Motoring Discussion > The trouble with sunny days... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 52

The trouble with sunny days... - Runfer D'Hills
...is that your car, if it hasn't been washed since Christmas, looks like a skip. I've just loaded the mountain bikes on top of mine and they haven't been cleaned since...oh I don't know, a long time ago either.

Today is my first full day off in 3 weeks and while it's quite chilly, the sun is bright and the skies are blue. It'll be fabulous in the almost budding forest today but that will result in the bikes, ourselves and the car getting even muddier.

The car is too dirty even to take it to the nice Eastern Europeans at Sainsburys later so I might try to find my bucket and sponge this afternoon.

Or, given that it'll do nigh on 1500 miles again this week, maybe I'll just rely on it raining one day!

The trouble with sunny days... - sooty123
> The car is too dirty even to take it to the nice Eastern Europeans at
>> Sainsburys later so I might try to find my bucket and sponge this afternoon.
>>

Flipping 'eck it be bad!
 The trouble with sunny days... - Dog
>>it'll do nigh on 1500 miles again this week, maybe I'll just rely on it raining one day!

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.
 The trouble with sunny days... - mikeyb
I know what you mean, and I've recently discovered that the CT doesn't really get very well cleaned in an automatic car wash - it misses big parts of the front doors and the tailgate because the brush moves out over the spoiler and misses most of the back.

Next week I'm flying out of Birmingham so have elected to pay Airparks the extra 9.99 to wash it while its in their carpark - will be interesting to see how good a job they do / do not make of it.
 The trouble with sunny days... - henry k
>> ... I've recently discovered that the CT doesn't really get very well cleaned in an automatic car wash
>> - it misses big parts of the front doors and the tailgate because the brush moves out over the spoiler and misses most of the back.
>>
I do not find that sort of problem in my local automatic brushless car wash
 The trouble with sunny days... - R.P.
I bought the 3 Series in September (ish) - it's been washed twice. My neighbours recently complained about it !
 The trouble with sunny days... - sooty123
>> I bought the 3 Series in September (ish) - it's been washed twice. My
>> neighbours recently complained about it !
>>

Some people have too much time on their hands. I hope you told them, if you think it should be washed, crack on.
 The trouble with sunny days... - Falkirk Bairn
>> I bought the 3 Series in September (ish) - it's been washed twice.

More money than sense?

Bought for £££s you could suffer at trade-in time.
Bought on PCP you could suffer with extra charges when returning the car.

Physically I am unable to wash my car but a visit to a carwash (not brushes) every few weeks or
if it is looking dirty sooner can preserve the " new car look".

& funnily enough it seems to drive better & puts a wee smile on my face.
 The trouble with sunny days... - mikeyb
>> >> ... I've recently discovered that the CT doesn't really get very well cleaned in
>> an automatic car wash
>> >> - it misses big parts of the front doors and the tailgate because the
>> brush moves out over the spoiler and misses most of the back.
>> >>
>> I do not find that sort of problem in my local automatic brushless car wash
>>
>>

First time I thought it was the car wash, but have tried other since and all had similar disappointing results. Will try and find if there is a brushless one near me.
>> Will try and find if there is a brushless one near me.
>>
My local one is at a Shell site.
Well, back now, the forest was as predicted absolutely stunning. 28 miles of off-road trails punctuated by some tricky but fun bits.

Found the bucket, can't find the sponge yet, located some car shampoo ( why do they need shampoo when they're not hairy ? )

Suppose I should take the bike racks off the roof to do a proper job, but that would involve finding the special key thingy...it's all too hard really. Now I'll have to turn on the outside tap I guess which means grubbing about under the sink in the dark to find the valve. Where did I put my glasses? Oh hang on I'm wearing them because I've skived off to post on here because it's so damn cold outside now that I'm not on the bike...

Anyway, hopefully the hose hasn't perished over the winter...

Weekends off are quite challenging sometimes.

What's more, 'she' has just reminded me that the Qashqai is going for an MOT tomorrow so would I be a darling and clean it out too now that I've got all the kit out?

Any idea where one can obtain a bio-hazard suit on a Sunday afternoon?
 The trouble with sunny days... - Fursty Ferret
I'm on standby today with a metaphorical piece of string keeping me within two hours drive of Heathrow. In practical terms that means stuck at home while it's sunny.

On the bright side, the garage is almost empty; I've finally tracked down the keys to the roof rack; half the contents of the house are now at the charity shop and I'm nearly half way through GTA 5.

