Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 31   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 106

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 31 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 32 *****

==============================================================

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 27 Aug 16 at 17:16

New qualifying rules ? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35650699

New qualifying rules ? - Westpig
The qualifying idea looks interesting.

New qualifying rules ? - Boxsterboy
Bernie Ecclestone is reported to have said that Formula 1 has become boring to watch. Which reminded me of Gerald Ratner's prawn sandwich moment. He's right, but he shouldn't say it out loud.

New qualifying rules ? - Dutchie
Maybe he should.It used to be exciting to watch.

My favorite commentator was James Hunt dry sense of humor,never over the top.

New qualifying rules ? - Dutchie
They all start with a full tank.With the fuel changes there use to be some excitement.Fuel tactics was important.

Changing the tyres can keep you awake how long it takes by the fastest team.

New qualifying rules ? - Robin O'Reliant
>>With the fuel changes there use to be some excitement.
>>
>>
>>
Especially when a car caught fire.

First halos - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35714906

Slightly glum prospect - Armel Coussine
I mean the upcoming F1 season which could be another McLaren Mercedes silverwash.

Too soon to see the shape of the season, I hope. Ferrari is always there, and these energy drink cars have cheery pilots, so we can hope for the best.

Slightly glum prospect - Robin O'Reliant
After seeing the qualifying result I decided not to bother with this race and probably the rest of the season. Mercedes versus Mercedes with the commentators feigning excitement over the thrilling battle for tenth place doesn't do it for me.

BTW, no wonder you can never find your posts, AC. This should be in the F1 and motorsports thread which has been running for the last fifty or sixty years.
 Slightly glum prospect - Armel Coussine
>> This should be in the F1 and motorsports thread which has been running for the last fifty or sixty years.

Oh damn, sorry.

Only move it if you can be bothered, Webbenmeister.

Slightly glum prospect - Runfer D'Hills
Oh do leave him alone, I rather like people who aren't conventional or predictable, it's called Car 4 "Play" remember.

Not everything in life has to be in a little box.

Keep surprising us AC, some of us love it!

;-)

Slightly glum prospect - R.P.
:-).....Ro'R has a point...some poor dab has to keep looking for AC's missing posts.....(tongue in cheek by the way) :-)........x 1000

Slightly glum prospect - Robin O'Reliant
I should perhaps add that my post was TiC too. I wasn't having a dig at poor old AC, as I'm sure he understood.

Slightly glum prospect - henry k
After the total fiasco of practice the race result seems familiar to last season.
C4 trying a bit too hard ?

www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/20/channel-4-f1-melbourne-qualifying

With the loooong commercial breaks, in future I will be recording the recording.

Good job Alonso did not need a Halo. It looks like the kitty litter caused the major part of his accident and flung him to the barrier.

No mention of the louder exhausts so I assume they had no real impact.

Slightly glum prospect - Manatee
>> After the total fiasco of practice

Qualifying?

Now abandoned for the rest of the season and they will revert to the old system.

Watched it on recording of recorded highlights. There were a lot of adverts to skip through.

When I saw Alonso's car I thought he was a goner, but it had actually been smashed about, mainly by rolling and bouncing, before it hit the barrier that stopped it. An accident, but self-inflicted more or less as he had clipped the back of Gutiérrez and become airborne.

Slightly glum prospect - rtj70
How they hadn't figured the new qualifying format was stupid I have no idea. I suspect the top 2 or 3 drivers could have tried a little harder/longer but finishing early got their point across.

But in the previous/original system, until you missed out on the next stage there was always a chance. You wouldn't get a no-hoper in a poor car through to Q2 let alone Q1. But Kvyat went out in Q1.

When I saw Alonso's car I thought it looked pretty bad but didn't think he'd be in too much bother. Saw him out of it and then saw the car again. He's a lucky chap today.

>>An accident, but self-inflicted more or less as he had clipped the back of Gutiérrez and become airborne.

