Motoring Discussion > Cars in Retirement Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 57

Cars in Retirement - Paul Robinson
I have to buy a new car, my current leased car goes back next month, so I have to get something sorted swiftly. It's my 58th birthday in about 5 weeks and I am moving to a more non executive role and should be starting to be working less over the next couple of years. So, my next car should cover my transition to semi retirement. It comes into my mind that my father retired at 59 and shortly before had bought a Volvo 240 that he kept for about 10 years, then changed for an automatic Toyota Carina that kept him going for a further 10 years, until he wanted something smaller and had a Honda Jazz CVT for another 10 years until he gave up driving at 89.

I'm sure I'll have more cars than that - but what is everyone expecting to be driving in retirement?
 Cars in Retirement - sooty123

>> I'm sure I'll have more cars than that - but what is everyone expecting to
>> be driving in retirement?
>>

Bit far away for me to think about that, but whatever suits at the time i suppose. Plenty of retired and semi retired on here that will advise.
 Cars in Retirement - Robin O'Reliant
I have a Mazda MX5 earmarked as my retirement car.
 Cars in Retirement - Boxsterboy
>> I have a Mazda MX5 earmarked as my retirement car.
>>

Let's hope you stay flexible enough to get in and out of it!
 Cars in Retirement - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> Let's hope you stay flexible enough to get in and out of it!
>>

Well, this is the model I'm driving at the moment and I don't have any trouble getting in or out -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXwcywqv8yY
 Cars in Retirement - spamcan61
>>
Popular choice round my way (highest percentage of OAPs in the country).
 Cars in Retirement - Tigger
>>
I decided to buy mine early, at just under 50. Just in case me (or more likely wife) can't get in or out.

Picked up a friend who is badly disabled, and she actually found it easier than a regular car - mostly because of the longer door. Though the seat was a long way down for her.
 Cars in Retirement - John Boy
>> Picked up a friend who is badly disabled, and she actually found it easier than a regular car - mostly because of the longer door. Though the seat was a long way down for her.

I was interested to read that, because I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that choosing a car for the elderly or disabled is not as simple as it might appear.
 Cars in Retirement - henry k
>> I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that choosing a car for the elderly ....is not as simple as it might appear.
>>
As I have already posted....

Later in retirement as mobility of frame diminishes I know this problem might force a change of vehicle.
It is already getting more difficult to fully open the door due to the large number of gross 4 X 4s filling the car parks.
Are there any quality cars with front sliding doors?
The only vehicles I know of are the Peugeot 1007 and the Toyota Porte

I assume the 1007 was brave try that failed but if Honda tried they might succeed .
 Cars in Retirement - sherlock47

Add the Bedford CA to the list. Not many left though!
 Cars in Retirement - PeterS
There's always the self parking / remote parking option...

youtu.be/UbVe0UVRe8o

Cars in Retirement - Tigger
>> I was interested to read that, because I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that choosing
>> a car for the elderly or disabled is not as simple as it might appear.
>>
My mother-in-law liked my wife's Jazz, mostly because of the shape of the door. It is particularly suitable for people with limited knee movement.
 Cars in Retirement - Skip
>> I have to buy a new car, my current leased car goes back next month,
>> so I have to get something sorted swiftly. It's my 58th birthday in about 5
>> weeks ..........

You still have about 20 years to go before you are old enough to own a Honda Jazz or a Toyota Yaris !
 Cars in Retirement - Paul Robinson
It's a shame the Jazz and Yaris have that image, as if I'm honest they would suit my needs fine .....
 Cars in Retirement - CGNorwich
They a both very good cars. Forget about image. Buy what you need not what someone thinks you should buy.
 Cars in Retirement - Runfer D'Hills
Aye indeed that's true. I've turned up for umpteen business meetings on the bus, on foot, in a taxi, in old cars, little cars, big cars, new cars and on a bike. It doesn't ever seem to have made the slightest difference to the outcome of them provided the propositions I've presented were attractive or made sense to the customer.

Have whatever you want and what suits you I'd say.
 Cars in Retirement - Old Navy
>> They a both very good cars. Forget about image. Buy what you need not what
>> someone thinks you should buy.
>>

A voice of sanity amongst the badge worshipers.
 Cars in Retirement - legacylad
Exactly ON... Buy what you need, not what someone thinks you should buy. Which is why I rejected the Leon ST estate. Very poor quality cabin compared to my 12yo BM. I'm too old for a retrograde step, and once you get used to a good local butcher you don't buy supermarket meat.
 Cars in Retirement - Falkirk Bairn
If Honda & Toyota brought out "a warm version" / " light turbo" to give the top model a "bit of go"

I am sure there would be a following - just look what a warm/very warm versions did for Golfs!
>> If Honda & Toyota brought out "a warm version" / " light turbo" to give
>> the top model a "bit of go"
>>
>> I am sure there would be a following - just look what a warm/very warm
>> versions did for Golfs!
>>

Some people know that you don't need vast power for rapid unobtrusive progress.
 Cars in Retirement - Zero
I retired, 5 years ago and I my requirements were

a: Newest car I could get for my available budget (5 grand)
b: Car with lowest milage that met a: above
c: reliable
d: Cheap to maintain - IE Service at home.

