Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo III - Dual mass flywheel or not?
Thread Author: Boggy Replies: 5

Ford Mondeo III - Dual mass flywheel or not? - Boggy
Bit of a dilemma - I have a 2001 Mondeo Zetec, 1800 petrol, clutch is slipping and I've been quoted £340 for replacement (including slave cylinder) but over £800 if it has a dual mass flywheel - they won't know until they take it all to bits! Any way of predicting / finding out if my model year has one?
 Ford Mondeo III - Dual mass flywheel or not? - Victorbox
Can't help you with the DMF question but if they are dropping the front subframe, replacing clutch and slave cylinder and realigning subframe as per Ford guidelines for £340 that's a bit of a bargain. Must be Mr Clutch! I've just paid over £600 for a Vauxhall (albeit main dealer) clutch replacement with no DMF.
 Ford Mondeo III - Dual mass flywheel or not? - Collos
Standard flywheel and clutch.even if it was dualmass you can still fit a standard unit most people do.
Thanx Collos, I was not looking forward to that much open wallet surgery!
 Ford Mondeo III - Dual mass flywheel or not? - DP
I have never heard a satisfactory explanation as to why a petrol engine needs a DMF. A diesel with its huge cylinder pressures and big individual power "pulses", makes a bit more sense.

I intend to fit a steel flywheel to my Golf 1.8T when I get the clutch replaced. Cannot find a single report of problems anywhere after doing so, and my mechanic doesn't know of any horror stories either. Your Mondeo will be fine on a steel flywheel.

Also, just because your clutch has had it, doesn't mean the flywheel will have. The original DMF on my old Scenic 1.9dCi was still perfectly serviceable when the clutch failed (suddenly) at 65,000 miles.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 28 Jul 10 at 18:43
Well not a happy conclusion! Apparently it has got one, so total bill £850. Whole car probably not worth much more. Oh well.......
Latest Forum Posts