Clipping the back of another car was the initial cause but the kitty litter IIRC is designed to slow a car when it is driven/projected into it nose or tail first. Alons's seemed to go sideways and hitting the "safety feature" seemed to stort it rolling.
The main thing is he escaped OK.

Slightly glum prospect - Tigger
I watched the qualifying. And then decided that I wasn't going to bother watching F1 this year. Yes, I know that they're reverting to the old ways, but it highlighted to me that I'd had enough.

And that's after 30+ years of watching every race, including travelling to SIlverstone a number of times.

I might go to watch some bike racing this year instead.

Slightly glum prospect - bathtub tom
I managed to stay awake for all of the CH4 highlights.

Must've been more interesting than last year!

Slightly glum prospect - VxFan
Much prefer Suzi Perry over Steve Jones.

Better on the eye too.
 Slightly glum prospect - Old Navy
She is voicing an advert on Classic FM, can't see her though. :-(

Slightly glum prospect - martin aston
Turned on Sky F1 about 20 mins from the end to find nothing happening. This carried on until one multimillionaire drew close to another multimillionaire but slid off. Another multimillionaire who was leading the whole race was shown once, just as he crossed the finishing line.
These guys are doing something that is dangerous, skillful and courageous, but too often comes across on screen as dull with only the occasional piece of action.
Meanwhile the commentators were raving about the fantastic race as if they were devotees of Kim Jong-in and he'd declared it a national sport.
Drivers warn success of sport could be jeopardised

Formula 1 drivers have demanded change at the top of the sport, saying its decision-making process is "obsolete and ill-structured".
Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) directors Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel and Alex Wurz have written a letter on behalf of the drivers.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35882820

F1 no longer to be on free to air - Tigger
Apart from the British GP, you'll need to subscribe to sky from 2019. I won't be bothering

www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/23/sky-buys-exclusive-rights-to-all-formula-one

F1 no longer to be on free to air - John Boy
By 2019 they'll be driverless anyway.

F1 no longer to be on free to air - Skip
Unless,something drastic happens to liven it up I doubt that there will be anyone left watching it by 2019 !
 F1 no longer to be on free to air - Robin O'Reliant
I won't miss it.
 F1 no longer to be on free to air - Zero
I've gone form the bloke who used to get up at 5:00am to watch it live from Japan, to Meah "who cares"
 F1 no longer to be on free to air - Tigger
Even after the winter off, I haven't yet bothered watching the weekend's race. I think that's me done, after 30 years.
 F1 no longer to be on free to air - Zero
I can't work out how Bernie hasn't figured out that the audience is dwindling faster than the money from sky is going up.

The sponsors are bound to remind him sooner or later.
 F1 no longer to be on free to air - Alastairw
I would hope that some sort of highlights programme would continue on free to air TV, a la Match of the Day. Over the last couple of years I have enjoyed the highlight show more than the live races.

F1 no longer to be on free to air - rtj70
One thing that has made F1 too predictable and boring is reliability. And the things are so reliable they restrict the number of engines allowed per season and the power outputs.

I say let them develop in season and allow them to get whatever they can out of the power units. I suppose one aspect of unreliable in the past was lower precision when making components.

F1 these days can be very boring.

F1 no longer to be on free to air - sooty123
>> I can't work out how Bernie hasn't figured out that the audience is dwindling faster
>> than the money from sky is going up.
>>

probably going gaga he must be a hundred years old, he certainly looks it.
 F1 no longer to be on free to air - Manatee
I see Sky sports costs £330 a year. And people resent paying £145.50 for the BBC.

Sky won't see a bean from me.

F1 no longer to be on free to air - smokie
I see Sky is going up by 8% soon.

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/bad-news-you-sky-customer-11075816

F1 no longer to be on free to air - Westpig
>> Sky won't see a bean from me.
>>
Couldn't do without it.

It's the choice that has us hooked... and 'catch up' is v handy.

F1 no longer to be on free to air - VxFan
>> I won't be bothering

Me neither.

