Motoring Discussion > Audi Q7 - Stolen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 52

Audi Q7 - Stolen - MD
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-35787606
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - sooty123
Pity no one took the kuga or better yet used it to block the q7 in and then lobbed the keys.
That must be awful getting robbed on your own doorstep, no doubt they'd have been eyeing the place up and figured out when he was leaving home.
Mind you a few people here leave their cars running and then pop back inside when it's frosty, none have ever been taken. Although we live out back of beyond so that helps.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - WillDeBeest
Yes, Sooty, because the obvious way to make your morning go better is to antagonize two tooled-up thugs by trapping them on your drive.
I never said it was perfect just a pity it didn't happen. Just an idle thought.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - zippy
Colleague at work was woken up a few years ago by masked men with baseball bats demanding the keys for is BMW M series. Cannot recall the model but it was £60k new.

With his kids in the house he just handed the keys over and they left without further hassle.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - legacylad
Now if it was America, colleague could have got out his armoury as they were leaving...
If they hadn't shot him first
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - DP
It's a dilemma. The correct thing to do is hand the keys over, but it's something you worked for, and why should the little scrotes get away with it? I thought the chap did well considering.

Sometimes the scum do get their comeuppance though. Three tried to take a friend's M3 off him outside his local takeaway back in the late 90s. Unfortunately for them, he was a serving Royal Marine at the time. They didn't get the car. Two of them were also quite happy to run away and leave the third one unconscious on the pavement as well. I think this annoyed him almost as much as the attempted theft to be honest.

It was all caught on CCTV which was doing the rounds for a bit as further shame to the miscreants. :-)
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - No FM2R
>>Sometimes the scum do get their comeuppance though.

Yes, they do.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv6_cukH5h0
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Shiny
ISIS supporters.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Avant
If so, they should have been driving a 1956 Morris.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Bromptonaut
Not a Q7 but a TT.

Just about to leave for work this morning when the door bell went. Policeman on doorstep tells me nothing to worry about but neighbour over the road's Audi car had been stolen during night. It's a 17 plate TT which he's had about 3 months. Asked if we'd seen/heard anything but the overnight gale reduced chances of that from low to zero.

Entry achieved via his patio doors and keys taken. They'd also taken keys for his wife's Focus but not touched it. Explained that although the Audi theft is likely to be a targeted professional job these guys often take run of the mill cars to use as 'clean' transport while doing a job. They may therefore come back for the Ford. Asked us to keep eyes skinned and ring 999 if we see anything suspicious.

Suspect the Audi will either be broken for parts or shipped to Middle East/Africa in short order.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - movilogo
>> It's a dilemma.

Is it? A stolen car can be replaced thru insurance and the experience (though horrible) will be forgotten as time fly by.

Few broken bones can't be replaced so easily and pain could last lifetime.

On a different note, if I had the power, I'd put these scums inside the car and push it from cliffs of Beachy Head and will upload the video in YouTube. Hopefully that would be last ever recorded incident of car jacking for years to come.

Audi Q7 - Stolen - TheManWithNoName
Does your neighbour have a garage?
If so, did he park the car inside or leave it out in all weathers whilst his garage was full of worthless junk and kids bikes?

Audi Q7 - Stolen - Old Navy
I suspect that most of these expensive cars that are a targeted theft are company leased cars and the user will not consider them worth more than a shurug of the shoulders and "I will get a new one in a few days".
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - DP
>> I suspect that most of these expensive cars that are a targeted theft are company
>> leased cars and the user will not consider them worth more than a shurug of
>> the shoulders and "I will get a new one in a few days".

Do you have any concept of BIK taxation on company cars, or modern company car policies?

A Q7 S-Line 3.0 TDI would cost a 40% taxpayer about £620 a month in company car tax. If they have private fuel on that, they won't get much change out of £900. Per month. To the Treasury. Nobody runs cars like these as company cars.

Put that to one side for a moment, and assume they do however, and you'll also find that most companies now enforce strict rules around employees care of their company cars, enforced by disciplinary procedure. In the event of theft or damage, there will be a detailed investigation, and a considerable insurance excess payable by the employee. My current employer charges the driver £750 for any non-recoverable claim. My previous employer would relieve drivers of £1,000.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that people can smash up or lose an expensive company asset and "shrug" from, but I can assure you they cannot.

Last edited by: DP on Wed 13 Sep 17 at 15:59
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Hard Cheese

>> A Q7 S-Line 3.0 TDI would cost a 40% taxpayer about £620 a month in
>> company car tax. If they have private fuel on that, they won't get much change
>> out of £900. Per month. To the Treasury. Nobody runs cars like these as company
>> cars.
>>

DP, many company directors/owners run cars on the business, they run one for the wife/husband as well, they pay themselves £100k/£200k/£300k + so £1000 a month as a car cost is affordable. They either have to pay the corporation/income tax on the cash and then buy/lease a car personally or put the car on the company.