On the downside, I'm bored rigid and want to ride my bike. :-(
Just out of curiousity, where were the keys to the roof rack? I've been looking for inspiration in that direction for a while now...I know I had them less than a year ago and I expect I put them somewhere safe. Like you do. Having said that, if I do find them and take it off, I'll only have to put it on again next weekend. Life's hard sometimes isn't it?
>> Just out of curiousity, where were the keys to the roof rack?
>> I've been looking for inspiration in that direction for a while now..
>>
Some Thule locks have the key number stamped on them so you can get some replacements....then you can stop fretting about them....:-)
Well, that's good to know, and indeed my bike racks are Thule. Ironically, I have the keys to them. The roof bars are Ateras though and I don't exactly, at this current time, have the faintest...

Not going to worry about it today. Be dark soon and the dog is glaring at me due to being unwalked.

Now have a black car and a red car on the drive instead of two brown ones highlighted with salt though.

;-)
 The trouble with sunny days... - legacylad
Talking of roof racks, last one I had was on my 205 GTI ( B211 UCP). Carried my windsurfer. Big heavy old thing with a long mast...big overhangs and red dusters at both ends. Then I bought my first VW Transporter ( H273 XCX), the first of three, and never needed one again!!
>> Just out of curiousity, where were the keys to the roof rack?
>>

Fastened to the little torque wrench used to put it on and off. Which makes sense if you think about it...
Ah, good thinking Batman !

If only I knew where that was...

Progress though, progress...
All 3 roadworthy bikes, checked over for new season. Started tidying the garage and finding stuff...quite randomly I've just found an ex-Army Metrological balloon......bloomin' heck - where did that come from
 The trouble with sunny days... - Robin O'Reliant
Mrs O'Reliant has hinted that her car needs a wash (We all know what hinted means). It's far cleaner than mine and I have no intention of washing that, but to keep the peace...:-(
Five months to the service and the annual wash for the V60. The rubbish bins - I mean, footwells, probably need emptying but I tend to leave them full as it discourages people from asking for lifts.
FF, hope you keep the foot wells cleaner in the Airbus. Wouldn't want an emptycan of Red Bull getting stuck under the brake pedal. Short enough runway as it is at LBA!
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 28 Feb 16 at 15:25
 The trouble with sunny days... - Ted

Son stayed the night after a boozy manthrash locally. I'd promised SWM that I'd fit a new heater fan card in the Note so I got the lad to do it for me and she now has all 4 fan speeds back. It's not been washed since around November so I took it to see the Eastern boys for a five pound special. The local one was too busy so I went to the one on the A5103 and had it done there. Glorious day here in Arcadia, cold but no windchill to make it even colder.

Checked the oil on the Suzuki and it's in need of quite a lot so that's a job for tomorrow as I haven't any in stock. Had a late lunch and came on here for a nosey.

Football at 1630....bottle of Jennings Cumberland waiting for that. Chillie con Carne after the final whistle with another bottle...perhaps.
Many years ago I seem to remember that neighbours always cleaned their cars of a Sunday morning, kind of a ritual thing. Go to church, clean car, Sunday roast on the table at 12.
I had a regular car cleaning round when I was about 12/13 yo....think I cleaned 3 or 4 cars each Sunday am, starting around 8:30. Sunday lunch then off to local golf course to caddy... I carried the bag for a Mr Watson with a blue Rover 2000 most Sundays.
Saved enough to buy my own car at 17, a second hand p/ex Mini Clubman estate from next door neighbour who was a car salesman.
These days I only clean my car monthly... Stihl pressure washer and hose in garage so a 25 minute job. Interior is always immaculate. Guess I'm pernickety about certain things.
I'm similar in that the inside of mine is always clean but the outside, well... and Her's has things growing in it that haven't yet been identified by science.
 The trouble with sunny days... - Dutchie
That is a lot of miles a week Runfer.

Live at the top can be tough.>:)
If only I could aspire to any meaningful altitude Dutchie ! I suspect life at the real top is somewhat more rewarding. Being in the middle somewhere seems to be the worst of all worlds sometimes. When things are going well the ones at the helm strongly suspect themselves of genius and when they don't go so well they strongly suspect you of failure.

'Twas ever thus I suppose.

;-)
 The trouble with sunny days... - Old Navy
Poo has always run downhill.

You can't be too far down it if you have an LEC for a company van. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 28 Feb 16 at 17:34
tinyurl.com/jdyuhpc

Bit rude so don't click if you are bothered...
 The trouble with sunny days... - Armel Coussine
I do love a coarse joke Humph. Keep them coming comrade.
 The trouble with sunny days... - Dutchie
Youngest son girlfriend drives about 20000 miles in six months.She has a good job with a food company.Inside of her car was like a dustbin when they visited us.

I'm retired so spend a while hoovering the inside of the car.The things we do for family.
>>What's more, 'she' has just reminded me that the Qashqai is going for an MOT tomorrow...

She's just rung me to say they've given her a new diesel Nissan Note as a loaner. Disturbingly she says she rather likes it, even more worryingly she took to the Micra they loaned her last year.