F1 no longer to be on free to air - smokie
Haven't you all been saying this every year for the past few years? :-)

The last race was OK to good in my book, for an F1 race. The quallies was a bit odd but I'd have probably got used to it. It seemed to have pretty much the same outcome as the old style to me. The Ch4 presentation was OK except the ads - I quite liked the team they had doing it. The race had its moments. There is much better racing around but unfortunately most of it doesn't make it to the small screen mainstream channels. So it'll do for me, for another year (tho I won't be getting obsessive about watching it!!)

F1 no longer to be on free to air - VxFan
>> Haven't you all been saying this every year for the past few years? :-)

Nope, not me.

However, I certainly won't be paying to watch it in the future though.

Verstappen first F1 win. - Dutchie
Max Emillia Verstappen sounds like a Roman Emperor.Good luck to the kid he has that certain arrogance and confidence to make it far in F1.

Mistakes by Mercedes but there you go Max took his change and looked after the car and tyres.

Great achievement for a 18 year youngster.

Verstappen first F1 win. - Old Navy
Not Dutch by any chance is he? He certainly had a lot of luck on his side with the two fastest cars out on the first lap. A determined and skilled young man, given the right car he could do well.

Verstappen first F1 win. - Westpig
Cracking race... and well done Max Verstappen

Verstappen first F1 win. - jc2
Best race for years!
 Hamilton/Rosberg incident - Westpig
My verdict: racing incident...

Hamilton sniffed a gap, with good momentum off the corner.. whilst Rosberg tried to close the gap, but was on the wrong engine setting and wasn't quick enough.

So, slight mistake by Rosberg and Hamilton being quite aggressive.

Slightly Rosberg's fault... but not enough to declare more than racing incident...as Hamilton has part to play.

Verstappen first F1 win. - Roger.
Hamilton to Rosberg "*****&&&^^^%%%%$$)()() "
Rosberg to Hamilton "That'll larn you"

Monaco GP - Armel Coussine
I thought it was going to be a processional bore, but it turned out quite interesting in the event.

Team tactics, and team orders, caused some drivers great irritation.

Monaco GP - Westpig
Ricciardo was hard done by... c'est la vie.

Monaco GP - smokie
Feel a bit sorry for Verstappen, after getting promotion he stuffed two cars over the weekend. Wonder if they'll take it out of his pay rise?

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Rudedog
Toyota blew it with 3 laps to go handing the Porsche #2 car their 18th win, Audi still using diesel power came in 3 & 4.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Runfer D'Hills
Le Mans is on my bucket list of "stuff to do before it's too late" not sure why I've not done it before.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - legacylad
Funny but it doesn't appeal to me. I think my days of watching any Motorsport live are over. Previously I attended several British GPs, regularly marshalled on Mintex Rally, followed the RAC rally in Nov over 3 days, and the Scottish in June. Went to the Manx Rally every Sept for a few years.
Nowadays I'd rather just go off for a few days backpacking with a friend, even if it's only the Forest of Bowland or a remote route in the Lakes.
Or better still the Sierra Nevada....I definitely appreciate 'nature made' these days far more than 'man made' and can quite happily spend several hours contemplating a remote mountain lake and the odd swim rather than the noise & buzz of a Motorsport event.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - No FM2R
>> I'd rather just go off for a few days backpacking

Its a funny thing. I really loved touring car and all that stuff. I used to spend hours involved in RAC rallies.

But I agree, the back country stuff, especially late at night or early morning, is just so rewarding.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - ....
Do it, but not when 24hLeMan is on.
The museum is amazing, the cars are unbelievable and the track, well you'd need something like a Caterham or Westfield to appreciate it if you didn't have something quick like two wheels.

I've been away for some time, not a big contributor here but recent developments have made me think I really do not want to be here.

Self appointed internet Police is a scary development.

Wish you all the best and maybe see some of you around but this latest stuff is not for me.
 Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - legacylad
Then buenas noches amigo gmac
I know what you mean

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Westpig
>> Then buenas noches amigo gmac
>> I know what you mean
>>
I don't..can you explain, please?

