Motoring Discussion > Advanced Training: IAM, RoSPA or something else? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pete Replies: 10

Advanced Training: IAM, RoSPA or something else? - Pete
I fancy doing some advanced driver training with a view to taking an advanced test. I had a run out with a local IAM observer at the weekend, and I've investigated how much their course costs, and how it works.

But I'm wondering, what might be alternatives? I've seen stuff on the web about RoSPA courses. Has anyone on this forum done an advanced test? Which course would you recommend?

Thanks
 Advanced Training: IAM, RoSPA or something else? - teabelly
I did a ride drive session which was with a police instructor. You can do skid pan training and also get a certificate which gives you money off insurance with Adrian Flux. I thought it was really good. No exams or anything. Also if you join the IAM they tend to want you to start mentoring other people. No idea about the ROSPA course.
 Advanced Training: IAM, RoSPA or something else? - R.P.
I'm in the process of going for an IAM qualification on bikes - 160 squids....
 Advanced Training: IAM, RoSPA or something else? - Bellboy
drive for 5 miles talking to yourself about every conceivable problem you see
i came home tonight and met my nemesis
a bloke on a bike
he was overtaking all the parked cars in the queue
good thing was he was a thinker and realised the open gap was there and stopped as i pulled forward
 Advanced Training: IAM, RoSPA or something else? - smokie
I did IAM a few years back. A mate who is an IAM observer is also a RoSPA one. I don't think there is much difference except once you pass IAM it'd for life, whereas RoSPA you have to retest every few (3?) years, and get different grades - so you can go from silver to gold and back.
 Advanced Training: IAM, RoSPA or something else? - Bellboy
i got my blue for swimming
Thanks for the pointers. It's helpful to hear the comparision of RoSPA and IAM.

Teabelly, I wasn't aware of RideDrive, but like what I can see on their website. Can I ask: which of their sessions did you go on?

Cheers

Pete
I did the basic 4 hour one. If I had known how good it was I'd have done the full day version!
I get the impression that the basic one isn't *too* basic, then? I have to confess that the IAM taster was a bit underwhelming in terms of learning new stuff.
From what I remember we went through: road positioning, better steering, better gear changing, gear choice, hints on things to look for eg reflections and other advanced observation methods. Road signage - basically taking notice of it! It was mostly on A roads but you choose before what you wish to do eg town driving, motorway, A roads, mixture.

Also did rev matching for down shifts. Was going to do more on over taking but light was fading and weather was turning nasty so I settled for pootling along like an old biddy!

There were further things that could have been done in a longer session but 4 hours with a stop off part way through for a coffee and snack was enough I think.

Thanks Teabelly. I'll give them a call.
Latest Forum Posts