I agree that not many would shrug their shoulders at the loss though some certainly would simply order another car with little or no concern.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - DP

>> DP, many company directors/owners run cars on the business, they run one for the wife/husband
>> as well, they pay themselves £100k/£200k/£300k + so £1000 a month as a car cost
>> is affordable. They either have to pay the corporation/income tax on the cash and then
>> buy/lease a car personally or put the car on the company.

Of course there are people who can afford £1000 a month + for a car, but such people in my experience will also do things in the most tax efficient way possible. And modern BIK rules are rendering all company cars ever less attractive with each passing year. When you are talking about something with a high P11D value and 150+g/km CO2 emissions, the personal tax bill just makes no sense any more, whether you can afford it or not.

I'd also question whether anyone who'd been carjacked or threatened in their own home for their keys, as many people are nowadays, would replace the car with the same, or be able to move on from it quickly at all. If this were to happen to me, it would be the end of "nice" car ownership for at least the foreseeable future.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Zero

>> A Q7 S-Line 3.0 TDI would cost a 40% taxpayer about £620 a month in
>> company car tax. If they have private fuel on that, they won't get much change
>> out of £900. Per month. To the Treasury. Nobody runs cars like these as company
>> cars.

Au contraire, Very Few private buyers buy brand brand new and runs cars like that. The BIK costs may be high, the private cost is higher. The vast majority will be a business lease.

And when you get that far up the company tree that you get that kind of option as a BIK they dont treat you like the minions further down the line if it gets nicked.
>> Does your neighbour have a garage?

Acquisition of the TT seemed to coincide with change in his work and he's turned garage into living space. Part office and part extension to kitchen/utility. Both cars live on drive as do pretty well everyone else's in road.
The guy a couple of doors along from me has a newish AMG 63 saloon always parked on his drive, his garage is empty. My Jazz is usually in the garage overnight, not that anyone is going to steal it. It is a street cred destroyer!

It is a "good" area though. :-)
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - bathtub tom
>> >> Does your neighbour have a garage?

A couple of my neighbours have extended over their driveways, part of their planning consent stated space for two cars off road must be included. They paved over part of their front gardens - we now have four extra cars parked on the road!
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - DP
You can find a map of vehicle and other crime in your area at police.uk It's interesting. Instances of vehicle crime in my town of 20,000 people seems to run at about one per month, so risk is low at present. But most high end car thefts are perpetrated by organised gangs from out of area who spot the car parked out and about and follow it home, or scout the area during the day to see what's about, and come back in the night tooled up.

Every house in my (short ) street has at least one garage, at a rough estimate there is about half a million quids worth of cars parked off road but in full sight of the road. There is the AMG 63, several big BMWs, MBs and AUDIs a few assorted Range Rovers and other SUVs, and four Jasses. Most less than three years old. I think my car is safe garaged or not. :-)
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Ted

I really can't think of anyone along our stretch who puts their car away at night apart from me. The classic always goes to bye-byes under cover ! We park one on the drive and one in the road depending on who arrives home when the drive is empty. I sometimes put the cars down the back beyond the 6ft gates on Fri and Sat night. Not for any risk of theft but to save me door mirrors from drunks and keep the cars out of the way of drunk drivers.

Two cars were stolen here a few years ago from driveways. A Nova SRi and a Puma. Both just driven away in the night shortly after a main dealer service...hmmmm!
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - R.P.
Just bought a safe for keys and other valuables. Well hidden ;-)
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Zero
I have a safe, still boxed and unused after 10 years. It will be installed to a solid wall and activated when the Beemer arrives.

How will they know the keys are in the safe ...

I reckon its better to leave the keys where they can easily be found so they take the car and don't turn the house over or worse, threaten the occupants.

A late friend of my parents always left fifty quid on the mantle piece on the basis that scum would think they've had a quick result and run rather than turn the place over.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - R.P.
I've got my 10mm masonry drill bit at the ready. Just putting the lounge back together again which involves erecting a floating shelf above the fireplace. Drill will be deployed thereafter ! :-)
What would you rather RP, the scum turn the house over and eventually find the safe, and then violate the place out of vindictiveness, keying the car on the way out, or that they pick up the keys off the side table and only take the car?
That's OK until you get someone desperate enough to chop off your periferal bits to persuade you to produce the keys. Is the car worth the hassle, that's what insurance is for.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 10:16
When I had glass patio doors fitted I was asked if I wanted the super everything proof locks fitted as an upgrade from the standard locks. On glass doors?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 10:34
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Zero
If the keys are in a safe you have more options

You can judge how serious or likely the threat to cut your dangly bits off is, and how you feel about your chances of tackling them.

You can give the combo or not based on that.

If you are out, they will damage the place getting in, likely trash it anyway, but iof the car is there, they aint getting it.