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Bromptonaut
>> >> Then buenas noches amigo gmac
>> >> I know what you mean
>> >>
>> I don't..can you explain, please?

Glad somebody said that and pleased it was you rather than one of my fellow 'do gooders' :-P

PLenty of robust debate here but, barring removal of the odd truly offensive post, I've seen no evidence of a subset of self appointed censors.

>>Do it, but not when 24hLeMan is on.

If you're still reading....

But surely even though I am sure it is packed and prices doubles, the atmosphere makes it worthwhile?

I fancy it, but I'd probably make a point of going when the 24h is on. Worrying to think I might be that wrong.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Duncan
>> Wish you all the best and maybe see some of you around but this latest stuff is not for me.

Everybody except me seems to know who this poster is.

When I hover over their username .... (four dots) nothing happens. With everyone else I get their posting history if I click on the name.

Would anyone like to explain to me what it's all about?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 10:18

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - VxFan
>> Would anyone like to explain to me what it's all about?

He asked for his account and any other details to be deleted.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Duncan
>> >> Would anyone like to explain to me what it's all about?
>>
>> He asked for his account and any other details to be deleted.

So, it's a flounce?

Are we allowed to know who has flounced?

>> So, it's a flounce?

No, he asked to have all his details removed following some of the antics in the flooding thread.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 12:53

So yes, its a flounce.

Because he could have quietly done it himsel .

>> Because he could have quietly done it himsel .

Granted, he could have changed his email address and username himself, but he asked for ALL his details to be removed from the system. If he'd have done it himself, then he would have still been on the system in some capacity or other.

>> No, he asked to have all his details removed following some of the antics in
>> the flooding thread.

Thanks for the clarification there. My initial thought was that it was a compliant over an issue in the In/Out thread or some other matter of politics.

The real reason makes more sense.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - rtj70
I'm glad he saw sense to have his details removed after suggesting he'd offload a flood damaged car to an unsuspecting buyer. To have his full name and rough location in his profile was foolish in the least if he was going to do what he suggested.

He could have got himself in a bit of bother had he done what he says he would.

e.g. someone has an iffy car they have just bought and come to a motoring website for advice. But find instead someone who was selling the car on after it was in 12 inches of flood water.

I still think he's wrong to drive around in it - that water was not clean and will have been full of bacteria and all sorts.

>> I'm glad he saw sense to have his details removed after suggesting he'd offload a
>> flood damaged car to an unsuspecting buyer.

You are confused.

GMAC asked to have his details removed after posting that he didn't really post much and didn't want to post anymore.

The flooded car man has not commented one way or another.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 13:15

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - rtj70
I assumed it was him - wrong to assume and all that.

'Four dots' was previously gmac, his post indicates he's leaving. Previous flouncers (eg Gordon Bennet, 'punctuated' themselves but their profile remained.

Whether,in this case, the four dots and absence of a profile are his work or those of the mods is not clear.

EDIT - Vx has explained.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 10:22

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Ian (Cape Town)
Fair do to Neel Jani.
He's a damn good driver, and has always been on the fringes - when compared to F1.
A1GP champion, and now Le Mans top boy.
Interviewed him a few years back at the RedBull event in Cape Town and he was a hell of a nice chap, and we had a good laugh and chatted cars and Swiss racing for ages.

Le Mans 24Hr 2016 - Rudedog
I remember seeing the 919 and Audi R18 e-tron at last years GFoS (hopefully they will be there this week) and was amazed at what was inside them, and the crazy noise they made when warming up, the ultra high whine of the battery regeneration system was cool.

Baku, European Grand Prix - VxFan
Although sometimes F1 can be dull, the new street circuit at Baku threw up some surprises. No safety car throughout the race, either virtual or the real thing made an appearance. Considering how tight a circuit that was, as well as high speeds in places it was a miracle no one went off.

And then there was Hamilton having a pit conversation at flat out speeds, trying to negotiate some tight and twisty corners with metal barriers millimetres from his wheels while also trying to make adjustments to his steering wheel because of an incorrect setting. Some people cannot even change the radio station on their stereos without causing a drama.