The Lancer has met and smashed beyond all those requirements. I want to get rid, but its still beating all those requirements with such ease that I can't justify its replacement .
Golf Gti. Goes like stink, huge fun, fairly bulletproof but doesn't make you look like you're having your second mid life crisis if you choose a sober colour.

Cars in Retirement - martint123
I went for a 10 year old MX5 when I chucked it all in. Cat C with some paint and bumper problems.
Sorted it out as a project and kept it for 10 years. Paid 2000 for it and got 2000 for it at 20 years old as scrappage on an I10
Main transport remains a couple of motorbikes KTM Duke 690 and '98 R1

I hit 60 last year, and as I've worked since the age of 17 decided to take a year out beginning end of May. Whilst not busy travelling I did get suckered into a months work Nov/Dec and am unsure as to whether I am properly retired or not!
If I had the funds, and I don't, then it would be a Panamera for me thank you very much. I could be very tempted by a GTI with the performance pack ( clever front diff) those nice tartany fabric seats ( why would you pay extra for leather?) and standard 18'' rims.
In the real world it's going to be an estate of sorts...doesn't need to be silly fast because my reactions aren't what they were. And the Golf R estate is only available with DSG.
I get a lot of enjoyment out of driving, albeit few miles these days, and there's the rub. I should get a petrol Avensis estate, or similar, but it ain't gonna happen. A fool & his money.
I only do a low mileage so my cars usually finish up being scrapped.
I am fortunate in not having to worry about poor fuel consumption or very high tax.
My 2.5 auto petrol X type suits me fine.
Later in retirement as mobility of frame diminishes I know this problem might force a change of vehicle.
It is already getting more difficult to fully open the door due to the large number of gross 4 X 4s
filling the car parks.
Are there any quality cars with front sliding doors?
 Cars in Retirement - Ted

I'm quite happy to use the classic as a daily runner. The engine needs connecting up atm but once domestic projects are gone in a few weeks and it's a bit warmer....I'll do it. 64 this Summer, only 6 years younger than me !

I do like the Grand Vitara 2.0 TD Auto but we wouldn't need it if we didn't have the 17ft shed to tow. Wifey's happy with the 1.6 Note Auto but a Zoe would do us as a shopper/local car.

Both happy with the train for longer trips. I can do solo longer runs on the Honda 600 as well, the Velocette won't get much use....feeble brakes !
 Cars in Retirement - bathtub tom
I'm now in my late 60s and bought a Yaris ('14 reg,1.3 petrol) a while ago. It does everything I want, returns a smidgen under 50MPG and thanks to the variable valve timing will lift its skirts and provide useful acceleration between 3 and 6k RPM.

I reckon its handling could be improved with wider rubber.
Much like bathtub Tom (a couple of years older) I have a Yaris, mine is a diesel and I am an above average mileage driver, it is lively enough and can easily keep up at motorway speeds but I agree it needs wider tyres. Its fuel consumption is a little better than bt's petrol one but only by about 5mpg probably because I have never been accused of holding up the traffic. Once a boy racer, always an idiot. I am in the early stages of thinking about a replacement, and a petrol Toyota Àuris 1.2 turbo is favourite at the moment.
 Cars in Retirement - smokie
I think I'm retired, I last worked in March 2015 but if someone came along with a well paid short term contract I'd maybe take it, holiday commitments permitting :-)

Anyway since getting rid of a very nice but money pit of a 57 reg Mondeo Titanium X 2.5l I've been running what was SWMBOs old 06 reg Focus 1.6L which we've had pretty much since new. She moved onto a nearly new Fiesta which she loves (and she's still working)

I have the urge to change cars and had pretty much settled on a Volvo S40. I found one a couple of weeks back at a bit under £10k then decided I really don't need to change the Focus. I do very few miles now (7k last year) and the car costs very little to service and maintain (touch wood). it certainly leaves a bit to be desired in the equipment and comfort stakes but it's reasonably economic on fuel and it got me round Europe last year, 2000 miles in a few weeks. I don't have to fret about it getting dinged in car parks etc and I'm thinking I will end up running it into the ground, which could be as long as 10 years.

However the other choices would be, in order of preference,

Volvo S60
Qashqai
Honda Civic
Maybe a Prius, to satisfy the green itchings I have, but they tend to be pricey
 Cars in Retirement - WillDeBeest
...Volvo S60...

