Motoring Discussion > Space saver specification? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 18

Space saver specification? - movilogo
A friend of mine has no spare tyre and he is interested to buy one (there is space for it in the boot).

Looking at my own car's space saver spare, I could not see any normal tyre like specification!

Both our cars use 205/55R16 tyres. Does it mean my Kia Ceed's space saver will fit in his Vauxhall Astra?
 Space saver specification? - Slidingpillar
Unless the PCD (pitch circle diameter) or wheel bolt spacing and size are the same, and the offset is similar - no.

Some of course are the same as another car, and can lead to decent bargains.
So if I want to buy a space saver wheel + tyre from market for my car what are the parameters I should be looking for?

On internet they say like these - 315 8 x 15, 3.5 x 15 etc.

Is there any standard like 205/55R16?

Space saver specification? - bathtub tom
You're looking at tyre size, but what's important are the wheel dimensions.

This website gives PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter), centre bore and offset for most cars: www.wheelfitment.eu/
 Space saver specification? - Crankcase
Excellent site, thanks BT. Renault Zoe arriving next week sans spare, and they don't actually offer one. That site points me to a few other cars whose wheels are identical in every respect (obvious stuff, like the Dacia Sandero or Clio for example) and there are on the net wheels for those cars easily enough at about £80 up new.

Ta muchly. At least I know there are options.

Space saver specification? - Zero
>> Excellent site, thanks BT. Renault Zoe arriving next week sans spare, and they don't actually
>> offer one. That site points me to a few other cars whose wheels are identical
>> in every respect (obvious stuff, like the Dacia Sandero or Clio for example) and there
>> are on the net wheels for those cars easily enough at about £80 up new.
>>
>> Ta muchly. At least I know there are options.

You have gone for a car, where running out of fuel leaving you stranded is a very real possibility, and you are worried about not having a spare?

< Bemused of Surrey >
That's a bit bonkers, Zero. When you go out in your car, do you blithely ignore the range left, or the fuel needle, and think, "oh, I've got 300 miles of fuel left and it's a 350 mile journey, tell you what, it would be such a lark to drive 325 miles and see what happens"?

Just because my numbers are nearer 100 than 500 or whatever, doesn't mean I won't just plan to stop when needed, if it ever is.

Especially when 99% of the time I won't be going anywhere near the range on one journey, even allowing for unexpected diversions or whatever.

It's just basic planning.

Having said that, I always said I'm trying to be unbiased about it all, and it's an experiment, so if I do end up on a flatbed, or decide not to use it and take the Volvo on a particular journey instead, you'll all be the first to know why, and how it went.

Delivery to mon chez moi on 30th Jan.
>> That's a bit bonkers, Zero. When you go out in your car, do you blithely
>> ignore the range left, or the fuel needle, and think, "oh, I've got 300 miles
>> of fuel left and it's a 350 mile journey, tell you what, it would be
>> such a lark to drive 325 miles and see what happens"?

No but I know when I get close to there I can fill up again quickly and get back again.
That's an entirely different argument. You are no more or less prone to running out - it's just easier with liquid fuel to find somewhere so you plan (much) less. But you still have to plan, even if it's "I need something in the next fifty miles, oh here it is" rather than "oh I need something in the next fifty miles, lucky I checked the map/app first".

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

>> That's an entirely different argument. You are no more or less prone to running out
>> - it's just easier with liquid fuel to find somewhere so you plan (much) less.
>> But you still have to plan, even if it's "I need something in the next
>> fifty miles, oh here it is" rather than "oh I need something in the next
>> fifty miles, lucky I checked the map/app first".
>>
>> Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

The problem as I see it is that the quoted range is rarely achievable and so variable depending on type of use. When Laddo had a leaf for 24 hours I could get the range estimate varying from 50 miles to 180 miles in the same journey. It was an unsettling feeling. The same in facts as knowing you have no spare.

Which is what I was getting at.
Ah, I see. Ok, well I think that's just "learning your car/conditions/route" rather than relying on the guessometer. I reckon most folk buying an EV are already aware of that and have researched it.

If I hop in and reset the rangey thing to show about 130 miles (factory default) I won't be expecting in this weather to get much more than half that, for safety. Which is three days commuting, fine by me.

It's only the same as knowing that when your car shows a quarter full and 100 miles remaining it REALLY means 25 miles remaining so watch out. You just get to know that.
 Space saver specification? - Alanovich
I think your case, CC, for an EV, is perfect. Daily short haul vehicle, extreme unlikeliness of running out of charge. And even if that did happen, well any car can break down and we all deal with that in the usual way - recovery or Shanks's Pony. Second ICE car available for longer journeys.

I don't see what there is to question or criticise.

Looking forward to hearing about it.

I do 50 miles round trip every day, so it would work for me too. With an ICE car to hand for those days when I can forsee more miles being needed.

I can't do it though as work doesn't pay mileage for EVs yet.
 Space saver specification? - Ted

Would suit us as well. SWM's max trip is about 12miles out and the same back. I'm not keen on driving the Note so we tend to use mine for longer runs. Good parking on-site for charging as well.
Its pretty clear that electric cars, for most people is only a second car option.
 Space saver specification? - Old Navy
Rechargable cars are only a stopgap until fuel cells are viable
I'd go further and say with the state of play at the minute, electric cars for most people is not an option at all.

For me electric car is not an option because they are too expensive!

If they were cheaper than ICE cars, I could accept their limited range as lot of my journeys are well below 50 miles range.
 Space saver specification? - Dog
>>If they were cheaper than ICE cars, I could accept their limited range as lot of my journeys are well below 50 miles range

Yup! .. I'm wiv ^this Gisa.
 Space saver specification? - No FM2R
>>For me electric car is not an option because they are too expensive!

Certainly. The range would not bother me.

I'm not entirely sure I understand my own desire for one though. I just fancy one.
Latest Forum Posts