Motoring Discussion > Car hire in the USA - prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 10

Car hire in the USA - prices - tyro
I have been travelling to the USA and hiring cars there for years, most recently in 2012.

We are heading off to America in a couple of months, and having booked the flights, I had a look at car hire, using a few of the regular online comparison sites. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was getting quoted at close to £1000 for 22 days. In 2012 I paid about just over £300 for 17 days.

What is going on? I'm 55 and have a clean license.

A quick look indicated that my problem was that I was looking to hire from Newark Airport. Any locations in New York City were expensive. But when I went and looked at provincial locations, the cost of hiring fell by half - still pricey, but more reasonable.

Any thoughts?
 Car hire in the USA - prices - No FM2R
www.rentalcars.com/

(I assume that you can use the site from the UK as well).
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 12 Mar 16 at 16:18
Thanks Mark, but they are quoting £880 for 22 days from Newark - not the worst I've seen, but still eye-watering.
 Car hire in the USA - prices - Zero
You are right, car hire at USA airports is more expensive, New York Airports even more so. Are you dropping off at same place?

Where is your ultimate destination? I'm sure you are not planning to climb off an international flight into New York and straight into a hire car for a long drive. Newark has excellent train connection.

Car hire in the USA - prices - Fursty Ferret
Just book Alamo Gold with one of the various discount codes knocking around the internet. Always worked for me in the USA.
 Car hire in the USA - prices - Runfer D'Hills
For what little it's worth, I find asking at the hotel I'm staying in if they can recommend a local car hire company usually leads to a bargain rather than going through one of the national chains. Doesn't help much if you need a car to use straight from an airport of course.
The plan is to spend the first 2 or 3 nights with an elderly relative near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Yes, I have driven it before, straight off the transatlantic flight, and it was fine.

Thanks for the tip about getting a train, Zero. It might be the most sensible solution.

A bit of googling has indicated that going just a few miles from the airport could save a lot of money.

Now, what's the best way to get from Newark Airport to Jersey City? Uber?
 Car hire in the USA - prices - No FM2R
Uber pick ups in the airports can sometimes be problematic.

Airtrain - Jersey City, 30 minutes, $11.00. (I think)

It can be easier for one of you to go and the others to wait in an airport coffee shop with the luggage.

By the way Airtrain will also take you to the main rail terminal, should you so wish.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 12 Mar 16 at 17:57
 Car hire in the USA - prices - sooty123
I know some airports have rules where only certain taxis can pick people up/drop off. Las Vegas springs to mind, not been there in a couple of years so i don'tknow how uber has affected it all.
Thanks gentlemen. Those bits of info will come in useful as I weigh up my options.
And now booked, picking up at Jersey City, and planning to use the Airtrain (thank for that tip.) Price looks like being around £350.

The difference compared to the price of picking up a car at the airport is totally amazing.
Latest Forum Posts