Motoring Discussion > Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 30

Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Bobby
Coming in on the M74 today, stop start traffic for 6 miles, and there were 4 particular vehicles that were constantly switching lanes in their own wee world. Rarely indicating, more lurching as they realised the lane either side of them was still moving as they came to a halt.

Meanwhile I stuck in the one lane until it was time to come off and I ended up behind one of the vehicles that I had been level with 6 miles previously except he had changed lanes at least 9 times!
Surely that must add to the stress of driving, never mind increase the risk of accidents!
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Slidingpillar
And with sensible motorways with hard shoulders, lane 1 - the slow lane usually offers smoother, safer, and quite often faster progress.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - diddy1234
In traffic jams like described above I tend to go in the 'slow' lane behind the lorry's because most people want to get out of the way of the lorry's (as if a lorry will slow them down more in a traffic jam).

Must be something mentally challenging about being stuck behind lorry's in a traffic jam to some people.

I don't mind, good on those people because they move out of the slow lane congesting the other lanes I end up making better progress and no stress to deal with either
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Tue 23 Feb 16 at 09:43
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Bobby
I sit in the middle lane as this stretch has about 4 or 5 slip roads that come on. So inside lane comes to a halt to allow cars coming on at each junction whereas middle lane doesn't necessarily come to a halt as such if you give enough space for a bit of filtering.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - WillDeBeest
Yes, where it will facilitate smooth progress - which means looking ahead and seeing whether overtaking the traffic immediately in front will get me into clearer road ahead. But just joining a stream of nose-to-tail traffic that appears to be moving slightly faster - which seems to be what Bobby is describing - just slows everybody down, because it requires squeezing into another driver's safety space and forces them to slow down and so slow everyone behind them. You can assume the same problem is occurring all along the stream too, which is partly what's causing the congestion in the first place.

On my regular section of westbound M4 past Slough, there's one exit (J6) that regularly backs up on to the carriageway, so I plan to be out of lane 1 in time to avoid that. Otherwise, I'm in lane 1 unless, as I described, I can see an opportunity to make useful progress.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Falkirk Bairn
>>the slow lane usually offers smoother, safer, and quite often faster progress.

AND somewhere to go in the event of anything happening ahead + easier to get off at the next junction.

In my days of daily trips to Edinburgh & Glasgow (before retiring) the slower inside lane tended to keep going rather than the stop/start of lane 2 & 3 and more often than not was the quicker. I also found slow motorway / dual carriageway was still faster than coming off and trying the back roads.
The knowledge of backroads was worth it when there was a bump ahead & recovery vehicles were needed.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Alanovich
Mythbusters did this one in San Francisco traffic. They found out that, over about a 20 mile journey I think it was, the "weavers" which the OP describes made it to destination about 2 minutes sooner than someone staying in lane. So their conclusion was that it's not significant enough an advantage to make it worth doing, considering the extra stress and wear and tear it causes.

But some people thrive on stressing themselves out, and have a pencil/shoe sales appointment in Luton to get to. ;-)
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - smokie
I've done both, I don't find it particularly stressful to do, it sounds like it's more stressful watching to see who has got the upper hand to me... :-)

I also overtake up the inside on occasions, when I'm "making progress" in lane 1 in free flowing traffic and someone is going slower in lane 2 (or even 3, on the 4 lane stretches - even lane 4 sometimes!!!)

I also use bus lanes during the hours which they are allowed to be used, but many drivers don't. I think that's just an observation/awareness or ignorance thing.
...or that the plate with the bus lane times on it is hidden behind a tree.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - smokie
If it was hidden I wouldn't have seen it!! As I said, observation :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 23 Feb 16 at 10:45
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Zero
If I dont know the area, its lane 1 for me. Usually the least stress and the fastest.

If I do the area a lot, I know what lane to be in at what place to make best progress.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 23 Feb 16 at 10:55
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - sooty123
I tend to just stick to one lane, I'm rarely in a rush. Although I can't remember the last time I had to drive anywhere in rush hour traffic.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Old Navy
In the slightly more rural bit of up here you sometimes get people trying a risky overtake to arrive somewhere a couple of car lengths before the overtaken. The same ones that lane weave?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 23 Feb 16 at 11:29
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - movilogo
Most fuel economic way to progress is to set cruise control at 54 MPH in lane 1.

At this speed, impatient lorries will overtake you to maintain their 56 MPH. Thus, you can travel miles after miles without pressing brake at all.

Often this is fastest (and safest) way to travel as well.

Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Manatee
Lorry drivers will also sit up your chuff until they are able to pull out. And it takes a certain mindset to be content with always being in somebody's way.

I can't do it, even when I want to dawdle I always maintain a clear space between me and a 56mph wagon behind, speeding up with a press on the cruise and overtaking if necessary.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Fursty Ferret
The chunk of the M25 I have to suffer when driving clockwise is always fastest in lane 4 at rush hour. So that's where I sit, with the cruise control set to 76 mph and a decent podcast to listen to.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Tue 23 Feb 16 at 16:44
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Bill Payer
>> M25 .....rush hour.....76 mph
>>
Seriously?
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Alanovich
In an Airbus, maybe.
He did say CC 'set to 76...' His V60 has an adaptive CC (I know - don't knock till you've tried, but I reckon you want to be in full control in heavy traffic that might stop at any moment; unless perhaps the car can detect this better than I can) so it could be set to 76 and actually travelling at 7.6.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - DP
Local knowledge and lane swapping can save you 10 minutes easily on the couple of mile stretch of the southbound A30 from Camberley to Blackwater.