Options, its all about options.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - movilogo
>> Options, its all about options.

Research shows more is not always better :-)

Very few people will have the nerve strong enough to evaluate multiple options when threatened at point blank range.

Some links
hbr.org/2006/06/more-isnt-always-better
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Manatee

>> Options, its all about options.

Correct. I tend to hide or remove keys if we are away, but leave them in a findable position when we are at home.
>> When I had glass patio doors fitted I was asked if I wanted the super
>> everything proof locks fitted as an upgrade from the standard locks. On glass doors?

Housebreakers round here make a bealine for patio doors presumably 'cos, as well as being round the back and less overlooked they're relatively easy to force. Breaking a large sheet of toughened glass cannot be done without considerable noise.
My alarm system is very loud outside and almost unbearable inside. :-)
>> My alarm system is very loud outside and almost unbearable inside. :-)

By 7pm last night the victim of yesterday morning's theft had an alarm fitted.....
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - R.P.
The safe is viewed as a place to keep stuff safe when we're away from the house. Crime is very low around here. Acquisitive crime seems more towards farm stuff at the moment. As someone in the office remarked. You're more likely to be stabbed in Rhyl (a few miles away) than have your car nicked.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - DP
Many of these people will think nothing of sticking a gun to your head, threatening your wife and children, or doing whatever it takes if they want the car badly enough. I read a story on another forum of someone who woke up one morning, got up and stubbed their toe on a house brick which was lying in next to the bed. When they walked down the stairs they found the front door wide open, and various valuables, laptop, tablets, phones etc stuff missing, including both car keys and both cars.

The police told them that one of the robbers had likely stood over them while sleeping with the brick in hand, ready to deal with them if they'd woken up, or to encourage the victim's co-operation had they been unable to find what they were looking for.

Its a lump of metal and it can be replaced. Your skull can't. My keys are out of sight from any window, and out of reach from fishing rods through letterboxes etc, but if they get in the house they will find them easily. Better that way than the likely alternatives.
Last edited by: DP on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 13:40
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - TheManWithNoName
>> My alarm system is very loud outside and almost unbearable inside. :-)

When's the last time anyone ever reacted to an alarm going off?
My neighbors do, the last time mine alarmed (I was abroad and it was a low backup battery) my next door phoned my nearby SiL and they checked out the house and reset the alarm.

I suppose it depends on the area.
>> >> My alarm system is very loud outside and almost unbearable inside. :-)
>>
>> When's the last time anyone ever reacted to an alarm going off?
>>

If it's the sounder that's *incredibly* loud, whoever is in the house will take notice. I don't think very many people would be able to stay in a house with a sounder going full off.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - R.P.
Both dogs are on a hair trigger here at night. I would expect some forewarning of someone approaching the house. We currently have a dusk until dawn light on the garage. Being confronted by a burglar/robber I expect one would make some sort of risk assessment and hand the keys over if there was a threat.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 18:39
>> If it's the sounder that's *incredibly* loud, whoever is in the house will take notice.
>> I don't think very many people would be able to stay in a house with
>> a sounder going full off.
>>

My house has internal and external Sounders, also an illuminated external alarm box with a strobe light. One of these.

www.pyronix.co.uk/products-and-solutions/deltabell-plus
> My house has internal and external Sounders, also an illuminated external alarm box with a
>> strobe light. One of these.
>>
>> www.pyronix.co.uk/products-and-solutions/deltabell-plus
>>

A family member used to fit them, there's some at about 130db now. No-one would be hanging around at that level of noise.
It's all about deterrence, should anyone want to break into a house on my street I would hope that they would not choose one of the houses with a very obvious active alarm system. You would definitely not want to be in my house with the alarm sounding. All entrance doors are alarmed and there are switchable PIR zones. If anyone tried to enter through a window a PIR would trip the alarm.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 19:54
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - smokie
Must be a rough neighbourhood to go to all that trouble... :-)
If you were a crook what would you rather turn over somewhere nice with lots of nice goodies or a doss house? It is a reasonably good area, all bungalows, with excellent road and rail links, average house sale time one week. The local estate agents have waiting lists.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Duncan
>> Must be a rough neighbourhood to go to all that trouble... :-)
>>

Scotland.
>> Scotland.
>>

Exactly, there are those that know and those who think they know, (and pay for our lifestyle and infrastructure).

www.theforthbridges.org/queensferry-crossing/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 22:18
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Lygonos
Bargain!

1/60th of an HS2 link.
 Audi Q7 - Stolen - Duncan

>> Exactly, there are those that know and those who think they know, (and pay for
>> our lifestyle and infrastructure).
>>
>> www.theforthbridges.org/queensferry-crossing/
>>

Why don't they update their website?
Lifestyle, little traffic so they have gone home. :-)

You could phone and ask.

www.travelinescotland.com
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 22:40
Latest Forum Posts