Motoring Discussion > The Ides of March Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 19

The Ides of March - Runfer D'Hills
I passed my driving test on the 15th of March 1976, which means that in a couple of days I'll have had a driving licence for 40 years.

For 37 of of those years I've driven at least 35,000 miles in each of them and often more. I've driven in most European countries both on business and holiday, Canada, America and Brazil also. I've driven in deserts in summer, the Alps in winter and on mud tracks through South American jungles in rain storms.

All manner of cars were used, FWD, RWD, AWD ones, cars with petrol engines, Diesel engines, powerful engines, tiny engines, manuals, autos, cars with cross ply tyres, cars with drum brakes and cars with turbos. Cars with or without ABS, with or without traction control, with or without aircon. Cars with watch strap thin tyre profiles and cars with chunky off road tyres. Cars with phones built in and cars with sat navs.

I've driven all manner of motorbikes too ( although I confess to never having got around to taking a bike test ) but those mainly in South America where $ allow you to do almost anything without necessarily having the appropriate paperwork.

You'd think I'd be bored with driving by now but I still get a little fizz in my gut when setting off for a long journey, seat just so, steering wheel set to my liking, a full tank of fuel and I'm happy as can be.

Not managed to have an accident so far either despite my early driving style being comparable to the antics of an ignited witch.

I love driving, always have, and come the day I can't or I'm not allowed to I will find that one of the most depressing prospects possible.

Would you miss driving or are you quite happy to accept the advancing technology which may well lead to a mainly driverless scenario in years to come?
 The Ides of March - Roger.
As I'm 80 and my wife is 78, we dread the day when we'll not be competent to drive.

My father-in-law drove until he was 90 or so, using latterly a cheap car I provided from our garage stock. He used his own insurance, thankfully, not our trade policy!
His eyesight got too bad, as evidenced by his running up the rear end of a car he could not see, so we took back the car, for his own and other road users sakes.
 The Ides of March - sooty123
I think a bit of both, i don't mind driving and it can be pleasant at times but i think I'd quite like a driverless car. I think it will be interesting. You'll be able to do all sorts hopefully rather than worry about driving. Maybe read a book watch a film. People will no doubt look back and think it as odd as taking your clothes down the local river instead of using a washing machine. not all of course but some.
 The Ides of March - Dog
I've been driving for more years than you, but nowhere near many miles, although I've driven c10,000 cars in that time, mainly in the course of my work + owning c45 cars and a few vans.

I pressed the wrong button :)

Would I miss driving? .. simple answer is no. In fact I'm thinking along the lines of moving from the middle of nowhere to somewhere within easier reach of the shops in a few years. ... and the Med.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 12 Mar 16 at 11:30
 The Ides of March - jc2
I passed my driving test when I was 17;I am now 76.I have car,m/c,HGV(1) and fork lift truck.I have driven both manual & auto in both RHD & LHD in both RHD & LHD countries.
 The Ides of March - Fenlander
Similar history over a similar period to Runfer but without the high mileages. Still get the same buzz as I pull off the drive each time and long may that continue. Hate the bus/train or being driven.

Having said that as Dog mentions he's thinking we took a decision 4yrs ago to move from a rural location where we had to drive for everything to a village where we can walk or cycle for all daily needs so some weeks the car's not used for two or three days at a time.
 The Ides of March - Old Navy
Like many here I have driven lots of vehicles in lots of conditions in lots of countries over a period of 50 or so years without a fault accident, just two minor bumps when I have been stationary. Most folk here are motoring enthusiasts ranging from mild to serious. You either get Motoring or you don't, those who do take a pride in their standard of driving and knowledge of things motoring. Those who don't have no interest and it shows.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 12 Mar 16 at 13:54
 The Ides of March - Cliff Pope
I don't particulary like journeys, but I like driving cars I like, if that doesn't sound a bit perverse. I love owning cars, and would have many more in an ideal world.

It's better than public transport, which I've hardly used in the last 30 years, and when I have it's horrible. It's the public bit I think. I wouldn't mind a private railway carriage, or a "special", but I don't think they exist now.
 The Ides of March - Armel Coussine
'Aye, Caesar. But not gone.'
 The Ides of March - Boxsterboy
I love driving too, even though my main wheels are 'only' a van. I probably enjoy driving more now that I no longer commute in the car.
Well here's the thing, yesterday, for example, I was up and out early, 160 odd miles to my destination, long hard meeting, the same distance back, Traffic very much Fridayish, totally knackered when I got home around 7.00 in the evening. Unloaded the car, had a cuppa, relaxed for an hour or two and then went out for a swim which involved a 3.5 mile dash down country lanes to the hotel/leisure club I use.

Despite the long hard day in the car, I enjoyed the drive to and from the pool. In my head I was off duty and that time in the car was mine. ( if that makes any sense at all ) probably not, but I know what I mean.

;-)
 The Ides of March - R.P.
I was trying to figure - of all the wheeled machinery I've driven or ridden, I never ever driven a Mondeo...:-)
 The Ides of March - Old Navy
I can tick the Mondeo box, Ford lent me one for a couple of weeks while my Focus was awaiting parts for a recall job. Hands up anyone who has not driven a Transit.
 The Ides of March - R.P.
Several...
 The Ides of March - PeterS
I have driven plenty of transits over the years, but the only Mondeo I have driven was a 1.6 base model version of the original at launch (1993?) and was underwhelmed then... The Audi 80 was a much better company car choice!! Very very slow mind... 1.8 carburettor and wind up windows to boot :)
Driven plenty of Transits or equivalents. One of our reps has the new Mondeo estate. 2.0 diesel manual. I drove it a couple of weeks ago, only around the NEC complex but even then it was clear that it was a very nice thing to drive. Smooth, solid, comfortable and a very natural driving position.
 The Ides of March - MD
Wind up windows to the Boot. What car's that then?
 The Ides of March - Avant
Test passed in January 1966 so I'm 10 years your senior, Runfer. But I still enjoy driving, even doing a higher than expected annual mileage despite being semi-retired.

I've had many cars over the years, but none has been as fun to drive as the current petrol Octavia vRS. The V60 on order will be much easier for SWMBO to get in and out of, but I wonder if I'll still look forward to every journey as I do at the moment.
I know what you mean Avant, but I do sort of enjoy most cars, getting the best out of a mundane one can be as much fun as not quite pushing a capable one to its ( or your own ) limits.
 The Ides of March - legacylad
It's all very well saying that, I've had my share of low powered stuff, too numerous to mention, but if you live where there are nice open roads it's so much better to have a bit of oomph allowing you to safely overtake mimsers and caravanistas.
Being stuck behind such, and milk tankers, and Tonka tractors towing slurry trailers, would be so infuriating.
I've always enjoyed driving, even a three hour round commute in a variety of VW Transporters, but never driven more than 25k miles a year, now down to 6k. I even used to happily spend my days off chauffeuring the ex 250 miles a day in her diseasel just because I enjoyed driving. And it wasn't even a BMW.
Latest Forum Posts