Motoring Discussion > Loads more (police) Specials. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 15

Loads more (police) Specials. - FotheringtonTomas
It looks as thou we're going to get thousands and thousands more "Specials". Probably about 50,000, if the Theresa May's figures reported in "The Daily Telegraph" are correct. This could have an effect on motoring. What do you think?
 Loads more (police) Specials. - RattleandSmoke
I have nothing to hide so as longs as they don't start booking for people for going through amber or doing 31 in a 30 it can only be a good thing.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - rtj70
As long as they give me a Taser at the very least I have no complaints ;-) And I will book for going through an amber and 30.5 mph in a 30. It's all about the Big Society etc.

I will also volunteer to drive an ambulance, dust cart and hopefully a fire engine.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Zero
>> It looks as thou we're going to get thousands and thousands more "Specials". Probably about
>> 50,000, if the Theresa May's figures reported in "The Daily Telegraph" are correct. This could
>> have an effect on motoring. What do you think?

Dont think it will effect motoring. We wont get fast cars, or speed guns, or laser cameras.

Unless you fancy chasing a drunks car while on foot.

Loads more (police) Specials. - Bellboy
i wonder if it will be law they have to be fat and 3 foot tall though like the ones near me
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Woodster
What other occupation would tolerate volunteers, en masse, within their workplace, undertaking their work for free? (With the exception of the TA) I can't imagine any union accepting such a process. Unpaid volunteer nurses, firemen, printers, factory workers? What about having volunteer office staff within the support staff of the police service. That would free cash for more policemen. Now that would be a novelty, I can imagine Unison welcoming that. It should be just as tolerable since the work is supporting the police service to undertake their function, so the benefit's the same.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Iffy
...What other occupation would tolerate volunteers, en masse, within their workplace, undertaking their work for free?...

Maybe not 'en masse', but many journalists will tell you they started out working for nothing.

Submitting articles or hanging around newsrooms without payment in a bid to get a bit of experience/something published to demonstrate to an editor you are worth employing.

With higher unemployment, I imagine bosses in many other professions will be able to 'try before they buy'.

Loads more (police) Specials. - FotheringtonTomas
>> What other occupation would tolerate volunteers, en masse, within their workplace,
>> undertaking their work for free?

The police are not coping. There will not be 50,000 new full-time very well paid bluebottles. Existing jobs are not on the line. Should 50,000 "Specials" be taken on, so what (unless you're a "naughty boy").
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Old Navy
A bunch of amateur wannabe traffic cops is all we need, I would rather have speed cameras.

At least they are honest cash collectors.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Armel Coussine
I prefer smiling PCSOs who are at least paid to walk about in stab-proof jackets to self-appointed prefect types who would double as coppers' narks if they couldn't have counterfeit authority without any training at all, even a brief stint of training in the Met.

It's very obvious to me that the crisis in policing in this country has less to do with the police themselves (although they are far from innocent) than with fidgety political interfernce by one government after another.

I thought things were run better in the old days when the population loathed the Home Secretary who protected the police under all circumstances. These days the HS sucks up to the population and is hated by the fuzz.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Alastairw
The only special I knew was (and for all I know still is) a complete (insert expletive). He drove like an idiot and whenever he committed an offence used to say 'I am the law, they cant do me'

I hope for our sakes the likes of him are weeded out during recruitment, but I get the impression his type are the ones attracted to the job.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Woodster
Fothers - well, yes. I agree. Jobs aren't apparently on the line, but can you imagine any of the unions out there tolerating the same? If we need 50000 extra coppers then there should be paid employment for the unemployed. But I'm realistic and accept that they're not about to recruit extra paid officers. On a practical note - I don't think anyone need worry, specials have never been properly trained nor committed themselves to the full range of work of the regular officer. My peppered hat awaits the day a special constable sees a case through from arrest, evidence gathering, case file preparation to court appearance, unaided.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - smokie
Judging by what my mate's daughter earns, they need to get the overtime bill down somehow.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Ted

Never particularly liked in my day.......usually got in the way, if you could find one.
Ours had a mobile patrol at night...simply a clip on blue light for their own car. Drove like prat without any training.

Their senior officer was a ' Chief Inspector '...a scrawny, pompous man about 5'6" with no chin and big specs. I remember seeing him, long after he was retired, going off to a Police conference somewhere with his important looking briefcase and ID tag...he must have been 80 by then, couldn't leave it alone........tossoir !

There was one good one, desparate to join the regulars but wore glasses, a nono then.
He made it when contacts came in.

Ted
 Loads more (police) Specials. - Fullchat
With all the cutbacks Police Staff are taking a hit. The next will be PCSOs that leaves a void in 'high visibility' patrols. Specials are the cheapest option.
 Loads more (police) Specials. - MrTee43
Ring Nigel Mansell and ask if he wants to come back on duty.
Latest Forum Posts