It occurred to me this morning that I still have the Volvo-Thule roof bars for mine. Very solid, very easy to fit. Locks and keys included.
};---)

Presume my retirement car will be something electric - and I don't mean a mobility scooter. Unless ON is right and hydrogen proves viable against the odds. It's 15 and probably 20 years away for me, so there's plenty of time.
 Cars in Retirement - Dave_
>> Golf Gti. Goes like stink, huge fun, fairly bulletproof but doesn't make you look
>> like you're having your second mid life crisis

Twenty years ago my dad thought exactly like that, but mum wasn't having any of it. So he bought a Passat with the same running gear, ran it for 8 years and she never twigged.
 Cars in Retirement - Harleyman
but what is everyone expecting to be driving in retirement?
>>

On two wheels; probably pretty much what I've got now, couple of old Harleys and a BMW flat twin. the old WLC will be 100 years old in 2042, and I shall be 82; I hope to be fit enough to take it for a spin on its 100th birthday.

Car-wise; I don't really give a hoot so long as it's cheap to run and reliable. I too could fancy an MX-5 but Mrs. HM has a chronic back problem and access would be difficult for her; shame cos she likes them too. I've always said I'd like a Morgan when I retire but realistically they're not practical enough, and even given the fact that they're hand-built are prohibitively expensive; I shall probably settle for a Transporter-size van which will do for occasional camping and tow a bike trailer for shows etc.

Garage size and future petrol prices permitting, a nice American classic could tempt me too.
 Cars in Retirement - Cliff Pope
>> a Volvo 240 that he kept for about
>> 10 years,
>>

Excellent car for all occasions, I've had them for years. I'll keep my latest one indefinitely.
 Cars in Retirement - Dog
>>Excellent car for all occasions, I've had them for years. I'll keep my latest one indefinitely.

Should have kept my red GLT really. Failed MOT on a bit of rust - could have easily bin repaired.
Gave it to mate who cannibalised it for his dog-of-a-240.

Had the Sub fer 3 years now - reminds me of the red Vulva in many weighs and, tis a keeper.

(*_*)
 Cars in Retirement - madf
In 2012 I bought a Jazz cvt with 300 miles on it and 6 months old complete with 5 years prepaid service. (At a discount of course)

I still have it: nothing has gone wrong, service is free till next year and it is ideally suited to retirement, carrying 2 metre + lengths of wood, beehives and large boxes with no difficulty. Parking sensors so parking is easy. Comfortable. Ideal for towns, OK for long drives.
Easy clean fabric...

Honda service has been great.
All in all : zero hassles. Just what an old fogey needs.

Cars in Retirement - helicopter
At age 66 I am still driving my now 10 year old Honda Accord 2.4 Ex which has 78 k on the clock. 198 bhp gives me enough poke on the motorway to outrun most and will poodle along at 30 .Very comfortable car with all the bells and whistles.

Being a Honda it is very reliable , only a wheel bearing replacement needed other than normal service items over my seven year ownership.

No intention of changing at the moment.

SWMBO has the 1.3 Yaris 2009 version which we use for local runs.
 Cars in Retirement - Falkirk Bairn
>>At age 66 I am still driving my now 10 year old Honda Accord 2.4 Ex

At age 69 I am still driving my now 3 year old Honda CRV 2.0 Ex
How I'd love to have Helicopter's 2.4 engine instead of the asthmatic 2 litre.

CRV has 2.4 as standard fit in USA why not here as an option?
 Cars in Retirement - helicopter
I do like the CRV FB and would have bought one but as you say, they are a bit underpowered , the Accord will sit happily at 90 plus and is just extremely quiet and comfortable and suits me .....I can surprise a few boy racers when necessary.
 Cars in Retirement - Avant
"I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that choosing a car for the elderly or disabled is not as simple as it might appear."

Very true, John Boy. SWMBO and I are in our late 60s - not disabled (yet!) but SWMBO has a back problem and an arthritic knee. She gets in and out of her Mini Roadster without too much trouble, but she finds the firm bolster at the side of the seat of my Octavia vRS very awkward.

Greater height helps, but in some cars the door sill is too prominent (Octavia Scout) or too high, or too far from the seat (Yeti). With most Audis, for some reason, it's easy to hit your head on the top edge of the door.

So far, the BMW X1 and Active Tourer, the Ford C-Max and the Volvo V60 are the easiest to get in and out of, so they're at the top of my current shortlist. The Golf SV is OK too, but no VW dealer near here (north Dorset) has the wit to find a GT 1.4 TSI for a test drive.

