind us as it flashed.

I'm not proud of it.

;-)
>> One of the first speed cameras I think I ever saw was in Edinburgh. Just
>> past the zoo on the way into town.

It's still there.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 17:26
Give it a wave from me.

;-)
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Pat
It's the sneaky one at the bottom of the hill under a bridge on the M9 near the airport that I hate.

Easily reach 75MPH in a lorry down there if you didn't have to brake!

Pat
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Zero
I ignore all speed limits. I'll drive over or under depending on my own risk assessment, and my risk assessment also includes the chances of getting nicked for doing it.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Armel Coussine
Yup, that's the grown-up way to do it.
>> It's the sneaky one at the bottom of the hill under a bridge on the
>> M9 near the airport that I hate.

Also still there (50 limit) both sides of the road.

The average speed cameras work too.

www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/average-speed-cameras-costing-drivers-3-500-a-day-in-fines-1.920114
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 18:20
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - mikeyb
Wonder what time they checked - its often not easy to get much above 20 on some of those roads.

The role out of this was a farce - a friend of mine lives in a cul-de-sac of 20-30 houses - the council came and installed 20 MPH signs in his road. Not even sure if you could get much past 20 there, and even if you could they will never enforce it in that road
We had that cul de sac thing. When challenged the Council said that anything other than a 30 requires repeaters at set distances or the whole thing would be invalid, even if it turned out bonkers.

I guess they thought a couple of signs and some paint for twelve million quid or whatever they pay would be cheaper than fighting it at some point.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 18:59
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Stuartli
My understanding is that the Government pays for all the new signs etc in new 20mph areas.

In some cases, the speed zones make good sense but, in the majority, they prove pointless and particularly so in the case of what are some wide, good visibility former 30 mph major roads in my town.
>> My understanding is that the Government pays for all the new signs etc in new
>> 20mph areas.

From BCC website:-

The scheme cost £2.3 million. This came from a share of the Local Sustainable Transport Fund (LSTF) allocated by the Government in 2012 and the Local Transport Plan Settlement.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - VxFan
>> Wonder what time they checked?

It's mentioned in the news article that I posted a link to.

All took place on Thursday January 14th 2016.

Easton, BS5 0TT - between 2pm and 2.15pm.

Redland - 3pm until 3.15pm.

Romney Avenue, Lockleaze - between 2.30pm and 2.45pm.

City Centre, BS2 0JT - between 1.30pm and 1.45pm

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 19:10
So all off peak hours then. If they did it between say 4 and 5 the results would have been very different
>> So all off peak hours then.

And all outside the high risk time
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Fullchat
A local junior school nearby has a 20MPH limit with flashing signs at either side posting your speed. Yes I get that but, FFS, there they are flashing at you during school holidays and at every other time the school is shut day and night.
>> A local junior school nearby has a 20MPH limit with flashing signs at either side
>> posting your speed. Yes I get that but, FFS, there they are flashing at you
>> during school holidays and at every other time the school is shut day and night.
>>

Does your council have a website for reporting faulty streetlights, traffic signs, potholes, etc? Ours does and responds appropriately.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - hjd

>> Does your council have a website for reporting faulty streetlights, traffic signs, potholes, etc? Ours
>> does and responds appropriately.
>>
Surrey does. However, it won't accept any report from anyone in my house because, apparently, the report is coming from a foreign web address.
Sky say it's not their problem. Surrey say there is nothing wrong with their website.
If you try the alternative, which is reporting by phone, the number on the website doesn't work out of hours, so you get re-directed to another number, which isn't the right one either, but they can kindly give you the correct number. Whilst on hold you can then listen to messages saying how much better it is to use the website to report things.
The traffic lights just up the road from us (busy junction) have failed at least 3 times in the last 6 weeks. We thought they might like to know, but having had this treatment three times we are disinclined to report anything else.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Slidingpillar
Where does this think you are:
tinyurl.com/zgovfa3
(Google link)

Do you get the BBC iPlayer service? The BBC uses IP addresses to make sure you're in the UK for this.

For reporting the fault, try an English proxy server:
tinyurl.com/gvay8c7
(Google link)

The problem of somebody using an out of date or inadequate IP list is nothing new.
try this one

www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

It will show you the location it thinks you are in.
I'm in Cranham, apparently. Never heard of Cranham but apparently it's a village in Gloucestershire.

I do like Gloucestershire. I might take a trip down and see if I'm free for a pub lunch, although wth my luck I expect I'll be washing my hair.
>> try this one
>>
>> www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address
>>
>> It will show you the location it thinks you are in.
>>
Apparently I am in
Lower kingswood, England United Kingdom
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Duncan
>> try this one
>>
>> www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address
>>
>> It will show you the location it thinks you are in.
>>

Some of them think I am in London, England. Well, not really.

One of the thinks I am in East Yorkshire. Um, no!
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Dog
>>www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

= Nancekuke

www.nancekukehistory.co.uk/
>> Where does this think you are:
>> tinyurl.com/zgovfa3
>> (Google link)
>>
Leatherhead.
I'm not too far away from that.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Fursty Ferret
I'm with PlusNet and your link thinks I'm in Essex. Not happy.

They promised that the internet that comes out of their telephone pipes is fresh from Yorkshire, not some recycled rubbish from the sarf east.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Ted

Tells me I'm in Whalley Range....Ha ! Out by 500 yards !
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - No FM2R
It got the right city for me, but that's a pretty big place.

>> The traffic lights just up the road from us (busy junction) have failed at least
>> 3 times in the last 6 weeks.

the west byfleet ones?
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Ted

You have hair, C ???
>> the west byfleet ones?
>>
That's the ones.
Sometimes traffic flows better without the lights working, but it's a pain if you are trying to turn out of one of the minor roads at rush hour.
Last edited by: hjd on Fri 22 Jan 16 at 07:12
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Fullchat
"Does your council have a website for reporting faulty streetlights, traffic signs, potholes, etc? Ours does and responds appropriately."

I don't think they are faulty. Thats the way they are. 24/7 running.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 23 Jan 16 at 19:05
>> "Does your council have a website for reporting faulty streetlights, traffic signs, potholes, etc? Ours
>> does and responds appropriately."
>>
>> I don't think they are faulty. Thats the way they are. 24/7 running.
>>

It's worth giving them a prod by reporting it faulty as in always on. Ours must be on time switches as they are only on at school start, stop, and lunch times and always off during the school holidays.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 23 Jan 16 at 20:42
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Slidingpillar
Streetlight outside my house stuck on. reported to council and fixed in less than 3 days.
 9 in 10 Bristol motorists ignore 20mph limit.... - Manatee
I more or less accidentally went through the middle of Oxford yesterday, on the way home from Wiltshire. We came north on the A338, and the turn near Wantage towards the A34/eastern bypass was backed up so I carried on into the city. This caused me to remember that the last time I came through Oxford in similar queue-avoiding mode, I got a ticket.

There are lots of 20 limited roads now, and I observed the limit scrupulously, for all practical purposes (<=23mph).

I felt like a rolling roadblock. Nobody actually overtook me but a builder's pickup in front disappeared rapidly. That said, it didn't cost me any time as I kept catching it at crossings and junctions.
Latest Forum Posts