Motoring Discussion > Corporate manslaughter law Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 10

Corporate manslaughter law - TheManWithNoName
Occasionally I am required to carry out visits as part of my job and drive using my own car. As a result, my employer requires me to provide a copy of my insurance certificate.

It struck me today as I was emailing a copy to a colleague that at no time do they check my car has a valid MOT.

Even if I was insured but was to have a crash and my MOT had expired or there was a defect, I guess there could be legal hell to pay.

Does anyone else have to provide just their insurance?
 Corporate manslaughter law - Clk Sec
Your employer can easily check your MOT status online once your insurance certificate is in their possession.
 Corporate manslaughter law - Zero
Employers duties with respect to using your own car are based around ensuring you are legally entitled to use your own car, Usually just conforming to license and insurance legislation, rarely do they bother about MOT or Tax,

Its done in various ways, some have the proviso that each time you sign for expense claims you are affirming you are legal to drive, and some ask for an annual copy or license and insurance.
 Corporate manslaughter law - Bromptonaut
They can check your MoT status on line:

www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Don't think just checking the MoT would be adequate defence if you were driving an unroadworthy vehicle while on duty. My current employer seems fairly laid back about issue though I'm not in a post where I can be required to drive.

The govt department I worked for until 2013 got quite serious about this stuff post 2005 or thereabouts. There were rules about vehicle age and all sorts, very strong preference for use of pool cars rather than private vehicles. LAst time I used car for work was early 2012, had to jump through a lot of hoops about the route I was taking from Northampton to Boston Spa (Wetherby) and return, plan breaks etc.
 Corporate manslaughter law - Clk Sec
Pieces of eight, pieces of eight...
;)
 Corporate manslaughter law - Manatee
>>LAst time I used car for
>> work was early 2012, had to jump through a lot of hoops about the route
>> I was taking from Northampton to Boston Spa (Wetherby) and return, plan breaks etc.
>>

Thou jestesh, Shirley? Chuffing Nora. I can't imagine being asked to do that.

No wonder the country is going to the dogs if that's the government's (i.e. the civil service's) level of trust in its own employees, and that it's opinion of the rest of us is so low.
 Corporate manslaughter law - Bromptonaut
>> Thou jestesh, Shirley? Chuffing Nora. I can't imagine being asked to do that.

IIRC I had to make a case for exception to normal rules which complicated it a bit. Question asked was if I was familiar with route (I guess being inadvertently off route and pressured is accident risk territory). There was a terrible temptation to be facetious about my familiarity with the M1 to Sheffield/Leeds - done about once a month for 30yrs!! .
 Corporate manslaughter law - CGNorwich
The fact that your car had no MOT could hardly impinge on your employer. It is the owner's responsibility and would not be of concern to an employer.

Lack of an MOT would in no way affect your liability in negligence should you have an accident.

As long as your employer is happy that you have insurance and they cannot be held financially liable for your negligence they will be happy
 Corporate manslaughter law - Tigger
I have to provide insurance, MOT and driving licence each year, and undergo a computer questionnaire. If I score lowly on the computer questionnaire it gives advice for reducing my risk.

We're expected to take a hire car if its cheaper - which it usually is if the trip is longer than about 60 miles return.
 Corporate manslaughter law - sooty123
Similar here, you have to show your licence every year and provide a print out of the old part. Then for each journey provide evidence that you have valid insurance for business journeys.
You can take your own car only if it's cheaper than a pool car/hire car.
Tbh it's a faff to take your own car, easier to just get one when you need it. Plus we only get 22p per mile and told to claim the rest back from hmrc, so i try and avoid taking mine.
 Corporate manslaughter law - Rick O'Shea
My employers fleet policy will cover any vehicle for business use, if authorised by at least a senior manager, however the mileage allowance paid is reduced in this case!
Latest Forum Posts