I'm worried she's on the turn.
 The trouble with sunny days... - Old Navy
Think yourself lucky they didn't give her a Pulsar. That might be a viable choice. :-)
She brought it home a little while ago. Not a thing of great beauty in my opinion but very spacious, huge loadspace with the seats down, 80 mpg allegedly too. This one is black with privacy glass in the back, some smart 15" alloys and plenty of toys. Not sure what model it is but it's a 65 plate diesel manual. She really likes it.

So does her dad who she visited on the way back from the garage. He's 80 though and currently has a 10 year old Fiesta so let's keep all this in context!

Edit - mind you, I bet the bik wouldn't be too scary !
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 29 Feb 16 at 13:48
>> mind you, I bet the bik wouldn't be too scary !

Blood and sand ! Just checked the bik, £88 a month ( mine is nigh on £400 )

Could I ? Could I really ?

;-)
 The trouble with sunny days... - Dog
>>I'm worried she's on the turn.

I'm with ^this geyser .. neighb has a new Note oil burner, which I've driven a few times and I'm certainly in no hurry to repeat the exercise.

Gimme a Pulsar any thyme.
Qashqai passed its MOT ( phew ! ) and, after a trip to the supermarket in the Note she declared that while it was nice, she preferred the bigger boot in her own car, and the driving position, and the quieter petrol engine, and is happy to keep it for another year. ( phew again I've not long put 4 tyres on it )

The trouble with sunny days... - Skip
>> Qashqai passed its MOT ( phew ! ) and, after a trip to the supermarket
>> in the Note she declared that while it was nice, she preferred the bigger boot
>> in her own car, and the driving position, and the quieter petrol engine, and is
>> happy to keep it for another year. ( phew again I've not long put 4
>> tyres on it )
>>
>>
>>
And several door mirrors - sorry Runfer I couldn't resist ! :-)
Last edited by: Skip on Mon 29 Feb 16 at 19:32
Only ( ahem ) 3 in total, it was the two in the same month that stung a bit.

:-(

Anyway, I'll re-issue the memo...
Shame she didn't get a 370Z loaner. Plenty of room in a trailer for the large weekly shop.

As an aside, I knew an AA patrol man who owned a 350Z. He rated them very highly.
Brother in law had one for a while and I had a drive of it a couple of times. It was ok. Bit 'meh' as my son would say. Quick enough of course but in a disappointingly characterless way. In my humble that is. He didn't keep it long, didn't really gel with it.
My AA pal had one of the original 350Zs. Incredibly reliable according to him, and lots of fun in a hairy chested RWD kind of way.
Not my kind of car but preferable to a WRX, which really is in your face. And for someone with a LL moniker I simply don't like the sound they make.
 The trouble with sunny days... - Mapmaker
I thought salesmen always had clean cars!
 The trouble with sunny days... - Alanovich
In Runfer's world, a man is mainly judged on his footwear.
A decent pair of Clark's Air slip ons today.
 The trouble with sunny days... - tyrednemotional
>> A decent pair of Clark's Air slip ons .....
>>

....I rather thought that the OP's opinion was that these words should never appear together in the same sentence, let alone in close proximity.......
There is that.
>> A decent pair of Clark's Air slip ons today.

Are you quite all right Rob? You are beginning to worry me...

;-)
>> always had clean cars..

They are alleged to wear suits and ties too. Don't believe all you hear. Some of us are undercover...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 2 Mar 16 at 19:00
Sunny again here today. Car freaking filthy again too. Think I'll just wipe the glass on the door mirrors. It'll only get dirty again next week won't it?

They're all out up and down the street with their power washers etc. Just like every weekend here. I can almost hear that old Monkees track "Pleasant Valley Sunday" as I look at them...

It must be me that's wrong.

;-)
 The trouble with sunny days... - PeterS
Beautiful day here too, and far too nice to waste time cleaning the car!! I do like a clean car though, so I'll add my name to the list for a mini valet in the car-park at work on Monday morning :)
 The trouble with sunny days... - Zero
crap morning, stunning afternoon, been out train filing for a shot I have been working at and planning all week, and then a fantastic dog walk. Sitting in the sun drenched conservatory with a cup of coffee and a chocolate covered swiss roll.

Life is sweet.
The opposite here. After a stressful day with the 97 yo yesterday ( she lost her engagement ring so I had to backtrack everywhere...took hours & no success) I stayed over at the ex ex's. Her partner has a poorly shoulder so I gardened & split legs fir them this am in beautiful sunshine in the Aire valley. Now home in Ribblesdale it's murky, mist on the tops & cool.
Walking the Lakeland next then early doors beer, once I've unloaded the Aldi shopping.
A few pints in order tonight methinks...
Latest Forum Posts