Motoring Discussion > Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 7

Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - VxFan
Toyota is to recall 48,616 cars in the UK as part of a global recall of 2.87 million vehicles.

The Japanese firm said the global recall involved its RAV4 SUV model produced between July 2005 and August 2014.

The fault means there is a possibility that seatbelts could be damaged by a metal seat frame part in the event of a crash.

news.sky.com/story/1643969/toyota-to-recall-nearly-3-million-cars

Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - rtj70
What's worse - Toyota needing to recall 2.87 million RAV4's built over 9 years because of a seatbelt/safety fault or VW cheating with diesel testing?

This Toyota recall will be across model revisions if it's 2005 - 2014? Maybe the RAV4 isn't updated too often.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Feb 16 at 01:26
 Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - rtj70
2005 to 2014... could be three models based on production dates.
 Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - Tigger
>> What's worse - Toyota needing to recall 2.87 million RAV4's built over 9 years because
>> of a seatbelt/safety fault or VW cheating with diesel testing?

In terms of the number of deaths? VW by a very large margin. It's just that most of the deaths will be people in towns and cities not travelling in the cars.

"Toyota recalled nearly three million RAV4 sport utility vehicles worldwide on Thursday, saying their rear seatbelts could be severed in a crash, leaving passengers unprotected.

The fault is suspected in the separation of seatbelts in two crashes, one of which killed a passenger. ... Toyota said that it could not confirm whether the seatbelt failure had caused the fatality, which occurred in a crash in Canada, but that it was recalling the vehicles as a precaution. The other crash was in the United States."

Whilst even one death is a tragedy, I do wonder whether the robust response is because one of the failures happened in the USA. I'd love to think that a UK death would count as highly, but somehow I doubt it.
 Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - smokie
I really don't think VW understating emissions can be as dangerous as seatbelts which could kill, though both are over-hyped IMO. It's not as though VW emissions would be zero if corrected.
 Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - WillDeBeest
I think you've got that back to front, Smokie. If it's taken 11 years for the potential seat belt hazard to become apparent, the number of actual incidents that have given concern must be tiny, as is the probability of any one seat belt failing to protect in an (already improbable) accident.

Excessive NOx emissions, though, have been happening every day and are a known contributory factor to deaths of people with respiratory problems. I'd say cheating measures designed to reduce such effects is a more serious matter than an unintentional engineering error that's created a small hazard, even in a large number of vehicles.
 Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - Tigger
>> I really don't think VW understating emissions can be as dangerous as seatbelts which could
>> kill...

Its the other way around! The seatbelts MIGHT have contributed to one death so far.

The fact that VW (and others, I'm sure) were/are emitting very much more than the legal amount of NOx into built up areas HAS been contributing to a large number of premature deaths.

There's a road in the city here which has had to be closed to vehicles as the only way to get the airborne pollution down to a safe level.
 Toyota - Recall Nearly 3 Million Cars - mikeyb
The risk in the RAV only exists at the point you have an accident, the damage being caused by VW's (and others) occurs every time you turn the key
Latest Forum Posts