Motoring Discussion > Rodent Damage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 43

Rodent Damage - Paul Robinson
I discovered at the weekend that I have rodent damage in the engine bay of my car - they've chewed loads of the bits of foam insulation that are all over the under bonnet area. Does anyone know if this will be covered by my comprehensive insurance policy?
 Rodent Damage - Runfer D'Hills
You'd think it should be, although I wouldn't know for sure. A friend once had the inside of his then new 3 series destroyed by his Beagles ( Spike and Henry as I recall ) while he went to buy a newspaper. His insurance covered that I want to remember.

Is this the car which is about to go back to Ling?

Err yes it is the car due to go back at the end of the month!
 Rodent Damage - Mapmaker
Which insurance company, and which policy? Can you point us to the Ts and Cs online and then we can read it for you.
 Rodent Damage - WillDeBeest
Catty MM - which, with hindsight, might have been a good idea.
};---)
It's a comprehensive policy with swiftcover.com. You have log into the site, so I don't think I can point to the 28 pages of Ts and Cs online. I can't see any specific exclusion for rodent damage, but I spoke to someone who said it wouldn't be covered because they only cover 'accidental damage'!
 Rodent Damage - VxFan
>> I don't think I can point to the 28 pages of Ts and Cs online.

Here you go

www.swiftcover.com/CarInsurance/policy-summary/1_1_176_CarPolicySummary.pdf
 Rodent Damage - CGNorwich
I think you will find that is the policy summary. Here is the full nine yards,

www.swiftcover.com/carinsurance/policy-wording/1_1_176_CarPolicyWording.pdf

No rodent damage exclusion clause!
 Rodent Damage - R.P.
Rats !
Almost certainly covered if you have accidental damage cover ( comprehensive)

Check your exclusions in you policy wording to be certain.
 Rodent Damage - Cliff Pope
>> Almost certainly covered if you have accidental damage cover ( comprehensive)

In the past I've had cars attacked by squirrels, mice, woodworm, bacteria (wood and carpet rot) and tin-worm (rust).

Why are some of those regarded as accidents and others as normal wear and tear? Is there a cut-off size for the guilty species?
 Rodent Damage - Fenlander
One bit of hope Paul is that the guy who appraised everything on my C5 on its collection after 3 hard family use years was more sympathetic than I expected so perhaps just leave it??

Even if the foam bits needed replacing at anything around £200 or so I'd not trouble the insurance co.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 7 Mar 16 at 16:14
It was reported on the second service, that it had to have before it goes back - so it's 'recorded' in the Mercedes system. Reading the 'fair wear and tear' booklet, there are sections for bodywork, glass, wheels, interior, under body but nothing for under bonnet! Bit anxious about what sort of liability I might expose myself to (at Mercedes prices) if I just leave it...
Understood... hard to give a further opinion really unless you have images??

Back in the day I've had mice pretty well destroy every non-metallic part under the bonnet of an old BX that was left parked under a hedge for a few months... devils.
I didn't like to ask, but curiousity has got the better of me, where was the car left long enough for mice to invade its privacy?

Having said that, a friend of mine worked at an all night petrol station when he was a student, and a lady came in very early one morning and asked him if he'd take a look at her car. He explained that he was just a part time cashier with no mechanical knowledge but she seemed upset and he took pity. She'd already explained that her car was making a funny wailing / screeching noise and emitting a strange burning smell, apparently from under the bonnet, and she was afraid to drive it any further.

On opening the bonnet he had to ask her, "erm, do you, or rather, I should really say, did you, have a cat?
 Rodent Damage - Cliff Pope
>> I didn't like to ask, but curiousity has got the better of me, where was
>> the car left long enough for mice to invade its privacy?
>>

Classic car, undergoing repairs. They loved gnawing the leather and nesting in the original horsehair seat stuffing.
Wow! I'm used to hearing that cars of that era could be opened with a lolly stick. It still comes as a surprise that a mouse could do it.
The car is back in the dealership for Wednesday and Thursday as the stop/start has stopped, so I'll make some discreet enquires then. Ideally I'd like to know all the facts before I decide how to deal with this, so if anyone does have some information or experience it would be good to know.
 Rodent Damage - R.P.
"as the stop/start has stopped"

That'll be the radio then. My X1 had that problem baffled the best Bavarian brains. Traced to a faulty radio..
 Rodent Damage - Zero
>> Understood... hard to give a further opinion really unless you have images??
>>
>> Back in the day I've had mice pretty well destroy every non-metallic part under the
>> bonnet of an old BX that was left parked under a hedge for a few
>> months... devils.

