Motoring Discussion > "Olympic lanes" in London. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 20

"Olympic lanes" in London. - FotheringtonTomas
Will these snarl up other traffic? £200 for improper use of!
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - Old Navy
>> Will these snarl up other traffic? £200 for improper use of!
>>

Of course they will, anything that reduces the road capacity will. As with bus lanes.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 29 Jul 10 at 13:14
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - Zero
Yes they will.

Lets face it, the only sensible idea is to ban all non olympic traffic for most of east london.
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - RattleandSmoke
Whats happened to buses? When the Commonwealth games were on Stagecoach bought a batch of at least 100 brand new double decker buses. These have now long since retired in Manchester but when the games finished they used them to replace their agining 1980's fleet.

The public transport system was so well organised that the Commonwealth games didn't have that much effect on traffic but games were not to same scale as the olympics.
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - Perky Penguin
Usual badly thought out rubbish! Inconvenience 99% of the London travellers so that a bunch of UK and International freeloaders can get around on an expenses paid junket while the rest of us who just want to get on with our work/lives have to be delayed and messed about.
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - jc2
And it was all going to be done using public transport???????????Another broken promise!
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - Robin O'Reliant
Nine billion pounds and rising to stage an event that few people care about and 99.9999999% of those who watch it will do so on TV anyway.

Complete and utter madness.
Hundreds of thousands of people have already expressed interest in tickets, and 10s of thousands have applied to go on the list of volunteers. Its only the worlds biggest sporting event, and I already have relatives from Australia queuing to use my spare bedrooms.

Few people care about it? its the biggest thing to happen to this country since 1948.
>> Nine billion pounds and rising

Oh and its actually tracking under budget at the moment, and the tory government is stripping more out, so its not rising.
Lies,damn lies and statistics!!!
Hundreds of thousands may well have "Expressed an Interest, but there are 60 million of us in UK! Melbourne is still paying off their Olympic debt and there is no good plan as to what will happen to all the stadia and building when the whole things is over. It will be a financial millstone to the country in general and London in particular, for years
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - Iffy
...I already have relatives from Australia queuing to use my spare bedrooms...

Yes, I had that problem when I lived in London.

Haven't heard from the Antipodean branch since I moved north.

Funny, that.

Read this weeks' papers-the sixty million figure is well out of date!!!
>> us in UK! Melbourne is still paying off their Olympic debt and there is no
>> good plan as to what will happen to all the stadia and building when the
>> whole things is over.

There are excelent plans to use the facilities once its over, those that are left as some are designed to come down or change use. All they need to do to complete the plan is let West Ham buy the main stadium.

Tell you want perky my waddling chum, while the games are on and we are all having a good time, you can crouch in your ice cave squawking "bah humbug"
Not at all zero! I shall watch it in the comfort of my own home, with snax and drinks on demand and at sensible prices, use my own toilet without having to queue for it and when the figures for the overall loss sustained by the enormous folly come in, say after a couple of years, you and I can recall this exchange of ideas made today. Put 1st August 2012 in your diary and e mail me!

jc2 - if 60 million is out of date then an even smaller %age of the population gives a doo-dah about the Games
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Sat 31 Jul 10 at 19:54
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - Robin O'Reliant
Every facility needed to stage the games was already in place without the need to spend a penny, from a world class velodrome in Manchester to a first rate shooting centre at Bisley in Surrey. Scandalous to think that the shooting facility for the games is going to be knocked down immediately after it is over. The whole expensive charade in East London is purely to feed the egos of politicians, if what we already have doesn't suit the corrupt freeloaders in the IOC they should have been told to take their games to someone who doesn't mind going bankrupt to hold them.
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - Iffy
...told to take their games to someone who doesn't mind going bankrupt to hold them...

I agree, although it's hard not to view the London games as an irrelevance as I'm sat here in my caravan in leafy North Yorkshire.

The Olympics would be great if we had money coming out of our ears and nothing to spend it on.

But we haven't, so they're not.
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - BobbyG
And why do Olmpics insist on no sponsorship?
They don't - they have a shed load of sponsors but they are still going to lose money!
Zero - Better make that 1st August 2014. I am so excited about the Olympics (NOT!) that my ability to read a calendar has failed
 "Olympic lanes" in London. - wotspur
The best thing that ought to come from the aftermath of the the Olympics is that there will be loads of empty accommodation used by the athletes.
These houses should be used by "our"MP's for their duration of service. They could be used for FREE as a 2nd home and kept up to reasonable standard and would prevent fraud flipping and profiteering by those elected.
Latest Forum Posts