Motoring Discussion > Back to 1950s policing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 10

Back to 1950s policing - Cliff Pope
This is wonderful news:

Lovely black policecars with a large silver bell in stead of a strident siren.
Tall impressive dignified policemen, their stature and bearing enhanced by proper helmets, neat white shirt, truncheon, whistle. None of this body armour stuff looking like a lifejacket.
The ordinary police will be called constables, instead of this pretence that they are all "officers".
And of course the chief constable, far from being elected, will be a retired army officer, usually a colonel.
 Back to 1950s policing - Tooslow
But will they be older than me? Or will they still look like they're just out of school?

JH
 Back to 1950s policing - Bellboy
i want to hear the bell
ding a ling ling
ding a ling ling
ding a ling ling

now look what ive done
ling cars internet whistle will be shreiking............
 Back to 1950s policing - L'escargot
I just hope they go back to the 1950's ways of policing, which was close to zero tolerance. In those days, you knew where to draw the line between right and wrong.
 Back to 1950s policing - No FM2R
But in those days the police didn't get sued/disciplined/fired if they used their own initiative and thus failed to follow the book to the letter.

We all like to talk of "clips around the ear" resolving various issues, but if the average copper tried it now they'd be in all sorts of do-do.
 Back to 1950s policing - teabelly
And end to the use of sophisticated forensics, dna testing, profiling, vascar, no such thing as internet crime. Wife beating swept under the carpet as it was a domestic? Not all modern policing changes have been bad.

What would be good would be a cuff round the ear for many of the youth of today. If only they could do the same to their parents and there was the shame of having a badly behaved child rather than awe.
 Back to 1950s policing - Chris S
Does this mean they'll stop murdering newspaper vendors who've been caught-up in demonstrations?
 Back to 1950s policing - Collos
When I come to the UK I view the police with a lot of suspicion wrightly or wrongly.
 Back to 1950s policing - L'escargot
>>........... I view the police with a lot of suspicion
>> wrightly or wrongly.

I view with suspicion everyone who is bigger and/or stronger than me.
 Back to 1950s policing - Zero
1950s policing only worked with the 1950s justice system.
 Back to 1950s policing - TheManWithNoName
1950's policing only worked because the criminals and their thought processes were from the same era too.
Latest Forum Posts