Motoring Discussion > Lucky little chap Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 9

Lucky little chap - Westpig
Toddler found by police wandering along dark, busy road.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/35390683
 Lucky little chap - Ian (Cape Town)
Frightening.
I hope the parents get a robust talking-to... at the very least.
 Lucky little chap - Armel Coussine
>> I hope the parents get a robust talking-to... at the very least.

Small children are impulsive and can be incredibly ingenious at escaping and going rogue. That nipper could have been killed in a trice.

The policeman in the clip is touchingly tender when fielding the child, who doesn't seem to mind in the least. Got some of his own I shouldn't wonder...
 Lucky little chap - Old Navy
We had a similar one a while back, next doors four year old grandson knocked on our door in tears saying there was no one in next door. He told us that he had walked from the shops, a 20 minute walk for an adult and he had been there with his uncle. Mrs ON fed him juice and biscuits while I phoned the police in case they were already looking for him. Within ten minutes there was a Panda car, transit van, and traffic car outside the house. I was outside explaining what had happened and the police stayed outside as the youngster was a bit upset. As I was talking to the police his mother and grand parents arrived having been shopping elsewhere. Problem solved. The police response was impressive, swift, and very careful not to frighten an upset child who thought he was in deep do do.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Jan 16 at 14:58
 Lucky little chap - zippy
I cannot find the links at the moment.

In the last couple of months there have been a couple of kids stories in the papers that have "tugged at the heart strings"....

The first was a French kid caught cycling in the middle of the night in a storm by a local farmer. Turns out his dad had a heart attack and he was cycling to his mums workplace to raise the alarm. The farmer stopped the child and raised the alarm and the father was rescued and survived.

The second was a toddler from up north found walking to nursery school at some ungodly hour by a PCSO. The toddler explained that mum wouldn't get up so she made here own way. Sadly on investigation, it seems her mother had passed away in the night.

Kids can have more wherewithal than we give them credit for, though some tales can be very upsetting.
 Lucky little chap - Fullchat
There is something about police work and young children. Makes all the the other carp pale into insignificance.
 Lucky little chap - Westpig
>> There is something about police work and young children. Makes all the the other carp
>> pale into insignificance.
>>

I remember an RTA from the early 80's....damned thing keeps returning to my mind periodically.

Fortunately the type of van involved is now well obsolete so I rarely see them to remind me.

Young lad survived fortunately, but with significant injuries... and there was an aspect to it that sticks in my mind...poor little chap (I suppose he'll be in his late 30's now).

There is something about kids that gets to you... and this was decades before I had nippers of my own.
 Lucky little chap - PhilW
Believe this if you will!
From my birth until I was 2 years old we lived at the side of the Great North Road in Durham (Neville's Cross ish)
One day my Mum answered the door to a burly chap (a truck driver) carrying a bundle. "I've just found this in the middle of the road. Is it yours?"
A horrified Mum said "Yes, it's my child"
Apparently I had managed to crawl through front gate onto the A1. Trucker had spotted me and stopped in time. She often told the story to emphasise how lucky I was to be alive if I complained about anything!
I have no memory of this but both Mum and Dad swore it was true!
Always had a soft spot for truck drivers!
 Lucky little chap - Zero

>> me and stopped in time. She often told the story to emphasise how lucky I
>> was to be alive if I complained about anything!

And there is the crux. It never happened, its just one of a million tales told by parents to their children to make the little gits grateful.

(theres a big smiley at the end of this)
 Lucky little chap - Armel Coussine
>> There is something about kids that gets to you... and this was decades before I had nippers of my own.

Most policemen aren't very psychopathic, although many aspects of police work must necessarily call for a degree of callousness. It would be unbearable otherwise.

The role of the police in carrying our guilt feelings for us is not sufficiently appreciated. That said, some if not all coppers are highly illegitimate... but the doing-their-best majority must carry psychic scars from the things they have experienced.
Latest Forum Posts