I've no doubt that a Honda Jazz would be excellent from this point of view. I'm not concerned about image, but we do plenty of long trips as well as short ones, and the lack of power (even compared with the Mini, never mind the Octavia) rules it out for us.
I yearn to be far less sensible in old age than I need to be now. I want to have an outrageously unsuitable car by then. And I shall affect a battered straw hat into the bargain. I think it's important to have clear goals.
In that case a Golf R rather than the GTI. Shame you cannot get those nice tartany seats with the R. And leaving an R anywhere in a city centre would have me worried...I find it incredibly sad that such a consideration would even come to mind. They seem to be scroat magnets.
 Cars in Retirement - Avant
Ah yes Runfer - the male equivalent of 'When I am old I shall wear purple....'
Indeed !
...the male equivalent of 'When I am old I shall wear purple....'

Isn't that 'When I am old I shall be purple'?

On the Golf I considered one briefly last year but - apart from the absurdity of 300hp on southeastern roads - I read some alarming stories about R drivers being followed home and relieved of their keys under duress, apparently because of demand for the specific model. While I'm not a big fan of scare stories, this was enough to knock my interest on the head; a plain GTI would be plenty fast enough for me.
 Cars in Retirement - Cliff Pope
>> I yearn to be far less sensible in old age
>>

Difficult in my case.
If I wanted a two seater ( non sports car) with a boot what is available?

All I am aware of is
www.motorpunk.co.uk/carclub-18-30/the-cars/suzuki-x-90-worst-car-ever/
The world turned it down I suspect due to its non standard image.
In spite of what is stated it appears that folks buy on image not what is practical ?
 Cars in Retirement - bathtub tom
X90 prices are climbing because of their popularity as trials cars. Look at any recent trial and see the numbers used. They've basically got Vitara underpinnings.
Is that because the lack of rear seats leaves more room for a prisoner with a blanket over his head?
 Cars in Retirement - Fenlander
Well if a definition of retirement is when the company pension kicks in I've had the C5 tourer, Alfa and 5-series tank.

I really don't want to be defined as retired by a specific car though and as time goes on I find pleasure perhaps more in what any car allows me to do as opposed to the car itself.... except for the Alfa.

>>>It's a shame the Jazz and Yaris have that image, as if I'm honest they would suit my needs fine ....

My 18yr old daughter has a lovely mint green Jazz. Never had that much to do with them and always wary of a car so rammed down our throats as a "superb little car" by press and owners alike... but it is great to use. Needs more power than her 1200 petrol and stiffer anti-roll bars wouldn't go amiss but otherwise really great.
Off at a slight tangent, but does 'car in retirement' affect the music one listens to whilst pootling along? As stated previously, I don't know if I've retired yet, and normally listen to music digitally in car. However, a few weeks ago I replaced a Staus Quo album in my 6 stack CD player in the boot with Supertramp.
In mitigation, the other 5 remain the same... AC/DC, Eagles, Alabama3, Idgy Vaughn & JJ Cale.
Mandatory Classic FM or radio 4. :-)
 Cars in Retirement - Ted

Same as the Ancient Mariner.....or classical discs.
I kicked off with a Triumph Herald in 1974 when I started my first job. All of my first month's wages went on a Phillips car cassette player. I recorded my own cassettes back then and the first two I had in the car were Bowie - David Live www.youtube.com/watch?v=_It-w8JNVxM and Reading Festival '73 www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RPHjc-sITc

Both those albums are always in the BMW 6-CD stack whatever else is swapped in and out.

So retirement hasn't changed much regarding music.
Good man
I've never listened to Classic FM, and only very occasionally R4. Although I once considered a Glen Campbell CD last year. That was a scary moment, but I'm over it now. Bought Gorillaz 'Plastic Beach' instead.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 24 Feb 16 at 17:48
I also cheat, almost all my CDs are on a memory stick which goes into a USB socket in the glovebox, clever these Yarisisisis.
Well that's all very well but you lose the pleasure of looking though the cover and lyrics...
While you are driving? The CDs are used on the kit in the house, much easier to read the boxes. :-)
 Cars in Retirement - gramar
Back in 2010, whilst in full time employment, I was in need of something more reliable than the Citroen Xsara I was driving. My daily commute was 41 miles each way. My wife suggested I look for a Suzuki Ignis (she stillloves hers after more than 6 years) and so it was I found a lovely Ignis Sport (best described as a Jack Russell on steroids). I ran the car for 5 years. It was faultless, economical and good fun to drive if a little cramped.

I retired through redundancy from local government in February 2013 aged 58 and annual mileage fell by 75%. I now travel approx 3-3500 miles a year and fancied a change of car and started looking for something, bigger and more comfortable. My 'new' car is a SEAT Altea XL 1.6 petrol. A complete change for me. I can stretch out in comfort, have the same reliability, with a massive boot and surprisingly good economy.
Last edited by: gramar on Sun 28 Feb 16 at 06:58
Latest Forum Posts