Motoring Discussion > Non VW emissions Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 18

Non VW emissions - Crankcase
I see the Which report in the news lists the "true" emissions level of lots of cars petrol and diesel.

If it's true, it's disappointing to me that the old petrol Toyota Aygo I used to have is a bad 'un, as I thought that was a clean little car when I was driving it about. Oh the guilt.

Even worse for me is that my current Volvo S60 is apparently emitting TEN times the NOX limit.

Sigh. Are you on this (truncated) list? Do you care? Will you be Doing Something About It?

Link mentions some petrol as well as diesel cars.

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3406844/The-dirtiest-diesels-revealed-Study-finds-95-exceed-nitrogen-oxides-threshold.html

Non VW emissions - No FM2R
I guess it was always going to come to a head. For years we've known that quoted MPG figures were not achievable in the real world, I'm not particularly shocked that the same can be said for emissions.

Although I *am* quite shocked about how deliberately they've gone about it.

I'm not annoyed about it, mildly irritated I guess. However, I feel certain that various fanatical groups will now hound the manufacturers until this is dealt with probably resulting in much better performing cars.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 14:32
 Non VW emissions - Robin O'Reliant
I'm surprised that manufacturers are allowed to quote performance and emission figures off the back of their own "Tests". Surely these tests should be carried out by an independent body on cars that are randomly picked from a dealers showroom, with no test special software and none of these stupid missing door mirrors and taped shut lines.
 Non VW emissions - Dave_
>> Surely these tests should be carried out by an independent body on cars that are randomly picked from
>> a dealers showroom, with no test special software and none of these stupid missing door mirrors and taped shut lines

I've trailered cars from the factory near Humph's place to a test facility near Bromp for emissions testing - with half the (permanent) 4wd system disconnected. They're all at it.
 Non VW emissions - Runfer D'Hills
They're just posh Volkwagens anyway aren't they? ( you can get lynched in these parts if you say that )

;-)
 Non VW emissions - madf
>> They're just posh Volkwagens anyway aren't they?
>> ;-)
>>

That's a fine example of an oxymoron..
 Non VW emissions - ....
>> Even worse for me is that my current Volvo S60 is apparently emitting TEN
>> times the NOX limit.
>>
I'd question the data. The 2.0 in 2010 was Euro V not Euro VI as quoted, that came in 2014 with the VEA engine.
Which engine are they quoting ?

It doesn't get away from there appearing to be an issue however you have to be accurate to have credibility.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 14:54
 Non VW emissions - Crankcase
I'm hoping that my "if true" will quickly lead to

"Which Magazine Rigged Emission Tests Scandal" headlines.

Non VW emissions - Dave_
>> Sigh. Are you on the ... list?

*cough* Nothing to see here...
I read somewhere that one human fart emits more greenhouse gases than an average modern car does in 100 miles of motoring ( or something like that anyway ) suppose it depends how long the fart is but anyway...

Should curry be banned do you think, or cabbage?

I would miss both to be honest.
 Non VW emissions - Pat
Neither....if you fart 64 times a day you lose a pound in weight.

What a diet:)

Pat
It also probably depends if you do it in the greenhouse.
 Non VW emissions - legacylad
I finished my curry 45 minutes ago... Ruchee in Settle. Weds special. Papadom, pickles, any starter, any main ( exc fish) naan or rice, tea/ coffee, chocs & slices of orange. £10.95. Preceded by 6 pints.
Stand by your beds.....
Reckon you'll lose a pound an hour for the next three hours..
 Non VW emissions - Fursty Ferret
>> Even worse for me is that my current Volvo S60 is apparently emitting
>> TEN times the NOX limit.

I could live with this if it was actually doing the MPG that it says on the tin like the VW offenders.
 Non VW emissions - Stuartli
I said in this forum when the VW emissions "scandal" emerged that it would prove to be just the tip of the iceberg.......
 Non VW emissions - rtj70
You said and it will be.

I think VW failed even the standard tests. But most cars will emit more in the real world.

We all know you won't get near the max figure for MPG. And for lower MPG that's more emissions too.
 Non VW emissions - TheManWithNoName
The report doesn't state how much more 'realistic' the Which lab test was compared to the normal test. Is this published anywhere, I wonder?

And how can the Which tests be sure they didn't trigger hidden defeat devices?
 Non VW emissions - Rudedog
Interestingly I've just listened to a car advert on the radio and at the end they seemed to have added this line as an after thought.

'MPG figures are recorded under test conditions only and might not reflect real life driving'.

Not sure if they are trying to cover themselves.

Latest Forum Posts