And the only naughty word to come out of Hamilton's mouth was "freaking". Imagine if it was Kimi Raikkonen or Sebastian Vettel. They were throwing toys out the pram, cursing and swearing all over the radio back to the pits just because other drivers wouldn't get out of their way.

Baku, European Grand Prix - rtj70
I was surprised there was no safety car - I think some of the teams had planned for one too with their strategy.

Hamilton's conversation with his pit had me wondering what information they managed to pass on in coded form. He knows they cannot tell him what was wrong and what he should change. And yet he asked.... and then sorted it. :-)

Austrian GP - VxFan
You knew it was going to end in tears for either Rosberg or Hamilton once they started tussling for the lead on the final lap of the race. Just like other German racing drivers, Rosberg fought dirty, but came worse off. He got off lightly with a 10 second penalty (which didn't affect his final position of coming 4th) and two licence penalty points on his licence (allowed 12 in a season).

Austrian GP - rtj70
Hamilton forced his initial error and it turns out Hamilton was on the right tyre to push on. Rosberg was definitely in the wrong - just glad it was him that damaged his own car.

If the rules say he should have stopped the car because it was dangerous, he should have been disqualified. The points on the licence was a bit of a light punishment.

Austrian GP - Armel Coussine
Rosberg took an unnecessarily wide line round the last proper corner forcing Hamilton onto the runoff. It was very obvious, but our boy enjoys a challenge...

Thousands of quid's worth of fibreglass shards all over the road cutting up thousands of quid's worth of rubber. It isn't every GP that ends in a shower of sparks.

Austrian GP - VxFan
>> It isn't every GP that ends in a shower of sparks.

Or loads of boos from the race fans towards the winner, which were undeserved IMHO.

Austrian GP - henry k
>> >> It isn't every GP that ends in a shower of sparks.
>>
>> Or loads of boos from the race fans towards the winner, which were undeserved IMHO.
>>
I understand that the Austrian commentary blamed LH and that was reason for the booing response.

Austrian GP - Manatee
>> If the rules say he should have stopped the car because it was dangerous, he
>> should have been disqualified. The points on the licence was a bit of a light
>> punishment.

Not every infraction carries a penalty of disqualification.

There wasn't a driver in that race who wouldn't have carried on, whistling and pretending he didn't know his car was shedding pieces, to get it over the line for whatever points he could salvage.

That was what Rosberg got the points for. He got only a 10 second penalty (which made no difference) for the collision, which seemed lenient to me.

www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/rosberg-penalised--stays-fourth--after-hamilton-clash.html

Rosberg is very very fast but he does not IMO have Hamilton's finesse in those situations.

At best he was thinking of the twice that Hamilton has run him out of road on the exit of corners, before he clumsily urinated on his own chips in a failed payback attempt; at worst, he deliberately tried to 'take out' Hamilton, knowing that for neither to finish would have been better for him than for Hamilton to finish ahead.

The reason for the stewards' leniency was probably that Rosberg had already lost out as a result of his action.

Austrian GP - Manatee
www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/7/Race__Hamilton_takes_victory_after_late_tangle_with_Rosberg.html

Austrian GP - rtj70
>> should have stopped the car because it was dangerous

The IT in that sentence was the car which was dangerous.

Austrian GP - smokie
Rosberg was trying a dirty trick to keep his position but it backfired on him. Got what he deserved. I bet Toto had a few choice words for him afterwards - he's previously spoken strongly about them fighting each other.

Silverstone & Ch 4 - smokie
Well done Lewis, he gets more bling by the week (see the gold chains during yesterday's interview?) but at least he is a bit of a character, he's good with the press and especially good with the fans.

Channel 4 coverage is impressive and had a great team for Silverstone (well , except Eddie!). Coulthard & Webber do a great job, Chandhok is a bit technical and needs to brush up his presentation skills but was very enjoyable, and Suzie Wolff has been real catch. Add her old man (Toto) who's only popped up on the screens relatively recently as a likeable team boss (along with Christian Horner) and the whole shebang was really quiet watchable - I mean the pre-race chatter as much as the race itself.

