Motoring Discussion > Road warrior barrister Legal Questions
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 13

Road warrior barrister - Mapmaker
www.legalcheek.com/2016/03/cycling-qc-brings-uks-first-ever-private-prosecution-for-dangerous-driving/

According to the tweet at the bottom, he has just lost.
 Road warrior barrister - Ted

Knob.
 Road warrior barrister - Manatee
>>
>> Knob.

About b***** time I would say.

It's no joke being passed with an 18" gap to a car doing 50 or 60 and it does happen. They belt up behind you, there's a car coming the other way, and they either fail to look far enough ahead and get themselves into a position where they have no option but to aim for the gap; or they just don't give a s***.
 Road warrior barrister - Mapmaker
Manatee, I agree. I just don't understand why you would want to put yourself in that position. You only get one life, and it's all very well being right but dead.
 Road warrior barrister - Old Navy
>> They belt up behind you, there's a car coming the
>> other way, and they either fail to look far enough ahead and get themselves into
>> a position where they have no option but to aim for the gap; or they
>> just don't give a s***.
>>

I agree, but there are cyclists riding around with a camera looking for confrontation and not all have a clue about road use.
 Road warrior barrister - Slidingpillar
Years ago, I was passed descending a hill, by a VW camper so close it brushed my coat. I actually banged the van as it passed, but didn't fall off. Pedalled like stink and caught the van at the lights. Driver nearly messed his trousers, when an angry cyclist started beating on his van, he knew what he'd done and was clearly apologetic, so I didn't take the matter any further. I doubt he ever did something like that again.
 Road warrior barrister - Alanovich
First ever private prosecution? What? My mother brought a private prosecution for dangerous driving against the man who killed my father on his motorbike - she won it, the judge allotted 100% blame to the driver of the car and in summing up stated his amazement that the initial criminal prosecution had acquitted him. This was in 1983, is that not considered the "modern era" or something?

I wonder if there's anywhere online these days where I can find records of that prosecution?
 Road warrior barrister - No FM2R
I think I can if you email me the pertinent details. If you wish, of course, no offence taken otherwise.
 Road warrior barrister - Armel Coussine
I do believe I have posted at least twice in this thread, to the effect that I give cyclists a wide berth and don't blast past them closely at high speed.

But the posts are nowhere to be found. Is my bon enfant smugness causing irritation in the corridors of power? I see it as setting a good example.
 Road warrior barrister - bathtub tom
>> I do believe I have posted at least twice in this thread, to the effect
>> that I give cyclists a wide berth and don't blast past them closely at high
>> speed.
>> But the posts are nowhere to be found. Is my bon enfant smugness causing irritation
>> in the corridors of power? I see it as setting a good example.

You seem to often comment on your posts going adrift. If you find them, will you see if my marbles are there?
>> You seem to often comment on your posts going adrift.

Only when they do go adrift.

'Infamy! Infamy! They've all...' Oh never mind.
 Road warrior barrister - Manatee
Might you have posted it elsewhere - on another site, I mean?

(I'm being tactful).
>> on another site, I mean?

I don't post on any other site that I can remember, or hardly.
 Road warrior barrister - Bromptonaut
Martin Porter's blog can be found here:

thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/
Latest Forum Posts