No, these are devils

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnUOsPOPWAE
If you shaved one of those and put a pair of bottle end glasses on it it'd look pretty much like my mother in law.
 Rodent Damage - Zero
they smell awful too
 Rodent Damage - legacylad
My ex MiL could well have been the discarded offspring of one. Probably the runt of the litter. But without their good looks.
 Rodent Damage - Ted

Vicious looking little critters...........you wouldn't want one of them up the leg of your panti-girdle, Z !
 Rodent Damage - R.P.
After spotting some "evidence" in the garage - I had to declare war last winter. Some excellent Rentokil traps did for quite a lot of them. Protect the bikes above all !. The price of peace is eternal vigilance etc.
 Rodent Damage - rtj70
>> Vicious looking little critters...........

What, the mother in laws?
 Rodent Damage - MD
Spray the engine bay and elsewhere with WD40

We've had Meece in all three vehicles. There's always a nest in the air boxes. Ruddy nuisance.
As well as the destruction to the aforementioned BX when we lived in our last very rural place they had at least a nibble at most of our car's underbonnet bits... until daughter wanted a cat and he sorted them.

In our current not so rural situation they are less of an issue but I'm paranoid about an inflatable boat (think more the type that would rescue you... not the beach toy type that would cause you to need rescue) stored in the garage as they love to chew large sections out of them. So we have a cat flap into the garage and he's so far prevented them establishing by conducting regular patrols.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 8 Mar 16 at 06:45
Spray the engine bay and elsewhere with WD40.

...then strike a match? Or will the mouse-chewed wiring do that bit?
 Rodent Damage - Dog
>>Spray the engine bay and elsewhere with WD40. ...then strike a match?

Reminds me ov when I was working? on some old Vauxhall which had the ballast resistor on the ign. coil, which was rather hot and arcing out. I sprayed the critter wiv WD40 and ... WHOOSH!!!
 Rodent Damage - MD
Annuver claim then Mush?
 Rodent Damage - Dog
I carried one of those dry powder fire extinguishers, which made more of a mess than the goddam fire!
 Rodent Damage - MD
>> Spray the engine bay and elsewhere with WD40.
>>
>> ...then strike a match? Or will the mouse-chewed wiring do that bit?
>>
Let me know.. I may well change my plans:-0
Any further on new car selection Paul?

I keep thinking I should go for something more tax efficient next time but every time I drive the Merc it seems worth paying for. It's getting old now in mileage terms but like a good coat or a well made pair of shoes that doesn't seem to matter really, and like the latter, it still polishes up well enough.
My car's not a company car - we pay for our own cars and charge the company for business use. I've been back to Ling and all being well I'm having a Skoda Octavia Scout 184 dsg. The C class goes back on the 29th now.
Last edited by: Paul Robinson on Thu 17 Mar 16 at 17:19
"Scout" - that's the sort of rufty tufty pumped up version isn't it? 4WD?
Yes, that's right - 4WD, so snow will be unlikely in the North Cotswolds for the next two years!
Heh heh !

Sounds nice though. Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks, will post a few comments about how I get on.
Please do. I'd probl'y get a cat too...

;-)

Paul that's a totally cool and practical choice... a car I've drifted close to one a few occasions but never quite got there.

Really like them... well done.

Poor old Ling we've given her major stress this time but as usual she's come through with a spot on service over the Cactus.
I could persuaded by a Yeti maybe ( indeed, who could refuse a determined one I suppose ) but only because they have a bigger boot than the Octavia and aren't as aesthetically challenged as the Superb.

I like the Octavia estate, but I'll keep an eye out for a Scout.
I love Ling's contribution to the "Out" campaign. Make sure you have the vou have the volume turned up.

www.lingscars.com/
Thanks David, I had intended just buying a car then I could keep it as long (or not) as I fancied, but after two years with an automatic again (I know you don't like them) I was keen for another - if you exclude dsg gearboxes choices get a bit limited, but conscious that people have mixed feelings about them, I thought a car from Ling would be a good trial and the the Scout with dsg ticked most of the rest of my boxes!
Latest Forum Posts