Silverstone is a great circuit and there was some good racing yesterday. It's a shame they had to start the race under the safety car but when you saw the conditions, and the difficulty the drivers had keeping their cars on track even at slow speeds, it was a good decision. I was surprised that Mercedes fell foul of the radio rules, I suppose they thought it was safety info they were giving him and didn't think twice about it, but the commentators were straight onto it.

Silverstone & Ch 4 - Duncan
>> I was surprised that Mercedes fell foul of the
>> radio rules, I suppose they thought it was safety info they were giving him and
>> didn't think twice about it, but the commentators were straight onto it.
>>

I caught bits of that. What happened?

Silverstone & Ch 4 - VxFan
>> I was surprised that Mercedes fell foul of the radio rules

I wasn't, and he was lucky to only escape with a slap on the wrists. In effect, the team helped him limp the car home.
Hamilton had a problem with some settings a couple of races ago and was told to leave things alone as the team couldn't help him, but he eventually figured out what was wrong and corrected it himself.
Rosberg's gearbox was playing up in 7th gear. Something he could have also worked out for himself.

Radio use / abuse - henry k
What a mess.
Rosberg got a slap on the wrist so other teams will exploit things from now on.
The car went wrong so that is life.
Try another cog in the box or if that fails park it.

If the report in the Wail is correct ( Yes I know its the Wail)

Headlines like "Rosberg pays the price for gear fiasco."
IMO he got fantastic value for what happened.He got some points when IMO he should have been left to use his brains and probably got zero points.

" The gearbox would have failed" protested Rosberg " It was a very critical problem because I was about to stop on track. I needed to fix it"

I always understood that if a car failed it stopped so get a lift back to the pits.
You cannot expect a virtual AA man to sort your problem out over the radio.

What a joke.

Radio use / abuse - smokie
His gearbox was giving up and the pits told him not to use 7th, as that was seen as providing assistance. From www.motorsport.com/f1/news/radio-messages-in-full-rosberg-and-engineer-on-his-gearbox-issue-797513/

Rosberg: “Gearbox problem.”

Engineer: “Driver default 1-0-1, chassis default 0-1, chassis default 0-1.”

Engineer: “Avoid seventh gear, Nico, avoid seventh gear.”

Rosberg: “What does that mean, I have to shift through it?”

Engineer: “Affirm Nico, you need to shift through it. Affirm, you need to shift through it.”
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 11 Jul 16 at 10:26

Here is a fuller description of the incident along with what is and isn't allowed. www.racecar-engineering.com/blogs/rosberg-radio-rule-breach-explained/#

I'm not quite clear what Henry's rant is about but I get that he's not a Rosberg fan :-)

Radio use / abuse - sooty123
Not a big follower of F1, but i don't have any issues with what happened its a team for a reason. Plus there's a whole list of things that they can say to assist and make life easier for the driver.

I suppose it keeps someone in a job though.

Radio use / abuse - VxFan
>> You cannot expect a virtual AA man to sort your problem out over the radio.

I know a man who can though

www.vauxhall.co.uk/onstar/index.html#VehicleDiagnostic

Radio use / abuse - Duncan
>> I know a man who can though
>>
>> www.vauxhall.co.uk/onstar/index.html#VehicleDiagnostic
>>

Does that mean that one has to use a Vauxhall in order to avail onesself of this this service?

In that case......

Radio use / abuse - tyrednemotional
...maybe Nico's punishment should be to drive one in the next race.......

That should cure him...

Lots of discussion on this before yesterday's Hungarian quallies. They have changed the game in that they have now told the teams what they can say, rather than what they can't, in an effort to clarify. However the team principals they spoke to, along with the presenting team, seemed unanimously against, saying it is not good for the fans.

It was a good qualifying session, rain and it's consequences played a big part early on. I'm looking forward to the race.

