Motoring Discussion > James May cars of the people Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 27

James May cars of the people - movilogo
Just watched 3 episodes on iplayer for the new series.

Way more informative and fun than Top Gear.

James May cars of the people - Fenlander
I've really enjoyed watching these three episodes and thought May came across as well as he has in any of the shows he's done.
 James May cars of the people - Videodoctor
I laughed on episode 3 when James was showing us his BMW i8's voice control, and he said something like "Dial the biggest plonker in the world" and the car said "Did you mean Jeremy Clarkson?"
 James May cars of the people - Ian (Cape Town)
Pretty enjoyable - the two I've seen.
 James May cars of the people - maltrap
I thought he was much better on his own, not being upstaged by the arrogant JC.
 James May cars of the people - commerdriver
>> I thought he was much better on his own, not being upstaged by the arrogant
>> JC.
>>
All 3 of them, especially May and Clarkson are far better on their own
 James May cars of the people - WillDeBeest
I've enjoyed it too. May is a people person, an enthusiast who enjoys talking to fellow enthusiasts. As in Toy Stories and Man Lab, this makes him an engaging presenter.
 James May cars of the people - Armel Coussine
I've just watched the first episode. I was appalled by James May, relentlessly frivolous, uninformative and deeply reactionary.

Worst thing of all was the Beetle episode. The car shown wasn't an original Beetle at all (that had a two-pane rear window). And one could have done with a bit more technical information. Absolutely awful.

I owned a Lada for a while. True, it was pretty horrible, but it sort of worked as a car. But why TF didn't May mention its incredibly heavy steering? The fellow doesn't give a damn or know what he's talking about.

TCHAH!
I see that the next two episodes are each an hour long.

I really can't be bothered. This stuff is for children.
 James May cars of the people - Dog
>>I owned a Lada for a while.

S'all coming out now. What sort of cat are you fer crying out loud. Jeez, a Skoda Estelle AND a frigging Lada.

You're having a giraffe, Shirley!!!
You just don't like cars Perro. It's well known.

Here's a little something to help yoos sleep Sire: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M
>> Here's a little something to help yoos sleep

Appalling Perro. Thanks a bunch. Yippety yippety yip, ghastly clamour.

:o}
Try this one then Sire. I'm sure Herself and yoos will really dig it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eYvY4TqBks

Remember him well Perro. Not super-keen on that number though.
The point about those East European cars is that they were very cheap secondhand. Obviously you had to know what you were doing to run one.

Fortunately I did. Not like everyone it seems.
 James May cars of the people - Robin O'Reliant
There is something I find annoying about James May. His programmes show plenty of promise with items that should be of great interest but he manages to dumb it down too much so I just get bored. His Toy Story series was like that, great idea poorly executed.
 James May cars of the people - Manatee
I watched the first one last night, thinking AC must be wrong.

A good idea, badly executed I thought. There was so much more to say, and too much Top-Gear-style padding and waffling.
 James May cars of the people - WillDeBeest
That's modern TV, I'm afraid. Everything has to fill an hour even if it's really a 40-minute programme.
And it's not really made for people who are keen on motoring history, it has to find a bigger audience than that.

Tragic really. Having found those old Japanese guys, and the designer of the All-aggro for example, they could probably have got something really interesting out of them rather than just mucking about.
 James May cars of the people - Alanovich
I found myself admiring Harris Mann's original concept for the Allegro. Bit of a squashed AMC Pacer, yes, but still. It was quite rakish. I'd have fancied one back in the day, for sure. One of them with Dolomite Sprint mechanicals would have been nice.

Very much fancied that old 3-series Bimmer too. What a gloriously simple, handsome car.
 James May cars of the people - Zero
When Mays first words are

"The shape of this, the B29 super fortress is deeply etched on the conscience of mankind"

You know he is off on his realms of talking pretentious rollox. This time with no let up.

>> Very much fancied that old 3-series Bimmer too. What a gloriously simple, handsome car.

Aye, the 2002/2002 tourer/2002 ti and the first 3 series was glorious as you say.
The second 3 series had it lookswise too, it went wrong with the third.

My Mum had a second gen 318iS for a bit. I was underwhelmed when I drove it, as I was my sister's 2nd gen 325i cabrio. Nice looking things but I don't get the fuss, nothing special to drive in my book. I preferred my MkII Mondeo 1.8LX estate as a drivers' car.
>> The second 3 series had it lookswise too, it went wrong with the third.

I thought that, at the time, and still do. I had one of the second gen, a two door 318, for a while but I wasn't taken with it, the seat was too low IIRC. It was 1991, when BMWs were favoured by what were then called yuppies. Mine was a hand-me-down when I joined a new company. Audis hadn't the same image then and I got an Audi 100, followed by an 80. By then the trend followers had moved on to Audis as well so I got a Saab.

So I suppose it would be fair to say I am, or was, image conscious.
>> >> I thought that, at the time, and still do. I had one of the second
>> gen, a two door 318, for a while but I wasn't taken with it, the
>> seat was too low IIRC.

Yarss, I thought that too. Seat too low. Did not like.
>> I found myself admiring Harris Mann's original concept for the Allegro. Bit of a squashed
>> AMC Pacer, yes, but still. It was quite rakish.

Horrid Horrid Horrid. Not in the least bit rakish. It looked like a stepped on molehill.

There was design concepts in that car however that undeservedly got slated. Quartic steering wheel for example. Very logical in a space saving car.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 10 Feb 16 at 11:45
>> I watched the first one last night, thinking AC must be wrong.

Oh ye of little faith!

:o}
Latest Forum Posts