Motoring Discussion > Audi S3 versus lorry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 15

Audi S3 versus lorry - Westpig
This must have been an enormous impact for an Audi A3 to hit the back of a lorry that size, so hard as to tip it over?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-35449505

PC Paul Joynson: "The Audi collided with the back of the HGV with such force that it caused it to overturn, but at no point did the lorry land on top of the car."
Last edited by: Westpig on Sat 30 Jan 16 at 18:43
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Haywain
The report says that it was an S3 - they have 300PS. My BiL has one - it is a missile but, fortunately, he is a responsible driver.
 Audi S3 versus lorry - R.P.
www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/policeman-serious-condition-after-four-10788812

Unmarked Police Beemer ended up rear ending a stationary M&S truck on the A55 the other night. Looked pretty grim when I passed it on the way home from work.
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Cliff Pope
"A man has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after trying to 'abscond' from hospital."

So he was in hospital, for an unstated reason, tried to abscond, drove off in an unmarked police car, and then hit a lorry and ended up back in hospital again?

Some confusing sequence of events there ? Was he a policeman? Had he stolen the police car?
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Bromptonaut
>> Some confusing sequence of events there ? Was he a policeman? Had he stolen the
>> police car?

I know you enjoy playing the 'literal interpretation' game (as in the train that fortuitously stopped safely) but I think your conflating two stories here.
:)

The quote was from the original link by westpig.
Leave out the unmarked police car bit, but it still says that he absconded from hospital and then collided with a lorry. Bit odd, surely?
>> The quote was from the original link by westpig.
>> Leave out the unmarked police car bit, but it still says that he absconded from
>> hospital and then collided with a lorry. Bit odd, surely?

I think the tale is as follows:

1) Collision between A3 and lorry 24/01/16. Passenger, Joetta Shumba, dies. Driver hospitalized
2) Driver is arrested on 29/01/16 trying to 'abscond' from hospital where he awaits (further?) surgery
3) Police, aware he might try a runner, have planned for eventuality & arrest him pronto
4) He's charged, probably planned for later, but done now as makes it easier to detain him under guard.
Are, got it. You take the words and rearrange them so as to recount a different story line. :)
>> Are, got it. You take the words and rearrange them so as to recount a
>> different story line. :)

I see what you mean now. Your next challenge is to re-write the line, in no more words, to capture the true sequence of events.
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Manatee
A couple of commas would do it. Journalism ain't wot it used to be.
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Ted

Look at the very last scene in the North Wales video..........Is it only me or does the officer on the right appear to be wearing suspenders and black stockings ?

Is it just a Welsh thing...if so ?
 Audi S3 versus lorry - bathtub tom
>> Look at the very last scene in the North Wales video..........Is it only me or
>> does the officer on the right appear to be wearing suspenders and black stockings ?

IIRC you were ex-plod Ted. What colour stockings were favoured by your lot?

;>)
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Ted

Dark....but only on the more attractive PeeWees..............and they were stockings too, not these new-fangled, difficult to remove tights !
 Audi S3 versus lorry - WillDeBeest
...ex-plod Ted...

Steady! You'll have us on the dyslexic terrorism watch list.
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Dave_
>> This must have been an enormous impact for an Audi A3 to hit the back of a lorry that size,
>> so hard as to tip it over?

A significant wallop up the back end of a rigid lorry would be enough to divert it from its intended path. It doesn't take a lot to destabilise a moving lorry, watch the following two clips for proof.

Artic hitting ditherer on the M6 recently: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r8tRxPKN7U

Artic hitting an oncoming Corsa on the A90 four years ago: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK9-Ikcu0sY
Last edited by: Dave_ on Mon 1 Feb 16 at 20:42
 Audi S3 versus lorry - Bobby
That first clip was a perfect example of when a lorry should have just rammed the car!
Latest Forum Posts