Motoring Discussion > Insuring an RV in USA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 6

Insuring an RV in USA - smokie
I have an offer of a really cheap RV, to shift it from Iowa to SF. it is a new vehicle, and I'm the deliveryman :-)

The cost is $1 per day plus they take a $1000 bond in case of damage. Up to 2500 miles are included and they pay up to £200 against bills for fuel. I pick up one day and have to deliver by a certain agreed date, which looks like it can be at least 2 weeks.

So I realise that this may be a little restrictive in mileage terms and there will be some hidden costs. but the thing which isn't mentioned is insurance - they do not provide it, and only take the $1k mentioned about as deposit against damage.

Can anyone recommend the best sites for short term insurance? I'm thinking at least the SLI and CDW plus any other standard road user insurances for the US, but more than $1k would be required for any damage to the RV.
Hmmm just rooting round the web, it seems this offer which sounded too good to be true is probably too good to be true.

Well maybe that's over-stated but there is a definite risk of them holding onto your $1k deposit for even the slightest "damage" (scraped fabric flyscreens are mentioned a couple of times), although most of the people with issues really do seem to have had a proper incident, albeit mostly just a minor scrape.

So while it looked a good idea, once you factor in overnight costs and petrol (apparently some of these only do 10 mpg, smaller gallon though) it becomes not quite such a deal.

I'm gonna pass on it...

Insuring an RV in USA - sherlock47
Is this a new vehicle, or delivering for a private owner - but booked/arranged through an agency.

40 years ago delivery cars were common - very good way for a student to drive accross the states.

We took a car from NY to SF via LA. The delivery address was incorrect which accounted for the LA diversion :) - When we delivered to the owner he was absolutely delighted to see us with car intact and he was responsible for refunding the money.

PS it was a VW Variant ( for those who are too young to remember, the estate with an aircooled engine and petrol fired heater). Americans thought we were mad having crossed Death Valley in mid summer in a car with no AC!

Insuring an RV in USA - nice but dim
What will you earn out of this?
Answering both questions in one... The earn is cheap use of a brand new RV. These are, apparently, requiring delivery from the manufacturer in Iowa to their rental locations.
 Insuring an RV in USA - Rudedog
Would you have to travel back to where you departed from?
 Insuring an RV in USA - Zero
>> Would you have to travel back to where you departed from?
>
Heathrow?
Latest Forum Posts