For starters, the bus lane that runs from the Atrium to the lights at the Frimley Road junction is part time (Mon-Fri 7-9:30 AM and 4-7 PM) and my only conclusion is people can't read road signs because whatever time of day you go along there, almost everyone sits in the near constant half mile queue for the lights and leaves it empty. It means that outside of weekday rush hour you can drive straight up the inside of the queue, and straight up to the lights, both lanes of which can be used to go straight ahead. And yes, people sometimes honk their horns and flash. The only reason they are sitting there and not doing what you are doing is because they are stupid.

Then when you get to the Blackwater Bridge there are two sets of lights in close succession. If you want to go straight on, you can use either lane at the first set, but the left lane only at the second. On the approach to the first set, the left lane is always queued way back over the bridge and back towards the Meadows roundabout, and the right lane is always clear. About 2 cars in every 10 turn left at the 1st set of lights, so you risk the faster moving right hand lane, and then gamble that you will overtake someone turning left, at the first set of lights, so you can safely move to the left lane for the second set. It usually works out if you're on the ball. If not, I can go right if I need to, and it only adds a minute or so to my journey home, but can count on one hand the number of times this has happened.

You can do all this without breaking any laws, speed limits, or cutting anyone up. :-) I'm sure the same applies to lots of local roads.

Last edited by: DP on Tue 23 Feb 16 at 17:00
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Alastairw
Took the car into town in the rush hour for the first time in three years today - a good reminder of why I go by bus most days. I do move from lane to lane a bit, but only to avoid known pinch points eg: where I know there always parked cars in the inside lane, or the outer will be blocked by right turners.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Armel Coussine
Doesn't everyone change lanes when necessary? I do.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - TheManWithNoName
I recently drove my son to the Olympic pool and it involved driving down the M11. At the point where it becomes two lanes it slowed down to a crawl. I was amazed how many motorists came from lane 3 or 2 then crossed the white hatchings and under took the cars on inside lane by using one of the onslip roads. They proceeded to rejoin the motorway and were let in by vehicles further up the queue oblivious to it.
>> Most fuel economic way to progress is to set cruise control at 54 MPH in
>> lane 1.
>>
>> At this speed, impatient lorries will overtake you to maintain their 56 MPH. Thus, you
>> can travel miles after miles without pressing brake at all.
>>
>> Often this is fastest (and safest) way to travel as well.
>>
>>

No, you are deliberately being a PITA.
Not often I agree with the matelot but deliberately provoking HGVs into unnecessary lane changes is selfish at best and arguably dangerous. It certainly increases the collective blood pressure of the road users as a group, which is never a good thing. Don't do it.
The Highway Code rule 144 bullet point 3 applies.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Dutchie
I agree about knowledge on local roads.

Where I have to get to from town to our home is sticking to the outside lane.

It often means breaking the speed limit on a 40mph dual carriageway and no pedestrian crossings 45 to 50 mph is the norm.If caught out in the inside lane it means half hr extra to get home.Traffic turning left and big tailbacks are the problem on the round abouts.This is driving in night time rush hr.
>> Most fuel economic way to progress is to set cruise control at 54 MPH in
>> lane 1.
>>
>> At this speed, impatient lorries will overtake you to maintain their 56 MPH. Thus, you
>> can travel miles after miles without pressing brake at all.
>>
If that's indicated 54MPH then you may only be doing about 50. I find most trucks are nudging an indicated 60MPH on my cars speedo.

>> Often this is fastest (and safest) way to travel as well.
>>
My uncle used to do that - for work he regularly (perhaps monthly) had to drive from the NW to Scotland.

Three times he was in big accidents with lorries. Did well to survive. The inertia in a truck is tremendous so not good to be in the way.
>> I tend to just stick to one lane, I'm rarely in a rush. Although I
>> can't remember the last time I had to drive anywhere in rush hour traffic.
>>

It hardly seems to matter. I've ceased being amazed at how busy roads like the M6 NW to Midlands are all day. Had a very slow journey home (back to NW) mid-week late evening last week. Many motorways are the same now.

I'm sure the low price of fuel doesn't help! :)
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - sooty123
> It hardly seems to matter. I've ceased being amazed at how busy roads like the M6 NW to Midlands are all day. Had a very slow journey home (back to NW) mid-week late evening last week. Many motorways are the same now.

I probably should have written 'busy'. Rarely seem to end up on roads that are busy these days. Used to though, don't miss it in the slightest.
 Are you a lane changer in rush hour traffic? - Dutchie
I try to avoid rush hr traffic being retired does help.If I am stuck in it I have to accept it every where you go roads are full.

The MPV is comfortable I have a good vieuw of traffic ahead.
Latest Forum Posts