Radio use / abuse - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Lots of discussion ... it is not good for the fans.
>>
How so?
I wish to see a race, where the best drivers do well, based on their ability, instinct and awareness.
NOT some scripted parade.
What other sport has a 'coach' in constant contact with the players?

Football was the example they gave. :-)

>> Football was the example they gave. :-)
>>
Yep, you have a game plan, but there's a big difference between having a coach gesticulating from the sideline, and having a coach talking in your ear, telling you what to do, and when.

There's also a big difference between punting round a ball to people you can see, maybe even having not much to do for the odd few minutes (and when there is something to do, taking a short lie down instead), and being in sole control of a potentially lethal 180+mph skateboard being driven to it's limit for 90 minutes, sometimes in adverse weather conditions, while not being able to see very well where you are going, let alone what your competition is up to and with a whole raft of complex technology to cope with as well as all that.

But each to his own... :-)

"They have changed the game in that they have now told the teams what they can say, rather than what they can't, in an effort to clarify."

I can see the logic in this, smokie.
To have somebody stage-manage the drive is bad, IMHO. To give 'legit' information is another thing altogether.

Radio use / abuse - henry k
Do I care any more?
Cars too complicated for a guy to drive so lets have a team help him.

All this is to advance the development of road cars?
When can I buy the latest greatest tyres that wear out early ?:-)

Next season I might be able to watch a highly edited hour of the circus or maybe give it a miss.

I do hope the Tour de France continues on ITV4 or is Sky about to grab that too?

I doubt anyone cares that you don't care Henry, but even though you don't like it, it is still the pinnacle of motor sport, which has a huge following throughout the world.

Please, if you don't like it, don't feel obliged to watch it just so you can moan about it, just do something you enjoy instead. :-)

Radio use / abuse - Manatee
We already have a situation in which it is difficult to tell who is "winning" - drivers have to manage both total fuel used and maximum flow rate, tyre wear and temperature, brake wear and temperature, and engine life.

The more information that we hear passed between driver and team, the more interesting it is. And if it means that the team can give the driver information that will help him get the best speed from the car, we will have better racing.

The idea that the team can tell the driver how to drive is a bit far fetched. They could for example tell the driver that he is losing time by braking 20 yards sooner than his team mate, not getting on the throttle as early, or lifting unnecessarily but the driver still has it to do and that requires skill and risk taking.

Hungarian GP - Armel Coussine
Did anyone else find today's race a tiny bit boring? Just a tiny bit... when the qualifying leaders run away in front it can hardly be otherwise.

I know, I know, Ferrari made a showing and the smiling Aussie Red Bull chap did too. Good to see them scowling (Ferrari) and smiling on or near the podium.

Perhaps all Formula 1 racing is a tiny bit boring. But it's the pinnacle of motor racing so one has to watch it, hmmmm?

Hungarian GP - John Boy
>> Perhaps all Formula 1 racing is a tiny bit boring. But it's the pinnacle of motor racing so one has to watch it, hmmmm?

Errm, no, one doesn't. It's boring, full stop.

Hungarian GP - No FM2R
It comes to something when the highlights are boring.

Hungarian GP - Manatee
Technically there are no highlights:)

On the radio business, Button was given a drive through because of a discussion on brake problems. The pedal was on the floor. Before telling him how to fix it, the team diagnosed lack of hydraulic pressure and told him not to change gear (the brakes and gearbox both use the hydraulic system).

Given that comms are allowed for necessary safety issues, the stewards don't appear to have followed their own rules.

Hungarian GP - Slidingpillar
On the radio business, Button was given a drive through because of a discussion on brake problems. The pedal was on the floor. Before telling him how to fix it, the team diagnosed lack of hydraulic pressure and told him not to change gear (the brakes and gearbox both use the hydraulic system).

Given that comms are allowed for necessary safety issues, the stewards don't appear to have followed their own rules.

Pretty well what Button said later...

Hungarian GP - madf
I have long given up following it..
Makes watching paint dry more exciting.

Latest Forum Posts